MARP Election 2008 - Open Discussion for Candidates/Editors

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

MARP Election 2008 - Open Discussion for Candidates/Editors

Post by Zhorik »

Please use this thread for open discussion on the Candidates and Editor Confidence Votes in the 2008 election.

For example, candidates for Knockout Chairman could describe how they'd run the Knockout, or Editors could describe some of the things they've done over the last year or plan to do in the coming year.

Finally, if anybody has any open questions for the Candidates or Editors, please post them here.

-zhorik (aka gastrainga - Election Coordinator)
***PL***
Editor

Re: MARP Election 2008 - Open Discussion for Candidates/Editors

Post by ***PL*** »

MARPers:

As an editor I continue to maintain the MARP game database as new MAME releases come out. I also get information from my fellow editors/confirmers regarding games that should be split and others that should be archived. Sometimes batches of INPs need to get moved, so it's really behind-the-scenes kind of stuff that you don't need to think or worry about unless something is off.

I'd like to get more involved with the tournament side of MARP. I was the Judge Coordinator (Tournament Chairman) for the very first tournament ever held at MARP way back in 1999 and did the same the following year for T2. There may have been others tourneys I participated in but at the very least I was in a coordinator role. I'd like to bring some fresh ideas to the knockout tourney and perhaps keep some of the ideas destructor has been working on. Together we can definitely bring you a better Knockout tourney in 2009!

Some thoughts I have are to run a double-elimination tournament (2 losses and your out, rather than just 1). It could be set up with the undefeated player matching up with the top finisher in the loser bracket for the finals, or a simpler round-robin survivor style such as last player standing. I would like to have approximately 8 different game genres so that no player could possibly dominate any type of game or style of play. Games selections could be put out for a vote as I'm not opposed to democracy at MARP!

I'd probably want to change the scoring, but not sure how yet. As a side project, I've been working on some innovative scoring and team (player) ranking systems. Though really geared more for sports and not for video games, some of those ideas could be applied here for K8.

I'm willing to entertain any of your Knockout Tournament ideas as well.

Pat (***PL***)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: MARP Election 2008 - Open Discussion for Candidates/Editors

Post by destructor »

In my ideas are no brackets and no 2 losses :)