Paperboy Scoring

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Paperboy Scoring

Post by DRN »

Not really important this one but I was just wondering why when submitting for Paperboy you have to include all three streets as a combined score. Thats three seperate games on one inp! Surely it would be better to have it split into easy, middle and hard. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

I agree!
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by cosumel »

Paperboy is not split?! That makes no sense.

Of course my opinion makes little difference here. I only have a keyboard and can't even get through Easy :oops:
Ray
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
gameguru
Button Masher
Button Masher

pb

Post by gameguru »

yeah, it should be split!!

Indiana Jones should be split into three as well!

GG
"Life Is Short, Play MAME!"
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Paperboy - I wouldn't have enough knowledge to give an opinion, but my opinion on Indiana Jones may help

Indiana Jones - I will give you a 99.9 % guarantee that Pat will not split that one. The rule is that the paths have do be significantly different - but there is no path difference whatsoever in Jones - the easy path eventually meets the start of the medium path, which eventually meets at the start of the hard path. Actually, there should be a rule change forcing everyone to start at level 1... but alas that's only my opinion... :(
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Paperboy...

Post by AL »

Yes , this should be split , but like arcade , should also maybe have a combined score also ?

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by cosumel »

gameboy9 wrote:
Indiana Jones - The rule is that the paths have do be significantly different - but there is no path difference whatsoever in Jones - the easy path eventually meets the start of the medium path, which eventually meets at the start of the hard path.
Sorry, GB, but that is not right. The paths are not concurrent. The easy path only meets the others at the rope bridge. I've played them all and they are very much different. The easy board does not have the jumps in the mine carts and olny the hard path has the missing rails. Points are more in hard as well. The boards go 1,2,3,4,rope in easy, 5,6,7,8,rope in medium and 9,10,11,12,rope in hard. They are three separate games and no one playing easy can come close to beating someone playing hard. It would make a more interesting competition to make it three games, but not really necessaary.
Ray
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Oh...

well...

you showed me! :D
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Well, why should you split the courses if you get more points on one than the other? Just like Shock Troopers, you must FIND the best path to get the most points. Same with Darius. Would you like a bunch of splits just because you can choose from various paths on Darius? I think not!
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:Well, why should you split the courses if you get more points on one than the other? Just like Shock Troopers, you must FIND the best path to get the most points. Same with Darius. Would you like a bunch of splits just because you can choose from various paths on Darius? I think not!
I'm all for splitting Shock Troopers up to accomodate all 9 routes :D :D ^_^
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

BBH wrote:I'm all for splitting Shock Troopers up to accomodate all 9 routes :D :D ^_^
Both romsets too. ;)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mahlemiut wrote:
BBH wrote:I'm all for splitting Shock Troopers up to accomodate all 9 routes :D :D ^_^
Both romsets too. ;)
Even better! it would be such a nice excuse for me to actually play something other than Jungle-Valley for once too.
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Maybe that should be a possible special event idea - we really shouldn't split such games in regulation play, but maybe we could do such a thing for an MARP special event - whatever it would be called.
cosumel
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by cosumel »

gameboy9 wrote:Maybe that should be a possible special event idea - we really shouldn't split such games in regulation play, but maybe we could do such a thing for an MARP special event - whatever it would be called.
Now THERE is an idea. Splitting games like that would only help those who are good at the game get more 100's and unbalance the grand leaderboard, but in a special area. . . Very interesting!
Ray
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

The one who thinks Paperboy should not be split knows absolutely nothing of the game. Also the scoring/free men at some mame version is set way too easy.

I think combined score deeply sucks, you have to play three games in same fucking inp.

I also want to complain that Pat L is not active enough, no answer here(or before at same subject), no answer at marble-thread. Should everything be voted before making a decision around here.