Analog and digital input together?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Analog and digital input together?

Post by The_Pro »

I was wondering if there was a way to have two types of inputs for the same function. Specifically, I was fiddling with out run and while it's nice to have an analog acceleration for the initial start, after that I'm basically holding it down the whole way. It gets annoying holding the joystick up through the whole race since the x-axis is used for turning. I figured I'd use the joystick for that initial start and then hold down a button for the remainder but I can't seem to combine the two. It's not a joystick button issue because I can't get the keyboard to accelerate when it's being handled by the joystick. I'm thinking this isn't possible, but it would be nice.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

i had a problem in beaminv recently concerning the ship drifting.
i went into the menu at tab key, analog function ,hit enter to assign , then esc. key to reassign function to none.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also , it seems to me threre was a similar issue a few years back with the gas pedal calibration in spy hunter , anyone remember how that was fixed ? bbh is champ on that title.
the_pro
top score on galaxian
good work

[/b]
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

I don't know the answer to your effective question, but, if your problem is only with OutRun, I use to map:
Button1 (gear) = to the second joystick button (middle finger)
Pedal1 Analog = ESC (no analog gas pedal)
Pedal1 Dec (gas pedal) = to the first joystick button (index finger)
Pedal2 Dec (brake) = third joystick button (ring finger)

This works very fine for me, as taking first button pressed the whole play is better than keeping the joystick forward.
Anyway I really miss an analog steering weel :cry:
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Yeah, I'm probably just going to go with the button for the acceleration and try to time it correctly at the starting line.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

I've seen your 48M+ inp, very nice. Did you find a new steering weel? 8)
I also wonder if 52M+ in TG Arcade record is off-road-trick-free :?
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

RAX wrote:I've seen your 48M+ inp, very nice. Did you find a new steering weel? 8)
I also wonder if 52M+ in TG Arcade record is off-road-trick-free :?
I used the analog stick from a N64 controller. I think the TG record is a perfect run without off road and possibly using the 294kph boost. The score might still be possible without the boost but much harder.

If you have some advice on the 294kph trick I'd welcome it. I've seen 3 videos and still can't do it.
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Your start is quite good, perhaps you accelerate a little late. To get directly to 293 you must add a fast 2nd-1st-2nd gear movement during the acceleration. It's quite simple, when you get the right timing.
In the original arcade machine (about 20 years ago) I often got to 294kph, but it didn't maintain, and after a couple of seconds it always went down to 293.
On MAME i've never got a 294 start, but only 293. I don't know the reason because my movements are the same of 1990. :? perhaps it's due to digital gas pedal?? No ideas.

Anyway I don't know how to mantain the off road trick. It seems to me that you have to perform the fast 1st-2nd gear movement periodically every second, but i've never mantained it over four seconds.