B-Wings (Alt Ver.?) my score

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

B-Wings (Alt Ver.?) my score

Post by simpsons99 »

I noticed Tar's score was confirmed today. This happened after I had beaten the score.. But why was his score looked at and mine was'nt?
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
DaLar
Button Masher
Button Masher

Re: B-Wings (Alt Ver.?) my score

Post by DaLar »

...Sometimes I forget that you are a 40+ year old man/child ... :roll:
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Could it possibly be that tar apparently isn't playing anymore (so his score is probably definitive) and you are still playing, so watching and confirming would be a waste of time because you are going to improve it?
Can you please take in mind that having a score confirmed soon is not a given right?
Confirmers are volunteers. Asking for a fast confirmation when you are going to improve your score is wasting their time :wink:
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I don'nt belive Tar's score got confirmed before mine becouse he is'nt playing anymore. I have noticed BBH'S Scores get confirmed right away. I understand that certain players confirm scores here .

What makes confirmers confirm other players games over others?

I know it takes time to confirm scores .. I sit and watch recordings looking for game play tips i know this takes alot of time .

I do thankyou everyone that watchs my recorings
Arcade Game Scores
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I confirmed my friend tar's recording over yours because I wanted to see if he used techniques I remember from all the other golden age games he submitted. I did not confirm yours because I look at other bwings recordings that were much higher in other clonesets; having a score much lower than the overall high of the clonesets makes a recording (shall we say) "off the radar". I did confirm your recording after you made a 60% improvement over the one you just beat tar by a few thousand.

You should also know that each recording you make is stored into marp, even though it may be only shown for a short period while it is the active recording. You have submitted four bwingsa recordings: 50k, 70k, 80k and now your 135k are all stored. It could be better to just practice the game four times and submit your best score of your four tries than submit each time, if not for bettering your score but for saving hard drive space at marp. You complain about your scores being hunted for beating, but what you are doing targets what you are complaining about. Practice a ton of times and then it will make it harder for someone to beat your score, and it should make people confirm your recordings with out you asking them to.
-skito
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I don'nt mind people beating my scores but it's the unneeded Rude remarks telling me to not brother playing these games .. When they just beat my score by a couple 100'S Points and they Pulled a Billy Mitchell and stopped playing.

I really did'nt know my old scores stay on the server it tells me It Removes them when the new score is added.

B-wing my scores jumped after using wolf106 and not wolf145 ..

I don'nt know how to configure the controls on new versons of Mame .. So i can'nt use my X-Arcade Tankship controller... I have to use the Logitech controller and it's not as good.
Chad wrote:I confirmed my friend tar's recording over yours because I wanted to see if he used techniques I remember from all the other golden age games he submitted. I did not confirm yours because I look at other bwings recordings that were much higher in other clonesets; having a score much lower than the overall high of the clonesets makes a recording (shall we say) "off the radar". I did confirm your recording after you made a 60% improvement over the one you just beat tar by a few thousand.

You should also know that each recording you make is stored into marp, even though it may be only shown for a short period while it is the active recording. You have submitted four bwingsa recordings: 50k, 70k, 80k and now your 135k are all stored. It could be better to just practice the game four times and submit your best score of your four tries than submit each time, if not for bettering your score but for saving hard drive space at marp. You complain about your scores being hunted for beating, but what you are doing targets what you are complaining about. Practice a ton of times and then it will make it harder for someone to beat your score, and it should make people confirm your recordings with out you asking them to.
Arcade Game Scores
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

simpsons99 wrote:I don'nt know how to configure the controls on new versons of Mame .. So i can'nt use my X-Arcade Tankship controller... I have to use the Logitech controller and it's not as good.
How so? There has been little change (if any) in how controllers are configured. For any basic controller, it should be pretty much plug and play. For those (like the Hotrod) which like to pretend that they are keyboards, then you can use ctrlr files to set up the controls when you use it. If you want further instructions on ctrlr files, then please say so.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

the config file that works with the X-Arcade Tankship does'nt work with the newer versons of mame.

I would'nt have the config file for Wolf106 If a mod from the other fourms would'nt have sent it to me .

If someone has a setup config to use with the Newer versons of mame .. Want to send it to me that would be amazing!

I don'nt know how to change the buttons in games with the newer versons of Mame allso.. It just makes the Arrows and messes up my controls for the game .

So i've gotten to the case of not wanting to mess with anything .. Becouse i'm not wanting to mess anything up and not being able to fix it again!
Arcade Game Scores
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Ok, here's what you do.

First, delete cfg\default.cfg.
Run MAME with any game you want.
Press TAB, and select the "Input (general)"
For each input that you need, press Enter and then press the relevant input on the joystick, then wait a second for it to be accepted (the wait is because MAME allows multiple keys to be mapped to one input).
When you have changed all the inputs you need to, press End and select "Return to previous menu" and exit MAME.
Now copy the newly generated cfg\default.cfg to ctrlr\xarcade.cfg (you can call it whatever you want, it just has to be in the ctrlr folder. If there is no ctrlr folder, then create one)
Delete cfg\default.cfg again, so that MAME will generate a blank one next time it is run.
Now you can run MAME with -ctrlr xarcade to use those controls when you wish, or you can edit mame.ini to make it more permanent. (Or you could not delete default.cfg the second time, that too should work).
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/1/d/0/bea ... olf146.zip
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/bwingsa

doesn't playback, doesn't even coin up. The game doesn't use nvram so I don't know what else could be causing this.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

BBH wrote:http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/1/d/0/bea ... olf146.zip
http://replay.marpirc.net/r/bwingsa

doesn't playback, doesn't even coin up. The game doesn't use nvram so I don't know what else could be causing this.
INP recording/playback is broken in MAME.146 for games that use ports with PORT_CHANGED or PORT_CHANGED_MEMBER in the game's driver. I just checked the bwings.c driver, and it uses PORT_CHANGED_MEMBER for the Coin input ports, which is why the replay doesn't coin up. I logged this defect with mametesters back on 6/9 and mahlemiut confirmed it as an issue. It is fixed in MAME.146u2, which means we'll have a WolfMAME fix in .147. See http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=4892 for more details on the defect.

Not all games use PORT_CHANGED or PORT_CHANGED_MEMBER, but a lot do. If you are using WolfMAME.146 please be extra careful to make sure your replays playback before submitting them! If playback doesn't work in .146 you'll need to either use an older MAME version or wait for .147.

Keep in mind MAME Rule 3 states that it is a player's responsibility to double-check their recordings to ensure they playback properly. Please respect the MARP rules, community, and the time of confirmers by following this rule.

-George
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

And just to go through the formality of getting this score zeroed like it should be:

http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/1/d/0/bea ... olf146.zip doesn't play back for me either (it doesn't insert a credit).
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

... and that's strike 3 from me as well. Fails to coin up for me too. I've zeroed the score with a comment to use Wolf145 for this game until Wolf147 comes out due to a bug in Wolf146.

I'm surprised that simpsons99 didn't find this same issue when he checked that his recording plays back correctly prior to submitting the score to Marp?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

wow i did'nt have an clue! I just did a super dumb recording and yep did'nt playback nothing.

Like i said on this recording how different this game was on this verson of Mame .
Arcade Game Scores