Zero Wing - How to get super powerup?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Zero Wing - How to get super powerup?

Post by tmorrow »

This has irked me for years, ever since playing the Genesis version of the game. It also happens in the arcade version. I was playing zerowing in MAME tonight and the super powerup appeared. Is it random or is there a way to deliberately trigger it off? I wasn't recording an inp since I was playing with the invincibility dipswitch on but I did hit F12 to take a couple of screenshots -http://members.iinet.net.au/~tmorrow/em ... rowing.htm

I've scanned several sites for hints/tips plus the mameinfo and can't find any information on the special powerup.

Cheers,
Tim
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

From what I can find, it appears randomly when your weapon is at full power and you are at max speed. Also (from what I found) it only makes your shot look bigger, it isn't any more powerful than your full power weapon...
tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

JoeyL21988 wrote:From what I can find, it appears randomly when your weapon is at full power and you are at max speed. Also (from what I found) it only makes your shot look bigger, it isn't any more powerful than your full power weapon...
So you think it only occurs when you are full power/max speed and even then it is random. No wonder I haven't seen it very often. When I'm playing properly (no cheats) I never take more than one or two speedups.

As for the power of the shot - you are probably right, it doesn't seem to take out enemies faster, homing is not improved etc. If that is the case then it is only eye candy - disappointing.

Cheers,
Tim
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

tmorrow wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote:From what I can find, it appears randomly when your weapon is at full power and you are at max speed. Also (from what I found) it only makes your shot look bigger, it isn't any more powerful than your full power weapon...
So you think it only occurs when you are full power/max speed and even then it is random. No wonder I haven't seen it very often. When I'm playing properly (no cheats) I never take more than one or two speedups.

As for the power of the shot - you are probably right, it doesn't seem to take out enemies faster, homing is not improved etc. If that is the case then it is only eye candy - disappointing.

Cheers,
Tim
Yeah. :/

You should submit a score for Zero Wing - I plan on submitting one by/over the weekend.