Discussion about MARP's Time Trial Competition
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net/timetrial

Moderator: giro-X

giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: TimeTrial 2015 - Round 5 [garou-sm]

Post by giro-X »

Dax wrote:Defeated Rnd 7, however I could not get it to play back properly. In fact I cant seem to get any recording to play back properly for this game.
I don't understand why you can't playback correctly, although this INP arrives to 7 cleared, lost Rock VS Tizoc at round 8 with 02:54:47 for round 7 cleared.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

I'm still doing the check of scores but as for now, Valmir seems to be at a tournament score of 95, Dax at 94, Phil Lamat at 69.

Bad Dad Jokes has loaded the score to garou instead of garou-sm
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Updating the first 3 tournament positions, Valmir 95, Dax 91, Phil Lamat 69

Another issue I would like to talk about is this.
giro-X wrote:Anyway - if any of the participants encounter that trouble, of being not able to acceed to Survival mode with A+B+C+D+1P, please let me know, you can leave a message here in the forums as well as a private message to my account here. If you do not have still an account on MARP forums (bad :P ), you can leave to my FB or my e-mail giro-x@hotmail.it (I will check daily - this week) --- and meanwhile I get to read the notify, keep training :)

Until nobody has the trouble, all the default rules are on, and so:
default bios, wolfMAME 0.156, no multiple buttons on same key.
Nobody has ever messaged me or us to have troubles at launching the Survival Mode without using multiple buttons on same key. As you know, it is forbidden to map multiple buttons/directions on same key (MARP rule 2D). The image I have shown on how to map 4 buttons on a single key was an alternative way to take in consideration IF somebody would have reported their impossibility to acceed to the special game mode WITHOUT the multiple mapping.
And what I find out?
Bad Dad Jokes, INNUENDO, Paulo Valmir, have sent a recording where at the screen of interest seem to have pushed all 4 buttons in the same frame (on frame X no button, on frame X+1 all buttons pressed), the others (mahlemiut, Phil Lamat, Dax) have not pushed all 4 at same frame. The most clear input of these 3 is Dax's, where no button is pressed at the same frame.

About the real playing in the middle, instead, after all INNUENDO and Valmir do not show usage of multiple mapping keys, Bad Dad Jokes has some periods of incredible mashing even though I have no real proof (as my tools are limited) that a key with 2 buttons has been used. I was about to say 1+4, but it has no meaning to be used in this game and I simply deduct he has gone random at times for the sake of luck. (The same I would do)

Anyway, as you saw, someone used 4-in-1 and someone else didn't. We could have had days of time to give an alternative to allow you to send INPs in another way such as you were not forced to use 4-in-1 button, but nobody said a word, and 2 of these players also submitted the last day available.
SO what should I do now? I understand that using the 4-in-1 (or 2 keys with 2 buttons each, that is the worst) for just entering the special mode is not the same as using them into real playing... but as I do not have proof that you used multiple buttons keys, I don't even have proof you did not use them... so to be literal I should disqualify three scores.
Unless it will be allowed in a thread in Regulation Play.
Phil, as editor, and Regulation Coordinator, I'd like your opinion on this. Other editors' (and users) opinions are welcome.

By the way, as I get more free time, I will give a deeper look at Warriors of Fate scores too as it is the only other game where A+B on same key is relevant.
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

giro-X wrote:Phil, as editor, and Regulation Coordinator, I'd like your opinion on this. Other editors' (and users) opinions are welcome.
Well, as I'm also player on this tournament, I'm embarrassed to give my opinion for now.
I prefer to let other ones talk first.
As soon as your decision will be taken (any will be fine for me anyway, I was just playing here for fun), I will give my opinion for regular ...
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Phil Lamat wrote:
giro-X wrote:Phil, as editor, and Regulation Coordinator, I'd like your opinion on this. Other editors' (and users) opinions are welcome.
Well, as I'm also player on this tournament, I'm embarrassed to give my opinion for now.
I prefer to let other ones talk first.
As soon as your decision will be taken (any will be fine for me anyway, I was just playing here for fun), I will give my opinion for regular ...
It is for fun that we play and organize tournaments, not for showing off, not even for real prizes :wink: thus why I don't want to be SO strict about these details.
I am disappointed just because there is no level of communication, we could have played with special settings (different BIOS) and uploaded scores to new indipendent ranking (*tt2015-game5) so there was no excuse ever to use multiple buttons keys... Barry brought up even another solution... I mean, there were possibilities.
For common sense, I would say: during the effective gameplay, if there is no evidence of that cheating, then using the mapping of 4 buttons in a key for "opening" the game is fine. But this is my conception of common sense.
Willing and duty are two different things.

