kangaroo kangarob

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

kangaroo kangarob

Post by Chad »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/rgb_kang ... mame60.zip

can't play this back anywhere with any mame, declared to have been recorded on a non-offical mame. Does anyone think it's time we stop allowing unofficial mames? [official being the widely most use mame version for each operating system, uniXwindows/cli/dos/mame32/mac]
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I don't think so. There are plenty of useful features in non-official MAME versions. You only need to go back to the NVidia hardware stretch + bilinear filter issue. The only official version that can toggle that feature is the OpenGL build of XMAME. Under Windows, you'll need to StretchMAME for that, as it makes use of Direct3D. Also, StretchMAME apparently has other features that help INP playback too, but this also makes it incompatible with official MAME builds. Then there are the foreign language versions, although these generally don't have playback issues.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Sure, unofficial mames have cool options that are usefull for playing. But they are different builds and thus different executables and thus potential for playback problems. Of course "General"ly mame has no playback problems, but i don't care about the 90% that don't have problems, i care about the 10% or so of recordings (when you add in more executables and more versions) that you have to keep 100 megs *more* of extra versioned executables lying around to allow a few recordings to playback properly.

eh just a thought. can anyone playback this kangaroo recording though?
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Nope. But what I saw of one of them definitely looked like leeching.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

I agree with Chad on this one, if it is nearly impossible to playback, then I should not be allowed. I could only playback the start of it, before it get out of synch.

Seems like he is using the same technique as Ben Jos Walbeehm, and I made a post about his recordings, cause I thought it was some kind af leeching, so if what Retro-B.jp is doing is illegal, so is Ben Jos Walbeehm recordings.

viewtopic.php?t=9323&highlight=kangaroo

But you can only get 1 extra lift in the game, so maybe that is not "reel" leeching, but only a cheap trick he is using.
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

zereod because 3 people can't get it to playback, that rule is proly just as good as not allowing unofficial mames i guess. so the unofficially recorded games that do playback with official mames will be ok.
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Can you leech in Kangaroo?

Given you have a timer I didn't think so. Plus at least for me that timer counts down in a time you can usually only get around 10k or maybe abit more if you get lucky and punch a lot of gorillas.

To stay on the screen punching apples and monkeys until the timer runs out isn't leeching IMHO.

or are you referring to some other cheap trick like just staying near the left top of the 1st board so that 1 monkey keeps dropping apples at a fast rate for 200 pts each? Even then I don't think you would have time before you lose a life to get 40000 points to get that extra man to make it a cyclic leeching thing that should be banned.

Sure you can do that to a degree but then you end the level and move on to the next versus letting your guy die off and replaying the same level over and over and over again. That definitely would be illegal leeching.

Just curious what you saw...how far did the score get on the playback? Kangaroo is 1 game I have been playing some which is the only reason I ask. What I do in playing could be called leeching in the casual sense as I get lots of fruit and monkeys etc. and wait until the bonus timer is down to around 200-300 before I complete it. Sure I could have run straight through it and completed it with like 1400-1600 bonus left.
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by kfx »

The leecing is about punching gorilas for 800 points each time, I can´t remember what his score was b4 the recording got out of synch, but if you want to see what it´s all about, then wach one of Ben Jos Walbeehm recordings, he is punching gorialas on level 2, and he keeps doing it until the timer is 0 and he dies.
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh