Recent Verisons of Mame Recording problems

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Recent Verisons of Mame Recording problems

Post by Barthax »

When starting to record you should have a window that resembles:
correct.JPG
correct.JPG (15.23 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
If you have a window that resembles the following you are doing it wrong... Always has been wrong and never has been right. You just lucked out that it used to work.
wrong.JPG
wrong.JPG (76.78 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
Here's an alternative record.bat that almagamates BeeJay's idea into the established record.bat so that double-clicking works with newer MAMEs:
record.zip
(462 Bytes) Downloaded 202 times
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

simpsons99 wrote:After I record the Inp I name it
If you run the batch file in the intended manner, then it will name the inp file for you.
simpsons99 wrote:Why am I being treated Like I am new to this?
Because the way you're structuring the language of your questions suggests that you're new to this.
simpsons99 wrote:Help a guy out do not give him the run around
So far most comments have been an attempt to help you out, not give you the run around, other than when we went slightly off topic with ways to improve the behaviour of the batch file to prompt you to enter the game name and inp name.
simpsons99 wrote:Come on Guys
Come on and what? Perhaps it's time you did a little bit of learning yourself about how to use the Windows Command Prompt to launch the batch file in the intended manner, rather than just expecting to double click the record.bat file with your mouse in windows explorer and have it somehow guess what game you're wanting to record. Alternatively, if you continue to refuse to do a little bit of learning on using the windows command prompt then either download and install an appropriate front-end so you can have a GUI way of selecting the game to record, or give up on recording your games.

It's your choice, and I honestly don't care either way which choice you want to do, I'm just sick and tired of you whining and moaning to the very people who have tried to help you out on this thread, and similar threads previously, when you seem to have little inclination to help yourself by learning the bare minimum you need to learn to use the windows command prompt to run the record.bat in the intended manner. I'm also sick of you having a dig at the people when you don't understand the response they gave you. As I said, do some learning about using the windows command prompt instead of suggesting that people aren't being helpful just because you didn't understand the technical nuances of their reply. It doesn't make their reply unhelpful, or mean that they're trying to give you the run-around, it just means they've probably gone to the lowest level of technical advice that they can go to and still answer the question. It would be no different than suggesting a mechanic was giving you the run-around because you didn't understand what he said was wrong with your car, or a maths tutor was giving you the run-around because you didn't understand the theorem he had just proposed, or ...

In other words: Don't blame the messenger when you can't comprehend the answer!

Finally, if the suggestion I made is implemented into the record.bat file, then double clicking on the record.bat using your mouse, instead of running it in the intended manner from a Windows Command Propmty, will present you with a prompt asking for the name of the game to record as per the following screen snap.
Mame snap #1.png
Mame snap #1.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
Suppose the game you wanted to record was Galaga, then you would type galaga and press enter when prompted for the game name and you would type say 'bea_galaga' and press enter when prompted for the inp file name as per the following screen shot.
Mame snap #2.png
Mame snap #2.png (6.45 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
I believe that barthax has already posted a modified version of the record.bat file with this suggestion included, although the words he used for the prompts will probably not be the same as my example above, but you should get the general gist of the process.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I never see that Black screen.. If anything it quickly disappears and goes to the List of games to play ... No I am not wanting the Command Line .. I Just want click Record .. Click Game Wanting to Play .. then Finish game .. Name Inp and be done with it ..
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

simpsons99 wrote:I never see that Black screen.. If anything it quickly disappears and goes to the List of games to play ... No I am not wanting the Command Line .. I Just want click Record .. Click Game Wanting to Play .. then Finish game .. Name Inp and be done with it ..
Then download a front-end, use that, and stop complaining about the record.bat if you're 'not wanting the command line'....
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

I do use a front end and it is not recording .. I am trying to figure out why it is not recording .. If your not wanting to help then do not respond .. Your just being Rude for no reason ..
Arcade Game Scores
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

looks like they are all command Line now ..

Oh well Looks like I am finished .. with New Mame
Arcade Game Scores
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

MAME has been a command line application since forever...
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
xelnia
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by xelnia »

simpsons99 wrote:I do use a front end and it is not recording .. I am trying to figure out why it is not recording .. If your not wanting to help then do not respond .. Your just being Rude for no reason ..
It's not recording because you're not using it correctly. If you're not willing to use it correctly then you can't complain when people are blunt with you. You've even ignored a solution custom-built for your method of recording...and still complain.
simpsons99 wrote:looks like they are all command Line now ..

Oh well Looks like I am finished .. with New Mame
The last built-in front-end for WolfMAME came with 106...in 2006.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

simpsons99 wrote:I do use a front end and it is not recording
If you use a front-end, then why mention record.bat in this thread?
simpsons99 wrote:I am trying to figure out why it is not recording ..
Can't help with that as you've not indicated which front-end you're using and what options you've tried to make that front-end record.
simpsons99 wrote:If your not wanting to help then do not respond ..
Actually, in my response I tried to be helpful and tell you what you could do to solve the problem.
simpsons99 wrote:Your just being Rude for no reason ..
How is saying just use a front-end being rude? Not taking the advice you've been offered on board and adjusting to that way just because you just want it to work the way you want it to work is being pretty rude to the people who have tried to help you. If I wanted to be rude it would be blatantly obvious with liberally sprinkled words like 'dickhead', 'dork', etc, but I haven't been using those words in my posting so I really don't see why you think I'm being rude. Blunt maybe, because yet again you seem to be intent on ignoring the helpful advice people have given you. Or, maybe you think it's rude when people don't pander to your oversized sense of entitlement that everything should just work the way you want it to work. Well, if that's what you think is being rude I politely suggest you get over yourself, take some time to read and try to understand what has been suggested, and remember that your current approach of a total unwillingness to try recording the way Mame has always worked with recording/playback since the feature was first introduced is considered rude by those who have tried to help you out.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

Here's an updated version of the record.bat file, slightly modified from the one posted earlier. This one loops around continuously asking for your input until you input something...
record.zip
(649 Bytes) Downloaded 207 times
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

What I do not get is what has changed since wolf 153 .. I had no problems recording without using a command line with that
Arcade Game Scores
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

Barthax wrote:Here's an updated version of the record.bat file, slightly modified from the one posted earlier. This one loops around continuously asking for your input until you input something...
record.zip

I downloaded this .. I tried doing Donkey Kong 3 (usa)
So I typed that for the game I wanted to play
Then put name as DKONG3 ..

Nothing happens
Arcade Game Scores
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

MAME is a command line application. Always has been, and probably always will be.

record.bat and playback.bat are intended to be used from the command prompt, where you can give it the parameters it needs. The fact that it worked without parameters in earlier versions is simply dumb luck.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

simpsons99 wrote:
Barthax wrote:Here's an updated version of the record.bat file, slightly modified from the one posted earlier. This one loops around continuously asking for your input until you input something...
record.zip

I downloaded this .. I tried doing Donkey Kong 3 (usa)

Nothing happens
You need to enter the short name of the game for the 1st prompt.

I'm assuming you tried typing Donkey Kong 3 (usa) for the game name prompt, and DKONG3 for the inp name prompt?
Barthax
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Barthax »

BeeJay wrote:
simpsons99 wrote:I downloaded this .. I tried doing Donkey Kong 3 (usa)

Nothing happens
You need to enter the short name of the game for the 1st prompt.

I'm assuming you tried typing Donkey Kong 3 (usa) for the game name prompt, and DKONG3 for the inp name prompt?
Yeah, dkong3 for both - MAME has never used long names like "Donkey Kong 3 (usa)". Remember: only this bespoked record.bat will support asking for the input.