Until there is no news/update, this is the Time Trial final scoreboard!
The starred (*) garou-sm scores are the ones still subject to final decision.
[DQ] = disqualified (and no other regular score sent)
[no] = no score sent

1) Paulo Valmir - 95 pts (wof 20 - astyanax 25 - aurail [DQ] - qix 25 - garou-sm* 25)
2) Dax - 91 pts (wof 25 - astyanax 20 - aurail 16 - qix 20 - garou-sm 10)
3) Phil Lamat - 69 pts (wof 16 - astyanax 8 - aurail 13 - qix 16 - garou-sm 16)

4) 3 players in TIE (wow) with 55 pts
Bad Dad Jokes (wof 13 - astyanax 10 - aurail 11 - qix 10 - garou-sm* 11)
DaLar (wof 8 - astyanax 13 - aurail 25 - qix 9 - garou-sm [no])
INNUENDO (wof 9 - astyanax 16 - aurail 9 - qix 8 - garou-sm* 13)
7) TheBSM - 40 pts (wof 10 - astyanax 9 - aurail 10 - qix 11 - garou-sm [no])
8] Sawys - 39 pts (wof 5 - astyanax 7 - aurail 20 - qix 7 - garou-sm [no])
9) 2 players in TIE with 29 pts
C.Hatchett (wof 11 - astyanax 11 - aurail 7 - qix [no] - garou-sm [no])
CrazyKongFan (wof 3 - astyanax 5 - aurail 8 - qix 13 - garou-sm [no])
11) mahlemiut - 20 pts (wof [no] - astyanax [no] - aurail [no] - qix [no] - garou-sm 20)
12) Paolo Colman - 10 pts (wof 4 - astyanax 6 - aurail [no] - qix [no] - garou-sm [no])
13) Agodzilla - 7 pts (wof 7 - astyanax [no] - aurail [no] - qix [no] - garou-sm [no])
14) xelnia - 6 pts (wof 6 - astyanax [no] - aurail [no] - qix [no] - garou-sm [no])

I make my congratulations to the first Tournament classified players, as well as whoever was able to reach a 1st to 3rd place in a singular game, and I particularly enjoyed some other lower scores where players had a good fast rhythm but still weren't able to reach the goal so fell behind in positions.
I'm quite disappointed about the low participation but we have no power on this. Real life business, low interest by players, other activities outside MARP... patience :wink:

I leave here the link to Complete Scoreboard spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing as I am removing it from my signature now.
sawys
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by sawys »

Hi.

Thank you for organizing this tournament even if most of the games weren't my preferred one... And you assasinated me with this last game ^^

The bad for you is that there is the new Mame Olympic tournament since end of january ;-)

It was just for fun for me. I think it is important that this tourney survives because it has a specific scoreboarding which leads the player to go far in the game without thinking in points or scoring.

Cheers.
Sawys is Sébastien GIRAUD, admin of MAMESCORE, member of MARP, TWIN GALAXIES, RETRO UPRISING and ex-member of JVRM :-D
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

Giro, congratulations for this tournament. I´m just little disapointed with my plays, because I´m without free time enough. But I had a lot of fun and you did an excellent work. Thank you very much.
Long life to good games
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

About the A+B+C+D key thing, sincerely, to end it up... the only thing that mattered to me was to report the fact. Of who did what when. It's assumed we play for fun, fun that I had watching all the replays, fun you had playing, so since I'm not even saying there's evidence (again, with my tools) of usage of multiple inputs in a single key "in the battles", I am still fine with letting those scores as valid. As long as it can be read all that I reported, to me it's fine. :wink:
INNUENDO wrote:Giro, congratulations for this tournament. I´m just little disapointed with my plays, because I´m without free time enough. But I had a lot of fun and you did an excellent work. Thank you very much.
I'm glad I have run it instead of playing one... because I was with poor free time as well! :mrgreen:
Thank you for your comment :)
sawys wrote:Hi.

Thank you for organizing this tournament even if most of the games weren't my preferred one... And you assasinated me with this last game ^^

The bad for you is that there is the new Mame Olympic tournament since end of january ;-)

It was just for fun for me. I think it is important that this tourney survives because it has a specific scoreboarding which leads the player to go far in the game without thinking in points or scoring.

Cheers.
Eh thank you and sorry for the... last game choice \:D/
Paulo Valmir
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Paulo Valmir »

congratulations for this tournament, Giro, good games
I did not put all the buttons on a key, I just used a key, the button "D"
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Congrats Paulo Valmir!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
Dax
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Dax »

My two cents on the whole button mapping thing, which Im just now seeing is that any simultaneous button in a frame are mearly coincidence when you mash all at once to open that game mode. It stands to reason that with as many games as players play their are going to be occasions when there are multiple presses in a single frame. Theres so not a need to split any kind of hairs here. Congrats to Paulo for roaring back after the the regrettable DQ that came under the wire on Aurail. Was exciting for me. And now me and the guys are back for the upcoming challenges. Hope we can draw a crowd.