Konami's disdain for the US market.

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

BBH
Editor

Konami's disdain for the US market.

Post by BBH »

Playing the lame non-extra lives version of Sunset Riders got me thinking... I've talked about this before with Barry on IRC, but figured I may as well post this here. It seems that Konami really, really, really hates US players, and tries to make things as tough as possible for them in their arcade games. Seriously. Here's a list of all the differences I've noticed in games from the World/Japan/whatever romsets to the US versions, add to it if you've noticed any other odd differences between clones (other companies allowed too of course, since Barry knows a lot more about CPS2 default settings differences... and of course the Namco Dragon Saber thing that Joey has pointed out)

Aliens - Japanese version cuts out the "3D" driving stages... I guess in a way that's an extra the World/US got. But the other differences aren't - in the Japanese version you get to keep your weapon between levels instead of going back to the pea shooter. Japanese version starts putting life-up items in stages when your hit points drop to 5, on the World they don't appear until 4, and on the US you have to be down to 3 hit points before you can recover any life.

Bucky O' Hare - on the World version picking up life items when your bar is full gives you a "1-Up" and carries over to the next life. US version doesn't fill the bar past the maximum. US has a different button configuration (?)

Crime Fighters - World/Japan versions give you a "block" lifebar that fills back up between levels, and has an extra third button for the reverse kick. US version does away with the third button, and replaced the life bar with a lame Gauntlet-style "countdown"... meaning you lose life even when you're not getting hit. Pretty much turns the game into a pure quarter-muncher.

Lightning Fighters - the only exception to the rule?!? US version starts you off with one bomb, and when you die you pick up where you left off. Trigon (the Japanese version) starts you with no bombs and when you die you go back in the level. Wow...

The Simpsons - I believe that on the Japanese version life-ups carry over to the next life, like on Bucky O' Hare? Something like that. I'm too lazy to check now. :) Japanese version also has some extra weapons you can pick up.

Thunder Cross - US and Japanese versions are kinda different, really... most notable change is that the US version has a smart bomb called "L'il Baby" that destroys everything on the screen... which is pretty much needed for the lame enemies they added that when shot, blow up into a bunch of bullets, including a homing bullet. What the hell were they thinking?

Sunset Riders - World version awards extras at 20k and 200k, plus has a 1-Up that can be picked up on the Chief Scalpem level. No extras at all on the US version, although the second loop doesn't seem to be any harder than the first...? A minor consolation...

X-Men - Japanese version actually has life-ups, unlike the US version. Japanese version has an extra attack when pushing df+Attack, which makes fighting bosses much easier. Using a mutant power on the Japanese version uses one of the "reserve" balls first, on the US it automatically tries to drain your life bar before using the extra reserves.
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Konami's disdain for the US market.

Post by mahlemiut »

BBH wrote:Lightning Fighters - the only exception to the rule?!? US version starts you off with one bomb, and when you die you pick up where you left off. Trigon (the Japanese version) starts you with no bombs and when you die you go back in the level. Wow...
Actually, the US version of Trojan has you lose one energy bar for pretty much all hits, but the Japanese version (which I played in the arcades too) has various amounts of damage. No wonder I never finished that version.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Here's the default settings for each region of Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix / Pocket Fighter:

Japan, Euro, Oceania: Normal difficulty (level 2), Speed = Free Select.

USA, Brazil, Hispanic: Hard 3 difficulty (level 6 or 7?), Speed = Free Select.

Asia: Expert difficulty (level 8 - maximum possible). Speed = Turbo 4 (go figure).
- Barry Rodewald
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Here's another just because I'm a bit bored...

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (revision 980904):

Japan: Normal difficulty, Speed = Turbo 1
USA: Hard 3 difficulty, Speed = Turbo 2
Hispanic: Same as USA.
Oceania: Hard 3 difficulty, Speed = Free Select 1
Asia: Expert difficulty, Speed = Free Select 1
Euro: Same as Oceania
Brazil: Same as USA
- Barry Rodewald
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

mahlemiut wrote:Here's another just because I'm a bit bored...

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (revision 980904):

Japan: Normal difficulty, Speed = Turbo 1
USA: Hard 3 difficulty, Speed = Turbo 2
Hispanic: Same as USA.
Oceania: Hard 3 difficulty, Speed = Free Select 1
Asia: Expert difficulty, Speed = Free Select 1
Euro: Same as Oceania
Brazil: Same as USA
Notice that if the revision is newer usually the game is harder.The only exceptions are probably Namco games(i.e Rolling Thunder 1 & 2).
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mahlemiut wrote:
BBH wrote:Lightning Fighters - the only exception to the rule?!? US version starts you off with one bomb, and when you die you pick up where you left off. Trigon (the Japanese version) starts you with no bombs and when you die you go back in the level. Wow...
Actually, the US version of Trojan has you lose one energy bar for pretty much all hits, but the Japanese version (which I played in the arcades too) has various amounts of damage. No wonder I never finished that version.
ah ha... well that wasn't a Konami game ;) so far that sounds like the only Capcom game that's actually different in terms of gameplay... the CPS2 games all play the same, they're only different on the default soft dip switch settings. Meaning you can make an Asian version as easy as the Japanese one.

isn't there something about the Japanese version of The Main Event that's easier?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

BBH wrote:isn't there something about the Japanese version of The Main Event that's easier?
It actually has an ending. Ring no Ohja ends when you become champion, and gives a huge bonus for the amount of energy you have left.
- Barry Rodewald
MKL
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by MKL »

As to Capcom games, the US version of Ghouls'n Ghosts is also very different from the Japanese one (Daimakaimura):

1) You start from the point where you died (or very close to that), so that progressing into the game becomes much easier. In the world or japan versions you only start from either the beginning or middle of a level.

2) End-of-level bosses require less shots than their World or Japan counterparts to be disposed of. A case in point is level 1 boss, who bites the dust after only 8 shots in the head (in World and Japan 15 shots). Note that this is independent of difficulty level chosen, so that changing difficulty settings does not help...

3) You can find the bronze armour in chests where in the World or Japan versions it would never turn up. A couple of examples: in the second chest of level 2 (rock turtles section) and in the second of level 5 (and many more I can’t recall now).
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Neo Drift Out: US Version seems to steer easier than the Europe version -> causes faster times. This was discovered in Knockout round 1... two recordings got disqualified because of it. (Gameboy9's, and Gameboy9's :roll: )
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net