K8 - Round 2 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (pbobble2j)

Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: K8 - Round 2 - Puzzle Bobble 2 (pbobble2j)

Post by MJS »

I was told PAC made the recording before the deadline but he couldn't submit earlier because he had to rush to the hospital because his son was very ill.

Considering this, I think he should be given a second chance.

For me it's ok, you can ask The Pro if he agrees.
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Once I declared forfeit, I assumed that PAC would automatically pass to the next round even if he submitted nothing. Even though he missed the deadline, I had basically made him the winner. Up to the coordinators of course but I think this would be a good rule: forfeit means auto win for the opponent.
Aurcade - Find the coin-op games you want to play!
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

If I remember well, Destructor resigned on K5 semifinals and Pat automatically passed to the finals...
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
nii-san
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by nii-san »

Great detail by The_pro and MJS. Wonderful!
OgeMalis
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by OgeMalis »

Great players and best people The_pro and MJS =D> =D>
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

Okay I tested the save state thing with Galaga (which has save state support).

First I made a save state after playing one short game.
Then I recorded an inp loading the save state at initialization (mamep106-vc.exe galaga -record galaga -state 1).
Then I tried to playback (mamep106-vc.exe galaga -playback galaga -state 1) worked fine.
Then I tried to playback without the initial save state (mamep106-vc.exe galaga -playback galaga) didn't work.

Not only the playback didn't work, it also made the game hang.
Only with -state 1 the replay playbacks ok.

More tests should be done, but there you have it... with this save state I can make sure you played after I've sent it to you :wink:
MJS
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by MJS »

I'm a dumbass, forgot to do the most important test #-o
Fortunately the result is the expected.

Recorded an inp without the initial save state (mamep106-vc.exe galaga -record galaga).
Tried to playback with the initial save state (mamep106-vc.exe galaga -playback galaga -state 1) didn't work.

It starts playing but soon losses sync.

Here I am attaching the save state if anyone wants to try:
galaga-1.zip
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:If I remember well, Destructor resigned on K5 semifinals and Pat automatically passed to the finals...
Actually that isn't the case. Pat33999 still submitted a recording anyway -> http://replay.marpirc.net/r/esckids
oldtimes
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by oldtimes »

The_Pro wrote:Once I declared forfeit, I assumed that PAC would automatically pass to the next round even if he submitted nothing. Even though he missed the deadline, I had basically made him the winner. Up to the coordinators of course but I think this would be a good rule: forfeit means auto win for the opponent.
What about agreeding with this?
I think is a good option; The_Pro forfaited before PAC's inp submission so PAC was already winner.

In any case,if this way will not be choose by coordinators,i vote for B option
Last edited by oldtimes on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

MJS wrote:I was told PAC made the recording before the deadline but he couldn't submit earlier because he had to rush to the hospital because his son was very ill.
Trivia: During the first HARP Championship finals against Metrackle I've got a two weeks strong disease that prevented me from playing or even doing anything else in that period. In the end I've lost but didn't even cited this fact to the community until now, for me I've plainly lost to a worthy opponent, period.

Tourneys are like this, I'm sure that it isn't neither the first nor the second case where real life comes into account.
JYD
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by JYD »

Hello everybody, I'm not in the competition this year, but I have an opinion on the situation and would like to share it.

I think as The Pro has abandoned the match, it was instantly PAC the winner of this encounter.
That PAC would have scored or not isn't important for the rest of the tournament, anyway he had no opponent.

I think PAC should be in round 3, also because he is a great player (3rd in the first round).

It's just my opinion, the coordinators will decide the best solution.

Good luck to all.

PS : ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!! ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!!
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Hi all!

It's a delicated situation, for sure!

Maybe we can consider the "real life" issues and allow PAC move to next round, but in the other hand I agree with Kale, because eveyone has difficulties during the week, etc. And the rules (deadline to submit) were not followed.

In the other side The_Pro resigned, PAC want to play next round, and MJS accepted. It's better than MJS playing against nobody in the next round. A third option would be accept TheBSM in the slot, but it was not planned he entering in that place of the chart/bracket.

Well, nothing decided will be 100% correct, just because this situation was not planned by the rules. Just it!

Finally, I agree with Oldtimes. No matter what will be the coordinators decision, it's ok for me! By the way, good game for you Oldtimes.

That's all.
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

I agree with TRB, especially when it comes to the fact that ANY decision taken will not be 100% correct anyway.

And mind you, I'm pushing towards the bye for MJSTY but, as long as selfishness occurs, it's actually a major handicap for me to get somebody that rested over the entire week in the case I get rid of my next opponent.
Tafoid
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Tafoid »

Massimo Gaspari wrote:I'm sorry for PAC but unfortunately did not follow the time line to send any inp.
He had a week to send any score and would have been enough to go through.
The Pro also had already announced his retirement yesterday ....

This is a case that has never happened in the past and we coordinators have decided to choose the 15 players remaining in the race by choosing:

A - Mjsty directly to the next round (of course sending a inp)

B - A "lucky loser" takes the place (the best score of the eliminated people)

The vote should be by tomorrow, however, before the announcement of the new game.
I agree with these options, purely as someone who is watching the tourney from the outside. There is some consideration to allow PAC to pass on due to the public forfeiture by The_Pro and other personal happenings to PAC. The problem is that I didn't see that there was a judge accepting this forfeit and declaring PAC the winner. That would the only way, in my eyes, you would forgive the non-posting of the INP in a timely manner. Tournaments are supposed to be tough and in this case, there is no sense of the rigid timing start and ends of a round if there are no consequences for missing this deadline. My personal vote would go for the (B) option above. Each player should compete against someone (think of it as a baseball "Wild Card" team, where the best record in the rest of the league fills in the last slot). In the future, you might consider a more active process of "forfeit" and a process one must do through to do so officially. Saying something on a forum without any official acknowledgment could cause confusion which definitely happened here and it would seem assumptions were made all around.
shoesama
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by shoesama »

Just to make sure, the decision's going to come from the voting results right?
The king of lamer - winner of K8