grchamp should be archived, scores cleared

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

grchamp should be archived, scores cleared

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

Collision detection is still not working in this game. The scores that I checked from earlier MAME versions tilt in the first race, halting the recording. Showstopper bugs have been reported both for this game and for its source at mametesters.com.

ozz has maxed out the score on this game, i would imagine by taking advantage of the collision problems (can't get his .inp to playback)

all in all, this game should probably be blocked from competition for the time being.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

I just played a game in alphamame70. The collision detection between cars seemed to work fine for me. Maybe there is some trick you would like to explain further?
Q.T.Quazar
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Q.T.Quazar »

one immediately noticeable thing is that computer controlled cars (and your own?) can go off the left side of the road and come back on with no problems, giving a wider berth for th race)

from mametesters.com:

Source issues:
grchamp: Known Issues: PC3259 handling (for collision detection) is not accurate. Collision detection does work, but there are bits which define the type of collision (and determine whether a pit stop is required) that I don't know how to handle.

grchamp: Known Issues: sound: missing speech and engine noise

grchamp: Known Issues: rain rendering is probably wrong

grchamp: Known Issues: "radar" is probably wrong

grchamp: Known Issues: LED and tachometer display are missing/faked Note that a dipswitch setting allows score to be displayed
onscreen, but there's no equivalent for tachometer.

reported bugs:

grchamp.c grchamp: If you drive in tunnels, all graphics get lost except for yourself (the car you're controlling).
grchamp137b12gre Jonemaan

grchamp.c grchamp: Some of the game sprites (such as the flagman and the lightning) and the letters are corrupted at the beginning of even numbered courses. During this, the enemy cars are invisible once you start moving.
grchamp237b12gre The tECHIDNA

grchamp.c grchamp: Grand Champion controls stops to work just after started second course.
grchamp055yel Kale
--------------
BrokenVaus--Q.T.Quazar's law of MAME: Any game I am good at will have something seriously f***ed with its emulation.
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

I only played through the 1st level but the game seems playable to me. Certainly not perfect, but not bad enough to be thrown out. If the game does in fact crash after the second round then by all means archive it.

I also tried ozz's inp and it tilts after the 1st round. I tried midas, direct, and no sound. I also tried draw every frame. I am in windows XP however. Maybe someone with 98 or 98se can try it out.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

That game is used to work better in the first release that appeared,though the gameplay was still not really the same as the arcades...