Paperboy Scoring

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

You know something... if we didn't have a leaderboard, we wouldn't have this problem: we could split up a game however we want (except two player games), and it wouldn't matter!

Think about that for a while - then throw the thought away like you thought it was an advertisement mailed to you. :)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

gameboy9 wrote:You know something... if we didn't have a leaderboard, we wouldn't have this problem: we could split up a game however we want (except two player games), and it wouldn't matter!

Think about that for a while - then throw the thought away like you thought it was an advertisement mailed to you. :)

Umm...well...hmmm...

Geebee, What?

We could not manage without leaderboard, right?

I dunno which game you were talking about previously, but Paperboy should be splitted. This has been conversated before, and agreed previously, nothing just have been done, why, don't ask me.

...ummm....I take it you were talking about Indy(the amazing shocktrooper comments...) lets stick to the original subject, which was Paperboy!

Why do you think TG approves combined score for Paperboy...maybe because they wanted to include all tracks for it...wait, watching TG database...the old "combined score has been wiped out, Good!, it was fraud anyway. It seems that now they have scores atleast for Easy and Hard street in the database.

Hmmm...Easy street first place is Pat Laffaye with 260K, hahahahaha, no way there must be an error, the maximum should be around 120K....

But anyway, we should split the darn game!
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Here are couple of postings from TG board:

Paperboy
As I see at TG database Easy street top 2 scores are bogus:
First place could be "grand slam"-score-means easy+middle+hard...But I believe highest possible should be around 750K(120 easy+240middle+360hard). There is a trick that gives you around Million points, I believe 1st score unfairly uses it.

If my memory serves me right, possible score for Easy street is around 120K(with right,most common settings, I guess defaults). =>which makes me wonder of Pat's score.

You get 3000 points every paperboy you have in the end. For middleroad possible score is double compared to easy...and hardroad three times, including all bonuses(like endboy bonus).

Mame 34final had default settings set to 4boys at start, bonuslad at 15000(and couple later on,I think), diff "middle hard"...These might be(were) the default settings for the game around the world. Later on at mame35orsomething you were getting much more bonusguys along the way, which annoingly affected the score.

TJT

------------

tommi - 09:12am Jun 24, 2002 (#193.1.1 of 782)

more info
My friend, who was very good PB player just mailed me with this info(I envy hes great memory):
JST's scores at Helsinki "Lintsi" arcade:

Easy Street 115K Middle Road 225K Hard Way 370K

Settings: 3 men in all, no extras!
MDenham
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by MDenham »

BBH wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote:Well, why should you split the courses if you get more points on one than the other? Just like Shock Troopers, you must FIND the best path to get the most points. Same with Darius. Would you like a bunch of splits just because you can choose from various paths on Darius? I think not!
I'm all for splitting Shock Troopers up to accomodate all 9 routes :D :D ^_^
Yeah, and then we can re-split Magical Drop 2 and 3. :->
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Paperboy...

Post by AL »

Tommi ,

Yes , the TG Top score for ' Easy Street ' is bogus . He's either used the 'Grandstand ' or ' Lawnmower ' trick .

As for Pat's score , I assume it's legit as it was done under the watchful eye of a TG Judge ( as apparently was the 1m score...))

As for scores on easy street , memory tells me of scores in the 150-160k zone . I think my best was 156k?

And as for Hard Street , ( and one for the TG Ref's ) , the top scores on our machines were @ 800k . How ? You do the Grandstand thing , but instead of completing the ' extra ' tracks , once you get by the Grandstand , simply go to your immediate left , crash into the Kerb , and 90% of the time you'll get 60-65k damage bonus added to your score .

So say on a good game you'll get 7 x 60k = 420k extra score , plus whatever you score ' normally ' . Note : unlike the Easy Street bug , you don't get extra men for hitting bins...etc. Only score .

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Wow, didn't know that. So my calculations are about right, when talking about Hardway: 800-420=380

I wonder how many boys the game gave you? 156 sounds a bit high for 3men :roll:
As said before, our local gave only 3, in all.

Now all I have to do is to check whatta hell "kerb" means...
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

It's not kerb, it's curb. It's the side of the street that is raised that leads to the sidewalk (I believe you'll understand that.)
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Paperboy...

Post by AL »

Tommi : Definitely 3 men / Boy start . And you will find my spelling and meaning / definition of the word " kerb " is correct .

