An advice to Hotrod PS/2 -controller owners

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

An advice to Hotrod PS/2 -controller owners

Post by The TJT »

I have this Hotrod arcade controller that hooks into ps/2 port.

Now when I hook it up to computer's USB port using USB - PS/2 adapter

...It doesn't work on Windows 7 UNLESS my old ps/2 keyboard is hooked into Hotrod!

So a word of warning for Hotrod / X-arcade etc PS/2 controller owners: Don't throw your old ps/2 keyboards away just yet...
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Re: An advice to Hotrod PS/2 -controller owners

Post by Chad »

This has been my bane ever since I've owned an hotrod. It's always needed a keyboard plugged into it to work on XP for 10 or so years. Maybe there's a ground someone can rig that just dongles out of the keyboard input and makes it work...
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I'm glad to have an OzStick... plug it in, and it works, regardless of OS.

Now there must have been some good reason for a joystick to effectively work as a keyboard... can't think of it now, though... ;)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

When the HotRod came out, Mame's support for Joysticks was minimal to say the least.

Also, whenever I've tried using a PS/2 to USB converter for my HotRod, it had so much lag it was unusable. Are you saying you have no lag with this PS/2 to USB converter?

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

It is true now. I've also aquired a hotrod like stick that uses usb, the response seems to be ok now, haven't tested it thorougly but I see no obvious differences between ps/2 and usb, since i still use my ps/2 hotrod aa it works well as long as a keyboard is connected :)
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

BeeJay wrote:Are you saying you have no lag with this PS/2 to USB converter?
Yes. Haven't noticed lag thus far...then again I've only played a few games of Magic Crystal...which I had not played before.

Maybe computers or converters have become just better. Anyway I'm happy my Hotrod appears to work just fine with usb and win 7.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Once you've had the chance to test other games, where the lag would be more noticeable, if it still runs fine could you give me the details of the brand/model of converter so I can see if i can find one the same here in NZ. The last one I tried definitely had a lag that meant something like Galaga was almost unplayable, also there was definite interference with two player games when plugged into the PS/2 to USB converter, so that would be something worth testing as well. It was most noticeable when trying to play 2 players at once on Puzzle Du Pon, which my kids love to play as a 2 player game.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Ok. I'll get back to you later. Maybe I should play some Galaga and test mouse as well (This converter has ps/2 mouse to usb plug too, it's exact same converter displayed in the picture above)
unclechicken
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by unclechicken »

Chad wrote:It is true now. I've also aquired a hotrod like stick that uses usb, the response seems to be ok now, haven't tested it thorougly but I see no obvious differences between ps/2 and usb, since i still use my ps/2 hotrod aa it works well as long as a keyboard is connected :)
The keyboard probably needs to be connected so that the USB part where you plug in your stick uses the keyboard controller to give inputs to MAME.

Open up Notepad, and press the buttons and directions, do characters appear? If so, its using the keyboards controller mapper as its stick controls, which would explain the lag.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Actually the HotRod uses it's own built in keyboard controller, and has a pass through loop for plugging the keyboard in at the same time as the HotRod.

It was actually a very nice approach as it means any keyboard based game that allows you to reconfigure the controls could be played with the HotRod.

It's just a real shame that the way they designed it means that unless you plug a keyboard in as well it just won't work. :(

Hopefully TJT will confirm that there is no lag when going through his USB converter, and no ghosting/conflict with multiplayer. Then I'll finally be able to use my HotRod on a faster computer, given that all my current faster computers don't have PS/2 keyboard ports. :(

If not, I know what's on my Christmas list this year!!!!

Cheers,
BeeJay.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Hi Beejay and others. Sorry for being late for Christmas present purposes though :)

- I've played now some Track&Field and I assure you - there is no lag at all.
- I have also played few test runs of Atari Firefox laserdisk game as well, and mouse + keyboard combination works fine as well.
-Before typing this post I played couple short games of Robotron, and there certainly was no ghosting issues.

This is the USB=>PS2 adapter I'm using to hook up my PS2 Hotrod arcade stick, with Windows 7:

http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 61244.html

You can buy here:
http://www.delock.com/kaufen/

Happy gaming.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

For those of us with aging HotRod controllers with PS/2 style adapters:

http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-par ... grade-kit/

I'm considering ordering the conversion kit soon... if I do, I'll let you know how it goes for me...

It should also mean I can finally throw away that old keyboard with a PS/2 adapter!! :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

That was quick.. we ordered a couple of the the conversion kits late last week and they've already arrived here in NZ. :)

I guess this weekends project will be installing the conversion kits in our respective HotRod's.

I'll post an update if/when I find the spare time this weekend to do the installation in case anyone else with a PS/2 style HotRod wants to consider the upgrade kit option.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

The TJT wrote: ...It doesn't work on Windows 7 UNLESS my old ps/2 keyboard is hooked into Hotrod!
I will try this with my x arcade as well as I am having a rpoblem with this on my laptop.
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA
ballas
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by ballas »

The TJT wrote: ...It doesn't work on Windows 7 UNLESS my old ps/2 keyboard is hooked into Hotrod!
I will try this with my x arcade as well as I am having a problem with this on my laptop.
KVD
Koos van Dyk
Johannesburg
SOUTH AFRICA