A New Challenger!

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Rasher2k
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

A New Challenger!

Post by Rasher2k »

This could be an interesting idea, or perhaps just plain insanity.

Instead of trying to break high-score records, try finishing games with the lowest score possible! Impossible? How much MORE skill would it take to dodge bullets and enemies knowing each one you kill will take you futher from your goal?

Of course you're going to have to slay the pesky few that stand in your way, and maybe the bosses but it'd be a hell of a bigger challenge doing it this way than letting lamers leech a meaningless score out of it.

They think they've mastered a game, while all they've done is found a potential 'glitch' and exploited it to death. Game companies, hire these people for your game testers so you can weed out the leeching bugs to let your games create realistic comparisons between the true masters out there...

Until then, just go for the low score!
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

hehe interesting idea actually :)
QRS
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

yeah, it would be nice to have multiple leader boards for different strategies but it could be complicated, i think pat was toying with a similar idea for the future. the lowest score completion is a great idea. and it's already (sort of with experience points) being implimented with the cadash games.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... rt&tourn=0
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I think that would really only apply to a handful of games that have an ending.

It could be interesting for certain games though.

For many games, there is no "ending". You can play forever.

Special rules would have to be set for each game saying something like minimum score after completing stage 20, or stage 50, etc.

Also for certain games like the pacman type games. It wouldn't be that hard to minimize your score by eating no monsters and eating no fruit.

I could see doing that for a special event or a weekly challenge type thing where it's a game where it does actually take some or different skill to avoid scoring more points than you must score to complete levels, waves, boards, etc.
Tenchi
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Tenchi »

I wonder what the min score on a completed dangun feveron would be. 5 points?

Now THAT would be a challenge!
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

Excellent idea. :D :D :D

Try this one on Wonder Boy : I go level 4-3 without using the axe, except on bosses :-) A challenge for QRS and Essekappa :-)