New Profiles Page?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

seymour
Site Admin

New Profiles Page?

Post by seymour »

Recently, I mentioned in #marp about writing a new MARP player profiles page. Something that each player can update on their own, instead of emailing Crash with any updates (I'm not even sure if he's still updating it - someone told me that his email is bouncing now?).

So, does this sound like a good idea to anybody?

Also, if you like the idea, feel free to comment here with any ideas you may have for it, which the current profiles page doesn't have now.
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by LordGaz »

Yes, good idea. Maybe keep the same layout ie. thumbnails you can click on the view the whole profile and to edit your own and upload a scan.

Some of those profiles on the current page are at least 2 years old, I sent an updated profile to Crash some months ago but it hasn't appeared.

Gaz
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Yes, Seymour. It´s a nice idea. good sugest
Long life to good games
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

I do agree with this new initiative....
Letting anyone updating his own details as they change will distibute the effort among all the active members....

But....who's going to work on it...? :?:
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Cicca wrote:I do agree with this new initiative....
Letting anyone updating his own details as they change will distibute the effort among all the active members....

But....who's going to work on it...? :?:
Seymour of course, I'd assume. I mean, he did set up these forums, and he is a smart guy with coding and such skills. :)
Cicca
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Cicca »

Well seymour....if so.....carry on.... it sounds really great !!! 8)
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

The profile page should have a field where the players enter their MARP login and when you click on a player's name in his/her profile it takes you to his/her MARP recordings using MARP's search engine.
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

What's the status of this?

If Seymour is too busy, then I could incorporate the feature into the MARP site itself.

I have a lot of time on my hands these days, and am working on the MARP site quite a lot.

Allowing players to upload photos and details about themselves wouldn't be very hard to add at all.

Chris.
QRS
Editor

Post by QRS »

Zwaxy wrote: I have a lot of time on my hands these days, and am working on the MARP site quite a lot.
Chris.
Ahah!! Now you´ve done it! I have tons of new tasks for you now that I know that you have time j/k :)
QRS
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Zwaxy wrote:If Seymour is too busy, then I could incorporate the feature into the MARP site itself.
That would be excellent. Add it to the "Edit User Info Page".

Add a link to the profile page next to the player's name which is only visible if the player has enabled his profile.
Rat
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Rat »

Zwaxy wrote:What's the status of this?

If Seymour is too busy, then I could incorporate the feature into the MARP site itself.

I have a lot of time on my hands these days, and am working on the MARP site quite a lot.

Allowing players to upload photos and details about themselves wouldn't be very hard to add at all.

Chris.
Cool looking forward to it thanks, I might add my profile then :) and the links to the profiles page too.

Noticed more frequent news, can we subscribe to the news so we get an email when it's updated ?
Zwaxy
MARP Founder

Post by Zwaxy »

Rat wrote:Noticed more frequent news, can we subscribe to the news so we get an email when it's updated ?
No you can't, but it's a good idea.

I was also thinking about allowing you to sign up to see details of any 'edits' that are made to people's scores. Currently you get an email if an editor changes one of your uploads, but perhaps you would like an email whenever somebody else gets their stuff edited, or perhaps only if it affects you, like the edit changed the position of one of your scores, or something?

Would that be a reasonable feature to add?

Chris.
seymour
Site Admin

Post by seymour »

Zwaxy wrote:What's the status of this?

Chris.
I haven't actually gotten around to writing anything yet. I've been busy with work and stuff. So by all means, go ahead and integrate it directly into the MaRP page, if you want :) I'll give you any feedback and suggestions I have, as well.

Then maybe we can work on having user-selectable colours and fonts and stuff :) so when you login you can have a custom look!
Chris Gushue
MARP IRC/Forum Maintainer
http://gushue.net