mahjong...

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

mahjong...

Post by LN2 »

ok, I did research on this and also searched the BBS and still haven't figured out what some of the MAME commands for mahjong games mean.

The "z" key is "ron" which means what? I have seen no references to "ron". I pressed it once hoping it meant to declare a mahjong but it caused the game to reset.

What do the commands small, big, flip do?

How does one declare mahjong/out? I see no command that appears to be "out". I have gotten a mahjong and tried different keys with the game normally resetting as a result....not good.

I figured out the kan/pon/chi stuff. That's ok and works fine. BTW while I'm asking can you take a discard play to make an "eye"/pair? It doesn't appear you can based on the rules.

All web pages for mahjong and those referred to by Phil's page explain how to play the game but not what the mame commands mean specifically.

Also, is there a simple key to sort your tiles....at the beginning the tiles are all out of order. they seem to autosort once you do a play off your opponent's discards but not until then.

It would be nice to at least understand and play some of the 250 mahjong games in mame. hehe Given how prominent it is it would be nice to have a mame-mahjong guide for this. Phil's page gives scoring but leaves the rules of the game to other sites which don't explain it in mame terms.

Any help appreciated...
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: mahjong...

Post by mahlemiut »

LN2 wrote:ok, I did research on this and also searched the BBS and still haven't figured out what some of the MAME commands for mahjong games mean.

The "z" key is "ron" which means what? I have seen no references to "ron". I pressed it once hoping it meant to declare a mahjong but it caused the game to reset.
That's the key used to declare mahjong. Pushing it after your opponent has thrown out a discard will use that discard to finish your hand, if possible. If you push it after you have drawn a tile, that tile you've drawn will be used to finish your hand. Calling mahjong using a drawn tile is called 'Tsumo', using a discarded tile from your opponent(s) is called 'Ron'
LN2 wrote:What do the commands small, big, flip do?
Haven't the foggiest. They may be more relevant to betting mahjong games.
LN2 wrote:How does one declare mahjong/out? I see no command that appears to be "out". I have gotten a mahjong and tried different keys with the game normally resetting as a result....not good.
The one you mentioned before - Ron (default = Z).
LN2 wrote:I figured out the kan/pon/chi stuff. That's ok and works fine. BTW while I'm asking can you take a discard play to make an "eye"/pair? It doesn't appear you can based on the rules.
Nope.
LN2 wrote:All web pages for mahjong and those referred to by Phil's page explain how to play the game but not what the mame commands mean specifically.

Also, is there a simple key to sort your tiles....at the beginning the tiles are all out of order. they seem to autosort once you do a play off your opponent's discards but not until then.
Nope, most games will sort the hand for you after dealing.
LN2 wrote:It would be nice to at least understand and play some of the 250 mahjong games in mame. hehe Given how prominent it is it would be nice to have a mame-mahjong guide for this. Phil's page gives scoring but leaves the rules of the game to other sites which don't explain it in mame terms.

Any help appreciated...
The important buttons to remember are simply A-N for discarding tiles, Left Ctrl for kan, Left Alt for pon, Space for chii, Left Shift for Reach, and Z for Ron/Tsumo.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

oh well...did the right thing I guess....wonder why the game reset on me when I hit "ron".
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

My page need an update for m66 games, so I will try to also add some lines on the mame commands (end of the week if I haven't too much work)

Barry has given good answers ;
note that you take a tile to complete a pair IF it allows you to complete your hand and do a mahjong ; in other cases no
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Also you can't take a discard to win if you have already discarded the tile needed yourself.
- Barry Rodewald
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Just found this: Mahjong for Dummies. Helped me understand some of the intricacies better...

My mum wants to learn to play with the set she's had for at least a decade, so should be fun! :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yeah, that site shows things quite clearly.

From looking at that I had all figured out except the other sites I had looked at for off the table didn't have the "ron" term for that.

I do have 1 question though...could likely answer it myself just testing in mame.

If you want to go out "off the wall" where you allow a tile to be drawn...which completes your mahjong, do you still hit "z" for a "ron" even though it's technically not a ron?

...or is there a different key you hit to go out in that manner?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Same key goes out for whichever method.
- Barry Rodewald