Joey : get a dictionary , you won't find the meaning of ' life ' there , but you will find the meaning of the word " kerb " , as opposed to " curb " :)
Unless of course " curb " is one of those ' American Spellings ' . Enlighten me ?

AL

p.s Tommi , just in case , " Sidewalk " = " Pavement "
***PL***
Editor

Paperboy splits

Post by ***PL*** »

Since most of you seem to be complaining about this game, I've decided to split it 4 ways. 8) You were never required to submit one INP with three games, but to remain competitive that is what players tended to do. Paperboy itself will remain the Grandslam score (sum of Easy, Medium, Hard). You must play each once for a total of three plays in the INP. For those of you that can't stand the thought of playing three times in a row, you can now play each one individually. :roll: My opinion is that you've just given Donut 300 easy points, but alas that is another topic. :wink:

The TG website is messed up as far as the scoring bucket for this game, but a fix is in the works. All of the scores under Easy are really Grand Slam scores; none are listed under the others. I have my doubts about the 1.1M, but I'm certain the Grandstand cheat if had been used wasn't to its full potential. Basically if you go though once it's worth 1M on top of your existing score. Going through twice is worth 10M more. If someone does what Al described under Hard Way it would be difficult to pick up, so it should probably be allowed under TG (not MARP) because there is no way to prevent it.

TGTS for this game is under review as well and will be applied to MARP when determined. As always and for any game, you must play defaults or TGTS. This rule applies to Marble Madness as well--if MAME changed the defaults too bad, this is an INP depository and we won't delete recordings because of development changes. You can always raise the bar by stating in your comments TGTS. :!:
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Paperboy...

Post by sikraiken »

AL wrote:Tommi : Definitely 3 men / Boy start . And you will find my spelling and meaning / definition of the word " kerb " is correct .

Joey : get a dictionary , you won't find the meaning of ' life ' there , but you will find the meaning of the word " kerb " , as opposed to " curb " :)
Unless of course " curb " is one of those ' American Spellings ' . Enlighten me ?
It's a variant spelling. Kerb = Curb, we just spell it differently. We are both right. :) I guess kerb is more used in Europe.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Paperboy...

Post by The TJT »

AL wrote: p.s Tommi , just in case , " Sidewalk " = " Pavement "
Ummh, your sense of humour is a killer, should have kept my mouth shut :oops:

For Pat, Thank you Patrick, finally, I was beginning to doubt you'd banned My messages. Will get to Paperboy later, when I get my joystick working.

You think kerb(rather British, right?) trick should not be used at Marp, fine, I share your opinion, because it depends on luck(and you miss the track course play).

I strongly disagree about what you said about mame settings though. I believe settings can be decided case-specificly for a game. If mamedevs decide to set difficulty to too easy, should earlier and better scores be overwhelmed by crap using easy settings?

Unfortunately this is the case for Marble, and Paperboy(,Puzzledepon). Maybe I should do a poll for this setting thing.

Pat, you know Marble should be moved to Marble2, Marble2 to Marble3 etc.
Or the alternative is to use same difficulty-level for all romsets
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

As far as I'm aware the 'grandstand' trick dosent work on mame. I've never got it to work anyway. Perhaps it was a bug on an older romset maybe?
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Grandstand Trick

Post by AL »

It does work , as does the ' Lawnmower ' trick . I did it in an earlier MAME version , and I think I sent the INP to JoustGod , and a few others .

However I will say this . There was one arcade where the ' Grandstand trick ' was un-attainable ( but the ' Lawnmower trick ' still worked ) . And this was the same arcade which had a T+F machine with a 3rd round Long Jump qualifying of 10 meters ??????

Go figure.....?

AL
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Grandstand Trick

Post by The TJT »

AL wrote: And this was the same arcade which had a T+F machine with a 3rd round Long Jump qualifying of 10 meters ??????
AL
Tseh, your humour IS a killer :lol:
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

No kidding....

Post by AL »

Seriously ! There was one machine I played which had the following 3rd Match qualifying : 100m = 8sec50 , Long Jump = 10m00 , Javelin = 97m00 , 110M Dash = 10sec00 , Hammer = 95m00 , High Jump = 2m45 .

The game gave an extra man at 100k , always lost a man at the 10m Long Jump ( no prizes there...) . Needless to say , couldn't marathon this .
And can't for the life of me , figure-out how the settings were like this .

But as Kurt Angle says..." It's True , It's True..."

AL

p.s Kurt Angle = Popular American Wrestler........