gmgalax

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

gmgalax

Post by LN2 »

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/gmgalax-gm

this new first place score by Gat should be DQ'd...or at least reduced to what the score is after the 3+1(4th death).

He used 4 start men. MAME default is 3. Gat, this isn't perfect pacman track you are playing here. 3 start men is the setting.
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Re: gmgalax

Post by gat »

This romset is tracked on Twin Galaxies and I used their settings. It states in the marp rules to either use the default settings or twin galaxies settings, which I have done!
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gat »

I've located the rule which I mentioned:-

2j) Recording submissions must be recorded with that particular ROMset's defaults or TG (Twin Galaxies) settings. A recording set at easier or different settings is subject to deletion, especially if it is higher than others at more difficult settings. Recording on TG settings, which are the official arcade game settings, is preferred, and will gain your scores further notice from your fellow players.

LN2 please could you tell me where to find the exceptions to this rule as I cannot find them?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

what are the TG settings? He gets 4 lives to start plus 1. His 3rd life ends at 4.4m.
-skito
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gat »

The TG settings are 5 lives to start and bonus life at 10000. Please explain what part of rule 2j that I have not adhered to?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

There are TG settings listed for stupid bootlegs on different hardware? (Not that it would surprise me, it's just that TG is currently inaccessable).

As I understand the rule, or at least what I would expect the intention to be, is to use MAME (or the game's, for those that don't have DIP switches) default settings or harder, or to use TG settings. You are using neither, if you do indeed start with 4 lives.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gat »

I used TG settings of 5 lives to start with a bonus life at 10000. Please watch my replay before commenting that I have used any other setting than those I stated I used. At the start you will see one life one the maze and at the left hand side of the screen you will see the 4 lives that I have remaining until I earn the bonus life at 10000 at which point I will have 5 lives remaining at the side counter and 1 on the maze. Again can either of you three who have commented check your facts first then please tell me what part of rule 2j that I have not adhered to or point me to the location where the exceptions to this rule are located?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I thought it was obvious that I was only trying to clarify the rule as I see it... but if you insist...

...waits for replay to download...

...starts MAME...

Yes, starts with 5 lives, plus one extend at 10k.

Just need to confirm that there are indeed TG settings for this game (TG is still inaccessable for me).
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gat »

Thank you for taking the time to confirm the mistakes of LN2 and chad, as they were both quick to critcise but slow to check facts, greatly appreciated especially as LN2 wanted the score DQ'd without first ascertaining the facts.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yes, I have verified that is the case.

However, when doing that in the submission you need to state in your description you are using "TG settings".
We then can check the TG settings and see you match up.

However, why did you use 4 start men then vs. 5?

also, TG, geesh....wtf?!?!? 5 start men for any pac-man you want now? I hope not. The 5-man was a SPECIAL CASE for pacman due to the kill screen to allow maxing points.

Since this variant has no kill screen, no way 5 start men should be the track setting. I am going to post to the TG forums now about this.
It's bad enough all this 5+1 crap. TG opened a can of worms on this 10 years ago and it is spreading like a disease.

yeah, let's use more than factory setting men for a marathonable game. NOT.
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gat »

I used 5 men to start with a bonus life at 10000 which are the TG settings.

1st death at 2985970
2nd death at 4406850
3rd death at 4407180
4th death at 4943440
5th death at 4948830
6th death at 4949100

6 deaths = 5 + 1 settings to start with

And yes if you can read it says TG settings underneath my score in the link YOU posted to my score!
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

ok, I would accept the score after the 4th death as the score then. no way this game should be 5+1.

http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewtopi ... 96#p119696
gat
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by gat »

If you'd have said that in the first place instead of trying to DQ it without checking out the facts I would have accepted that without the need for the back and forth on the forums. The score after the 4th death is only 6,000 less than the final score!
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

gat wrote:Thank you for taking the time to confirm the mistakes of LN2 and chad, as they were both quick to critcise but slow to check facts, greatly appreciated especially as LN2 wanted the score DQ'd without first ascertaining the facts.
uuh, no. I said
...or at least reduced to what the score is after the 3+1(4th death).
cuz regardless of the TG settings which are seriously flawed for this rom set MARP should just decide on their own to use the MAME default.

TG has totally lost it and some ref just blindly adding this track and just copying the pacman settings without even checking into it first.

the 5+1 was an exception for pacman...and turbo pacman only.
all the other variants are still at 3+1...like mspac, pacplus etc.
no reason why this POS game should be 5+1...doesn't even have the kill screen which is the only reason TG ever considered 5+1 to start with.