Game Clones = Higher Rankings

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Game Clones = Higher Rankings

Post by Caseh »

With all this talk about the leaderboard changing does anyone else but me think that being able to submit a score on more than one romset is slightly unfair. I do it myself but just because you can get the highscore one one romset, does that mean you should be entitled to 1st places on all the other romsets as well?

I'm just raising this point as some games have like 15 clones and on the old leaderboard system this is like 1500 points, or on the new temp system 15 1st places.

I understand that making decisions on this sort of thing is difficult but does anyone else feel the same?
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

1. Clones are not always identical how main set. There are diffrent difficulties or other things.
2. For make results on all clones player must spend a bit time (not five minuts). For example: for all clones Toki I spend about 1 month (about 6-8 hours almost every day). And what? You want to delete my whole job in 1 second?
3. Leaderboard is only ranking for watch. No prizes for it.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

For make results on all clones player must spend a bit time (not five minuts).
All depends on how well you know the game really, for example if you played gauntlet in the arcades all the time then you have around 1000 old LB points easily.
Clones are not always identical how main set. There are diffrent difficulties or other things.
Every clone I have played is identical except for mabye the odd extra life now and again.
And what? You want to delete my whole job in 1 second?
What, mastering one set then repeating that another 4 sets? That sort of proves my point. Take a look at who has 1st place on all of the Toki sets :)
Leaderboard is only ranking for watch. No prizes for it.
True but I still think its a valid point.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Caseh wrote:Every clone I have played is identical except for mabye the odd extra life now and again.
Ssf2 (parent) and ssf2t (clone) are different games.

Sfa3 (parent) difficulty: 5, sfz3j (clone) difficulty: 2, sfz3a (clone) difficulty: 8

These are only two examples.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Can't let this thread without whinging about Konami and how they like to annoy US players...

The Simpsons:

Japanese version:
Life can extend past what you start with.
Life bar is full to one level at the start of each stage.
There is a points bonus for the amount of life left at the end of a stage.
There are secret life bonuses in various parts of the background.
A real scoring system.

US version:
Life goes no higher than one level.
Life is only full to one level (max in this version) after bonus stages (I think)
No points bonus for life left.
No secret bonuses in the background. They removed them all.
A crappy scoring system - 1 point for killing things. Anything. Including bosses.
Bonus stages are pointless. In more ways than one.

Metamorphic Force:
No changes to gameplay here, but the scoring system is like The Simpsons. Also, the US version has a life counter like in Gauntlet. It ticks down over time. That works for Gauntlet - it's doesn't work in a beat-em-up.

Thunder Cross:
You get bombs in the US version only. Good reason for that too... That thing that when hit fires a spread shot AND homing shots. Dodgeable, if you're quick. If not, you have to use up a bomb. (Am I thinking of Thunder Cross II here or not?)

Now when BBH shows up, I'm sure he'll add to this. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Compare Mystic warriors european version with the US version....
Another good example is that "moo mesa" game..... or compare the gng clones with the makaimura clones :P
QRS
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Mystic Warriors and Moo Mesa are both Konami games. No surprise there. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

mahlemiut wrote:Now when BBH shows up, I'm sure he'll add to this. :)
viewtopic.php?t=9098

:)

US version of Mystic Warriors is friggin ridiculous, BTW.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Caseh wrote:What, mastering one set then repeating that another 4 sets? That sort of proves my point. Take a look at who has 1st place on all of the Toki sets.
Toki has 4 clones only so I should make all scores for it during 1-2 days. Then why I spend almost 1 month? The maximize points and next with last life (with pain fingers after maximize) finish game isn't simple. Stupid mistake and I must play from beginning. If you do not believe then try. Next prepare compress for finger :)

PS. I finish 1 set only. Why if it's very simple to copy?
DaviL
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DaviL »

Some clone are the same of the original, other not
Example:
Route 16 and clones.
Soldier girl amazon and sei senshi amatelass.
Tactician set 1 and 2.
Fighting roller, Roller ace set 1 and set2.
King of the ring and ring king.
And Gng-Makaimura :all the 6 sets have some big or little differences.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

i dont get it. if it was allowed 2 play clones at old board so what is the difference now?
i had 3 first places with orginal set and 2 clones so i had 300 LB points
now i got 3 first places :(
or maybe im wrong?

BTW: romsets isnt identical - i can say it exactly while playing commando and trojan and mikie :) their all different - with conditions 2 play and some other things.
It's good 2 be here with U guys :)
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

Difficulty settings are irrelevant to the point. If you have the high score on a game thats at say medium difficulty, You will be able to perform better than anyone else if the settings are higher or lower....because you are simply better on that game.
PS. I finish 1 set only. Why if it's very simple to copy?
Exactly, finish one set and then just repeat it on however many clones there are...easy points.
The Simpsons:

Japanese version:
Life can extend past what you start with.
Life bar is full to one level at the start of each stage.
There is a points bonus for the amount of life left at the end of a stage.
There are secret life bonuses in various parts of the background.
A real scoring system.

US version:
Life goes no higher than one level.
Life is only full to one level (max in this version) after bonus stages (I think)
No points bonus for life left.
No secret bonuses in the background. They removed them all.
A crappy scoring system - 1 point for killing things. Anything. Including bosses.
Bonus stages are pointless. In more ways than one.
Still the same games though. Even if the scoring system on one version is better than the other.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

What if I play only on 1 clone (on 1st position) and don't play on original set? How much points is for me? 0? Why? I want 1 point for new leaderboard (olympic) and 100pts. for old leaderboard because I'm the best on this clone only!
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

What if I play only on 1 clone (on 1st position) and don't play on original set? How much points is for me? 0?
Of course you would get points for submitting a score on a clone. I'm not saying REMOVE clones I'm just saying it would be more logical for a user to only be able to submit 1 score for 1 game whether that be the original set or clones.

The idea does have its flaws though, you may set a high score on one set, and because you can't submit a highscore on any of the other sets the score that gets first place might be really crap.