Us vs Them

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

CMP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Us vs Them

Post by CMP »

Here's my thought, with the CHD games in MAME now, why cant something similiar be done for the old Videodisc games like Us vs Them?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I think the main reason is that the laserdiscs are analogue... but this is probably something for Haze to answer - he's the only MAMEdev that hangs out here.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

And I have Firefox, laserdisk arcade video (from bittorrent)... but no roms...
There's a site that tells how to compile your own firefox/mach3 mame version.

My Daphne stopped working somehow, so my legal (Whooo!) Dragons Lair I/II and space ace videos are unused too.

Would be nice to see them in mame someday, mame is much more user-friendly than above mentioned emus.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Don't hold your breath, MAME would have to use a patent-free and open source video/audio codec to use those.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

I think I read that the Mamedevs never will approve of the mpegs as a solution for the movies in the lazerdisc games. So I guess they will be 30gig each if ever supported j/k
QRS
CMP
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Laserdiscs

Post by CMP »

I dont believe they were 30GB, remember they were made in like 1982 where ppl were still using 8 in floppies that at best held like 145kb of data LOL
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

CMP wrote:I dont believe they were 30GB, remember they were made in like 1982 where ppl were still using 8 in floppies that at best held like 145kb of data LOL
That must depend on conversion method used.
Laserdiscs could store 30min-60min/side...analog video. When you convert analog video to digital -you know that makes a big file.

Must have been quite cutting edge technology at that time though...time of betamax and vhs.
You can read laserdisc player manuals at: http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tech/ldguide/

Firefox video is about 1,8G at my harddrive...

QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

1,8 gig compressed... imagine the same file in raw format and you have your 30 gig.

As Tommi said we are talking about lazerdisc games stored on huge discs (they were the size of vinyl LP's hehe) not of home systems (or even ordinary arcade games) at the time hehe.
QRS