Track & Field marathon settings on MARP?

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: Track & Field marathon settings on MARP?

Post by Alessandro.S »

Hah, 7.6 speeds ? I can only dream about those =P~

I just finished a nightly run for a game of just above 4M, which I'll upload to MARP later today; I was too tired to take note of the score and I am really going to sleep now, but later on I'll play it back with F10 and see the exact score (should be 4.031.xxx but I'm not really sure).

My best performances:
8.12 on 100m
9m67 on long jump (boy do I suck at getting close to the line, and indeed I lost the game with 3 jumps under 9m, the shame)
99m68 on javelin
9.89 on 110hs (had 3 extraordinary runs, the rest was in the neighborhood of 10.30)
99.49 on hammer
2m50 on high jump

Notes: I hadn't played T&F for over 3 years before this game, and it shows. I was able to get either arm to produce short bursts of high speed, but both arms locked up when exercised for more than a few seconds (and yeah, in my case it's definitely old age). It appears that 110 hurdles are less sensitive to the lockups than 100m dash.

There were two occasions where hammer throw was out of sync and it would throw along the upper line instead of along the lower, one at 1.4M and the other at 2.37M.

At 3.8M, after 110hs, the game celebrated me as champion of the .th (yes, dot-th) match, and it reset difficulty to what it is at beginning of the game; since then the celebration always happened after 110hs and before hammer throw.

I think it took me 7 hours to play, and I'm not sure I'll have the heart to do that again when you folks get on top of my score :lol:

:arrow: off to zZZzzz
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by AL »

Joystick fail at 200k. Will dig out older controls.

Good stuff Alessandro.

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
Alessandro.S
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Alessandro.S »

After oversleeping during the day and playing two games of Risiko (italian version of Risk) at my sister's place, I managed to upload the recording to MARP; it's actually a 4.041.620 game, with best 110hs at 9.87 and not 9.89 as stated earlier.

Game ended in long jump: 8.91, 8.94 and then a foul for a hair which could easily have been a 9m54 jump... but I had been close to elimination a couple times before that in long jump and hammer, and made it, so I can't blame bad luck. I was definitely tired and getting sleepy on top of that.
Both arms still hurt a fair bit as I write, especially the left triceps, and there is no way I could play another marathon in the next five days I guess...

Tommi - how does one marathon t&f with buttons ? Isn't that even harder than with joystick+button ?

AL - good luck with newer controls
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Good stuff Alessandro. 99.49 is a great hammer record. (Not to mention scoring 4 million!)

I too think long jump and hammer are the most risky events. I also had one or two close calls on long jump at my 3 million game...managing to gather my concentration on the last try. Kinda fun and rewarding handling the pressure...

On my first game, where I failed at javelin I was playing it with wrong tactics. There's absolutely no risk on javelin if you don't foul on 2nd throw...

-

Happy to learn that joystick marathoning is not easy either. How I do it with buttons...well, I have to be very focused on 110 hurdles, can't go for records really. It's rather complicated running hurdles using 6-finger technique.

Nice to hear that Al will get to the business as well. Who will be the most crazy marathon man? :)
Agodzilla
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Agodzilla »

Hi Tommi,nice to see you're still in progress with T&F
It's been ALOT of time that i'm not playing it but after i ended build up my new joystick(hope in next 2 weeks) i'll give it a go :)
But not for a marathon,that thing took a HUGE amount of time,not to mention a great stock of redbull and/or voltaren :lol:

However i 'm here lurking your progress and the Alessandro's ones...
Hi Alex :) long time no see,maybe 2006/2007 at +Davil+'s home in Padova??