Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Galagads

Post by NotMan »

Hi!

I just have noticed that galagads (fast shoot) has been removed from Mame .80. I was just wondering that we should NOT archive galagads or we could vote that we should have at least one galaga (fast shoot) in one version.

I don't know why Nicola have removed that (hack??) version which is really popular in some arcades even that still exist on 20th Anniversary Ms. Pac/ Galaga. I think that you could probably changed that in dip switch menu if that game might be emulated in the next version?

Thanks for your cooperation.

NotMan
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Galagads

Post by Buttermaker »

NotMan wrote:I was just wondering that we should NOT archive galagads
If a game gets removed from MAME it won't get archived. It will get deleted from the MARP database.
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

butterman wrote:If a game gets removed from MAME it won't get archived. It will get deleted from the MARP database.
tar stands for - "That Ain't Right"
who made that law ?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Buttermaker wrote:If a game gets removed from MAME it won't get archived. It will get deleted from the MARP database.
No, they get archived usually. sfzch, and some others are archived.

galagads is nothing more than a one-byte hack. The same thing can be achieved in cheats.

Also, Pacman speedup cheats will be gone too, if they aren't already, as they are nothing more than an ugly in-driver hack. Same thing may happen to Run Like Hell too. Here's hoping. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

mahlemiut wrote:No, they get archived usually.
Nope, deleted. Ask ***PL*** if you don't believe me.
sfzch, and some others are archived.
Sfzch is gone.
***PL***
Editor

Galaga Clone Deletions

Post by ***PL*** »

Yup, when MAME deletes a game, the INPs at MARP get deleted too. It all started with PONG! You can thank Nicola.

BTW, these are the Galaga ROMSETS that are getting sacked:
galagads "Galaga (fast shoot)"
galagab2 "Galaga (bootleg)"
galaga84 "Galaga '84"
nebulbee "Nebulous Bee"

I'm willing to archive some (say galagads) since this is a popular game and some of these INPs actually date back to 1998!
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Pat wrote:I'm willing to archive some (say galagads) since this is a popular game and some of these INPs actually date back to 1998!
Great.

I was going to suggest that if there's enough interest.

If anybody out there has an opinion, voice it.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

It will break Johnny Galaga's heart.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Yep! That will hurt Steve Krog's heart, too. He still hold the record on galagads since '98. 20 something millions pts and even nobody could even try to get at least 10 million pts. I'm not sure about BeeJay! :lol:

Oh well! I guess that we'll lose those good galaga inps recording. :cry:

NotMan
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Pat, I hope you answer my questions in other thread too -mame80 game changes thread...First I read that, now read this...

I think clones SHOULD NOT BE DELETED or archived from marp if they are taken away from mame!!!

I see galagads -fast shoot galaga is different and something we can compete on.

If those clones are removed from marp, I lose first place at nebulbee and galaga84. Atleast galaga84 looks very different from galaga. You might say I'm just protecting my scores not to be removed...maybe so...surely you don't want your efforts be removed from marp either. There is also other reason...if they were played at arcade, why not here then.

No matter what mame devs decide, for marp ie should not matter. We have already competed on those games and there are many recordings for those. We have competed several years on those!!! What is so different now? Why they get dumped now?
Did I waste several hours of playing and practicing to get deleted, no way! What about Krogman then...20M at galagads!
Tomorrow removing all Phoenix clones maybe :evil:

Yes, maybe they are hacks...but so are all clones anyway!!! right?
Temptubes is really a private hack, that was only at few arcades. Does it matter that it was a private hack and not corporate hack as all clones are.

If one byte or 10 does not matter...where will you draw the line...you can not say this is so small alteration to original etc...
What are all those Gauntlet clones then, nothing different than only text is in Germany. Same for some Phoenix clone too "vautour", I see no difference to one other romset too except gamename at intro screen and company name.

Do we remove mspac-fast too?...some of these "hacks" are very popular and have been in arcades, even many TG scores have propably been done using them.
Maybe next mame version have only "originals"...will we remove all clones then.Maybe a clone has best score, maybe original is changed to clone tomorrow and then dropped from mame etc...

I understand the history of deletions though, time of Pong...debate about simulation-emulation. Legality issues maybe too.

That was different then, now is now. Then it was only first game removed.
I see no reason why we should stop competing some clones because they have been removed from mame now...why they were added in first place then. Mame devs clone logic is sometimes faulty.

And yes, I think those games should not be archived either...correct me if I'm wrong:archived means that they don't get leaderboard points. I think those games are as worthy for lb points than any other. Not that I care about lb points...but as said maybe tomorrow they'll remove all Phoenix clones that are quite different at gameplay, and have been at arcades too.

Not only just my thoughts, I believe.

TJT
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

wow, when exactly did sfzch and the like get deleted then? They were there for quite a while.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BBH wrote:wow, when exactly did sfzch and the like get deleted then? They were there for quite a while.
Probably right after Butter wrote this:

viewtopic.php?p=25194&highlight=sfzch#25194
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Weehawk's link:
Buttermaker wrote:
***PL*** wrote:If a game gets removed from MAME (very rare!) then it is also removed from MARP.
Then *sfzch and kof98a need to be deleted.
Seems like removing a game is not so rare anymore then. I hope we can get solution not to remove games from marp. I see no point in that.

Also changing game settings at some mame versions is quite irritating, which is another issue....
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I don't think any game should be archived or deleted if it is removed from MAME.

We tell people to use an older if a game is playbackable in a recent version, why should this be any different? Are we going to delete all those *pac*-fast inps when that hack gets removed?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

None of the 2001 games that were removed have been deleted, and that is the way it should stay. I don't see why they should be removed, just leave them archived. It wasn't like they weren't working or something.