My "Farewell Speech"

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

My "Farewell Speech"

Post by gameboy9 »

Well - I'm sure it's not completly farewell - and I wasn't going to write a farewell address down - until our good friend JD Lowe alerted me to a list of new referees that Twin Galaxies wrote about on the 21st of April.

To quote their site, one of the referee's descriptions stated:
MARK LONGRIDGE - this dedicated gamer functions as both an editor and referee for Twin Galaxies. Mark functions as our worldwide MAME and MARP referee and is the authority on any and all things MAME and MARP. At any time, Mark will be the person who knows what the currently accepted versions of MAME and MARP are.
Now, of course, this isn't about Mark, he's a great gentleman, and has made great contributions to MAME and the what I'm going to call the high score regime - something I and the MARP community certainly appreciate.

The problem with this paragraph is that it seems to me that the author of this article is treating MARP as a software program. Please correct me if wrong, but MARP is a website. It was created by Zwaxy, definatly a great programmer, who worked his butt off to get this site going for us - I'd like to extend my appreciation to Zwaxy once more for his contribution to the high score regime.

Not only is MARP a website, MARP is a community. There are actually seven, soon to be six, "referees" who also work their butts off for no money whatsoever, trying to make the your experience as best as it can be. There are also 47 other confirmers (yes, I'm counting inactive ones) that also help out as well. I would like to thank all those people for their help in making MARP the best high score site possible.

MARP has nearly 600 members, people who enjoy just playing the games like myself, that also contribute their accomplishments. They've submitted over 22,500 recordings in the over four years MARP has been going, and I would like to extend my gratitude to those people for doing so. MARP is just not MARP without them.

I'm sorry Twin Galaxies, MARP is no software program, it's a website, it's a community. I hope the author of that article will make a correction to this, because, frankly, I'm personally insulted that the author didn't research this "program" at all and therefore he treated MARP as a "program".

As I leave this position, I now offer a challenge. I know MARP can be improved upon, and I'm quite confident that I wasn't the best person to take the job, so I challenge all of you to make MARP even better than it is now. I know you can do it because, believe me, MARP is a great group to work with, so it's kinda sad that I'm just taking a more relaxed position now. But I'm also happy knowing that all of you will do well without me, though. :wink:

P.S. One of the new referees happens to be J.D. Lowe - I really hope he gets TG out of the deep hole it's dug - he's one of the best candidates to do such a thing. Good luck to you, my friend.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net