Willow leeching

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

mahlemiut
Editor

Willow leeching

Post by mahlemiut »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0

Both JYD and Caseh use a technique on stage 5, where over two lives, they continuously use the magic that hits all enemies on screen, leaving x2 gold - over and over - worth 600 points each time if done right. It's also damn repetitive, and boring to watch.

What do the rest of you think about banning this technique, or at least limiting it to one life only?

Also, it may be worth discussing leeching when you purposely loop through the same areas in stage 6, which can be done infinitely, at the timer reset whenever you go through a door.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

the Stage 5 leeching... eh... it's dumb but I think it could probably be allowable, seeng how it can't be done infinitely and there are no extra lives to be gained (aside from the one you could buy in a shop later after building up all that gold... hmmmm)

as for the beginning of Stage 6, definite no-no. But it's a strange case, because you have four parts where you have to pick the right door, and if you honestly don't know which one you can end up getting sent back to an earlier part... but anyone that can finish it SHOULD have knowledge of the correct doors. Still, maybe a viable solution would be this - each door can only be used once, just in case of an "accident". So if you take a door that sends you back, and then when you come to that part you take the same door AGAIN.... then that's grounds for instant DQ.

I dunno.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

BBH wrote:the Stage 5 leeching... eh... it's dumb but I think it could probably be allowable, seeng how it can't be done infinitely and there are no extra lives to be gained (aside from the one you could buy in a shop later after building up all that gold... hmmmm)
I agree with BBH, this leeching is the same as the one of Rygar, it's not indefinetely and we have only few lives in Willow (beside I wonder if 2 lives is the real Factory Setting, I always see 3 in arcade). Furthermore, buy the last items in the game is not easy, and the only method is to use magic in stage 5
BBH wrote:as for the beginning of Stage 6, definite no-no. But it's a strange case, because you have four parts where you have to pick the right door, and if you honestly don't know which one you can end up getting sent back to an earlier part... but anyone that can finish it SHOULD have knowledge of the correct doors. Still, maybe a viable solution would be this - each door can only be used once, just in case of an "accident". So if you take a door that sends you back, and then when you come to that part you take the same door AGAIN.... then that's grounds for instant DQ. I dunno.
Maybe, but on this game time is short and we have only few lives. I'm not sure its possible to return back often.

For me, both methods are allowable because it's clearly not infinite leeching.

Francois
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

Francois Daniel wrote: I agree with BBH, this leeching is the same as the one of Rygar, it's not indefinetely and we have only few lives in Willow (beside I wonder if 2 lives is the real Factory Setting, I always see 3 in arcade).
I believe the real factory defaults are 3 lives, 4 units of life. MAME uses stupid default settings for most CPS1 games.
BBH wrote:as for the beginning of Stage 6, definite no-no.
Maybe, but on this game time is short and we have only few lives. I'm not sure its possible to return back often.
mahlemiut wrote:Also, it may be worth discussing leeching when you purposely loop through the same areas in stage 6, which can be done infinitely, at the timer reset whenever you go through a door.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Agree with BHH. Stage 5 is OK. Stage 6: each door can only be used once.
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

I had to use the technique to beat BBH's score as there seemed to be no other way of doing it. My score came in at below 1,300,000 without it and BBH score was 1,334,000.

I'm done with the game anyway, as Mahlemuit said it gets boring.