Rule 2a

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Rule 2a

Post by Novice »

a) Only one credit per game shall be permitted.

what does this mean?
A: Ban insert 2nd(or more) credit.
B: Ban use 2nd (or more) credit.

I think Right rule is A. so then push credit during game, it will be void.
is it right?
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
mahlemiut
Editor

Re: Rule 2a

Post by mahlemiut »

So long as only one credit is actually used, there shouldn't be any problem. Some people, for whatever reason, just love to ring up a bunch of credits at once. Nothing really wrong with that, just maybe a bit irritating. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
simpsons99
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by simpsons99 »

some times I credit it and walk away .. then naturally come back and credit it again.

something again with old age and habits ..
If you have a FB Account I'm Brian Allen
On KLOV and other sites I'm Simpsons99
Arcade Game Scores
DKJR 1,073,800 Level F Kill screen !
DK3 TG MED Skill Level 1,365,000 Level 80?
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

Common sense would say B, except in games where the very presence of one or more credits in memory affects score
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

ok.
then i wish you will not complain my next replay.
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

My own trackfld-m score has that problem - I was switching hands on my tankstick and once in 7+ hours I accidentally hit the coin button which added a credit.

It was not used, of course, and the marathon track only accounts for a 1-life score... it would have been a major bummer to have that performance invalidated by a brush of a coin button :D

Your score will be welcomed, I'm sure.
bmclean
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by bmclean »

My interpretation is that it is B. I've confirmed numerous scores from players who, for whatever reason, put several credits in before playing their game. I'm not a particular fan of the practice as it opens up the idea of memory manipulation through the coin input, which is something that would not happen in a real-world competition environment. But as long as there's no evidence of that and the player only submits the first credit in their replay, I think it is acceptable.
PG3
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by PG3 »

Last edited by PG3 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GJTMarper
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by GJTMarper »

bmclean wrote:I'm not a particular fan of the practice as it opens up the idea of memory manipulation through the coin input, which is something that would not happen in a real-world competition environment.
In theory, yes you could manipulate things by having multiple credits in the machine as you play. However, multiple credits can't be helped in some cases (you need them for some reason within the game itself) and you would probably need to use the MAME debugger to find any useful manipulations that way. If there WAS a way to manipulate game memory by using multiple credits, it would probably be obvious enough to be caught by a confirmer replaying the INP and subsequently DQed.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

On Xybots inserting another credit gives you an extra coin to spend at the store.
bmclean
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by bmclean »

Right, there are situations where inserting coins gives other kinds of advantages. Gauntlet straight up gives you more health for each coin inserted, Double Dragon 3 allows you to buy new moves by inserting money, et cetera. But those are things that are obvious when used inside a recording and should be caught quickly by people watching it.