QRS recording of overtop

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

QRS recording of overtop

Post by cosumel »

Minor change. Time = 3'36'11 = 216.11
260.00 - 216.11 = 43.89 * 100 = 4389
Score posted is 4523.
Please confirm.
Ray
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

done, post url next time if possible, incidentally i can't playback bbh's 1rst place using dos and win98se, sound or no sound, the cycle crashes at the first turn.

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/bbh_over ... m35b12.zip

pat's gets a little further two checkpoints but crashes still

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/pat_over ... n35b12.zip
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

I just tried my old recording with DOS m35b12 and sound on, and it played back perfectly. Note that I'm using Windows 98 too, I still don't think the OS has anything to do with playback.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

could it be the sound system? if sound has something to do with the recording maybe it has to be played back with the same sound #. what does Ensoniq sound mean? can I have it installed via software or is it a hardware thing.
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Chad wrote:could it be the sound system? if sound has something to do with the recording maybe it has to be played back with the same sound #. what does Ensoniq sound mean? can I have it installed via software or is it a hardware thing.
Ensoniq is just a soundcard type, that's all. I can't recall a single instance in which the soundcard type affected playback... no offense Chad, but you have some strange theories sometimes. :)

I felt like playing some more Over Top so I uploaded a new recording, done with win35tg3. Hopefully there are no problems.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

damn, my icon mentor keeps changing... what am i going to do??? :oops: well i only asumed if different sound frequencies change playback, the a sound driver change has got to change the playbacks as well. not a bad theory i think, since i don't see anyone saying they can play esparodeo back when you record with ensonique sound. of course i can play lots of other games you record with back so i'm thinking it's soundDriver+game dependent...
-skito
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Chad wrote:damn, my icon mentor keeps changing... what am i going to do??? :oops:
KEKEKEKEKE
well i only asumed if different sound frequencies change playback, the a sound driver change has got to change the playbacks as well. not a bad theory i think, since i don't see anyone saying they can play esparodeo back when you record with ensonique sound. of course i can play lots of other games you record with back so i'm thinking it's soundDriver+game dependent...
"esparodeo"? was that intentional?

I don't know, I still see no proof as to whether or not the soundcard makes any difference. ESPRade is just a picky game in general, I can't get my own recordings to play back when I record with sound on Windows or MAME32 0.61. The only reliable version for recording with sound seems to be mame32-37b13, and that only applies to espradeo (which was called esprade in 37b13)

But that was ESPRade, this is Over Top. I can't recall any instances in which specific sound discrepancies like samplerate played a part in getting a Neo-Geo game to playback.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

esp.rodeo and ensonique were intentional. yeah it could be just the freaky randomness esp has but then again i thought mame cleanly seeded all of the random things (which were in the neogeo drivers) but i didn't see much of any other seeders in other drivers...
-skito