"The Leaderboard"

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Zwaxy wrote:Aaarrrggghhh!!!

I wish there was a clear way of sorting this out once and for all, but I still can't see it.

Having LB points decay over time is a non starter in my opinion. Just because a score is old in no way devalues it.

Awarding more points for popular games would just result in the game becoming more popular, at the expense of the less popular games. The calculations involved needn't be a problem. The 'hard sums' can be done once per day and the results cached, at little extra cost in terms of CPU time, but I don't think it's a good way to go.

So what are we left with? I quite like the "use the current system, but round anything less than (10) points down to zero" idea. (where the '10' is subject to revision). I also quite liked the "use the current system but make the 15% decay cumulative - 100%, 85%, 70%, 55%, ..." idea. That only awards points for the top 7 scores. That means the site can accomodate no more than 7 ABC uploaders before they start having to fight each other for points. In time every game will have 7 decent scores for it, and the ABC uploaders will give up. Are we willing to wait for that?
While interesting ideas, I'm not seeing a whole lot of support for the "time decay" or "popularity weighting" concepts.

On the other hand I am seeing almost universal support for the notion that the awarding of points should have a cutoff on each game.

I was planning on letting the discussion go on a little longer, and then formulating several specific propositions (including a "do nothing" option) and after more discussion on tweaking the propositions, putting them to a vote.

I don't find that this is "changing a standing rule", but I would like for one proposition in the end to receive a majority vote in favor. Perhaps if the initial poll showed a couple of clear favorites, I could weed out the less popular ones and let them go head to head, or if there was a single proposition that receives a plurality but not a majority, I could put it by itself to a yes/no vote.

No hurry, but all members should let their voices be heard now if they have an opinion...whatever it may be.
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Zwaxy, since John(weehawk) doesn't seem to want to moderate the discussion, perhaps this thread can be locked with a brief summary of each suggestion that you think is a possibility to a new thread so we can better focus the discussion on those ideas in a new thread. There is too much in this thread to be able to see everything easily.

I think the time for new ideas has passed for now...so let's gather what we have in a condensed form so we can clearly narrow it down more...or create a hybrid of a coupld ideas.

I think it's odd given members like Buttermaker seem to have the loudest objections of the leaderboard yet he and others didn't really give any ideas except to get rid of the leaderboard.

Unless I study this thread and take notes, I won't have a clue of everything that has been suggested.

I was trying to keep mine simple...instead of some complex decay or popularity calculation which would also be complex and difficult and CPU time consuming for our already often slow host.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

Zwaxy wrote:I wish there was a clear way of sorting this out once and for all, but I still can't see it.
I still like the podium style of 1, 2 and 3. The code is still there. 10-3-1 could be tweaked if people don't like it.
Having LB points decay over time is a non starter in my opinion. Just because a score is old in no way devalues it.
I think so too.
Awarding more points for popular games would just result in the game becoming more popular, at the expense of the less popular games.
Yep, bad idea. And just because a game is popular at MARP doesn't mean the competition is good thus making first place more valuable.
I quite like the "use the current system, but round anything less than (10) points down to zero" idea.
That will only be good once a great score for the game is up. Otherwise the ABCers will get their points. It also might take a long time until somebody submits a great score and until then there will be many ABC style scores up at MARP already. I'd like to keep those away and not even have them at MARP.
In time every game will have 7 decent scores for it, and the ABC uploaders will give up. Are we willing to wait for that?
No. Just think about the 100 (yes, 100) Atari clones added in a recent version. There are way too many games/clones in MAME for MARP to have 7 decent scores even for a fraction of all games.

1-2-3 is the way to go.
Weehawk wrote:I was planning on letting the discussion go on a little longer, and then formulating several specific propositions (including a "do nothing" option) and after more discussion on tweaking the propositions, putting them to a vote.
A vote might result in the ABCers voting for something that gives them the most points. I hope we can find a good solution without a poll.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

ok, this thread is screwed up.

Zwaxy, lock it..and provide a summary in a new thread to focus the discussion.

My last post got posted 4 times..but isn't showing in the thread normally..but shows when you are entering a reply in the review area.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

Zwaxy wrote:Aaarrrggghhh!!!

I wish there was a clear way of sorting this out once and for all, but I still can't see it.

[Removes goggles]

Well no wonder why ya can't see Mate. You got these from Zaphod Beeblebrox? ;)

So what are we left with? I quite like the "use the current system, but round anything less than (10) points down to zero" idea. (where the '10' is subject to revision). I also quite liked the "use the current system but make the 15% decay cumulative - 100%, 85%, 70%, 55%, ..." idea. That only awards points for the top 7 scores. That means the site can accomodate no more than 7 ABC uploaders before they start having to fight each other for points. In time every game will have 7 decent scores for it, and the ABC uploaders will give up. Are we willing to wait for that?[/quote]

I like Option A! I'm very impressed by the possibilities of it. Granted, it might be a bitch for certain games, due to the incredible amount of scores submitted for them or even more so, games like Nibbler.... but I think this works! I vote for it! :) Maybe make the magic # 15-20?

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

So it took only 9 posts for page 5 to appear. Not bad.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Buttermaker wrote:A vote might result in the ABCers voting for something that gives them the most points. I hope we can find a good solution without a poll.
I don't think there are that many of them. They certainly are keeping quiet so far if they're out there.

But if they do vote in such numbers as to affect the outcome, so be it. They are members of the community as well and have just as much "say" as anyone else.

And I really don't think there is any way we are going to reach a consensus on this without a vote.
John Cunningham (JTC)