Osman/Candance discussion current playbacks & special ru

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

ForeverSublime
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Osman/Candance discussion current playbacks & special ru

Post by ForeverSublime »

Hi,

I've been a casual MAME user, and I'm a bit unfamiliar with the specifics of MARP. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I just wanted to know what types of games constitute the need for special rules for playback (I see there are none currently for Osman).

For instance, in Osman the difficulty decreases every time you are hit, so the only way to play the game on the highest difficulty (or the default difficulty for that matter) would be to finish it without being touched. I don't want anyone's scores or replays removed, because to me how the game is played is more important than how high one scored, but I think it would be wise of people to note the difficulty level they began their play at for those who may not be keen enough to recognize it otherwise. Moreover, different playstyles can be adapted to different difficulties in this particular game so I wouldn't want a regulation stopping someone from playing the game in a way they enjoy.

Besides that, I don't know if this is a huge issue, but TKY@TeamCPS.jp 's vids for Osman/Candance are not "no miss all" as he states (that means he killed all enemies, correct?). He missed a few guards in level 1 and an aerial enemy in level 2, at the very least. I'm using MAME32 0.106 for playback.

Thanks all.
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

"No miss all" means that he didn't lose a life for the entire game.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

"miss" is short for "mistake", as far as I know.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
ForeverSublime
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ForeverSublime »

Gotcha. Cool. I used to think it meant (from shooters) that every bullet you fired hit a target... :lol: (and "1cc" was for completing without losing a life). Heh. Me is dumb.

Thanks for the quick replies to clear that up for me.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Hey there stranger. :)

Difficulty isn't always specified because for the most part everyone plays on default settings. Easier difficulty settings aren't allowed, but harder difficulty settings are... although of course it often helps to make a note of the higher difficulty in the comment field.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Osman/Candance discussion current playbacks & specia

Post by The TJT »

Foreversublime,

Sir BBH answered your question correctly, it's MAME default or TG(twingalaxies) settings...unless otherwise stated at "special rules"
And if you wish, you can play using harder than default settings, you get r-e-s-p-e-c-t(just a little bit) by doing so. Usual way is to play choosing easiest difficulty between MAME default settings/TG-settings though.
http://marp.retrogames.com/rules/

If you think rules/settings for a game are not good at all, we can hit our wise heads together at "regulation forum" and try to make the rules better.

Thanks,
TJT
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

I used to think it meant (from shooters) that every bullet you fired hit a target...
Yea, thats exactly what I thought when I first came across this site. :D