Discussion about the MAME Championships
http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

sawys wrote:
sikraiken wrote:http://beatthegame.net/gng2.zip (need an MNG viewer to playback)

How about this one as well (it's the one Innuendo mentioned)?

This is a time trial, and these do help a little if done correctly. Davil does the trick with the dragon. He also does a trick where he goes up the ladder in stage 6 to get the enemies moving, then he goes back down the ladder and goes all the way to the left of the screen, shoots until the enemies jump, and then goes back up the ladder. The enemies are in midair so you can walk underneath them.

Why shouldn't these things be allowed? It's not like they get rid of enemies for an entire stage, give invincibility or anything like that.

The first one that I posted a video of doesn't really matter since you don't actually gain any time for using it. The other two I mentioned in this post should be allowed though. They've been used on MARP before.
I could be ok for the ladder, the red devil and the dragon but not for the 1st trick you mentioned because if i saw well, it's like a shortcut, no ?
It allows you to not have to deal with the one flying enemy, but he's easy to deal with anyway. You actually lose time by doing it, so it isn't worth it. I read that you could get to the bridge OR 5th level with it, but I've never had it send me to the 5th level. I don't think it's possible to get to the 5th level by doing it.
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

I can´t upload. Appears this message to me:

type: exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError
value: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xb4 in position 226: ordinal not in range(128)
traceback:

File "/sites/retrogames.com/marp/main.py", line 465, in main
upload.do_upload(cmd_line)
File "/sites/retrogames.com/marp/upload.py", line 256, in do_upload
position = insert_high_score(short, score, prefix, version, 0, the_udt, md5_dir + "/" + basename, desc)
File "/sites/retrogames.com/marp/scores.py", line 92, in insert_high_score
version, date, file, clean_for_dangerous_tags(note), 0, 0)
File "/sites/retrogames.com/marp/database.py", line 190, in insert_allscores
return run_query(query, debug)
File "/sites/retrogames.com/marp/database.py", line 86, in run_query
cursor.execute(query)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/MySQLdb/cursors.py", line 146, in execute
query = query.encode(charset)
Long life to good games
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

Here's my pitiful attempt. I forgot how much I really hate this game....I think I hate this game more than TJT hates Dig Dug.
Attachments
dbh-gng-k6-2-02.zip
(17.63 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
INNUENDO
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by INNUENDO »

This is my replay.
Attachments
gng.zip
K6 - Game finished - 29´58
(77.16 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Long life to good games
dbh
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by dbh »

The clock will start when you gain control of your character, and the clock will stop when you lose your last life, or when you defeat the final boss in the 2nd loop.
I think I see a flaw in this description, best displayed by an example: Suppose I have two replays, both of which I get past the second stage bosses but die during the third stage.

On one replay, I finish off the second boss in 5 minutes and the entire replay lasts 10 minutes total but fails to kill the third boss.

On the second replay, it takes me 6 minutes to beat the second boss but the entire replay only lasts a total of 8 minutes (because I die stupidly and quickly in the third stage).

Which replay would win in K6? I would think the first one should win (completed the second stage quicker) but from the wording above it sounds like the second one would win because the total time to the last death is shorter.
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

dbh wrote:Which replay would win in K6? I would think the first one should win (completed the second stage quicker) but from the wording above it sounds like the second one would win because the total time to the last death is shorter.
I agree. Timing should probably stop on whenever the boss of whatever the last stage is killed, since it should only be counting completed stages. But then, where does timing stop? When the boss is killed? When the key is picked up?

Well, I know I've already built up a reputation of complaining about every game so I may as well live up to that. I HATE THIS GAME. Why is it regarded as such a classic by some people? In my opinion, everything about this game was done better in the sequel, Ghouls 'n Ghosts - the difficulty balance is a lot better, you can fire vertically, and most importantly the control isn't frustratingly horrible. Oh how I wish we were playing that instead... but alas. It blows my mind that Francois and Udirnel want to compete on this just for the heck of it. You guys are masochists.

Anyway, here is a recording that reaches Loop 1, Area 6. I don't have a clue how to time this so have fun with that, coordinators!
Attachments
bbh_gng_1-6_wolf106.zip
(28.7 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

BBH wrote: I HATE THIS GAME. Why is it regarded as such a classic by some people? In my opinion, everything about this game was done better in the sequel, Ghouls 'n Ghosts - the difficulty balance is a lot better, you can fire vertically, and most importantly the control isn't frustratingly horrible.
I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree.

gng is not playable. Not difficult game: but not playable. Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a difficult game, but playable!

The control in gng are awful, there are 500.000 bugs, all random, I think that entire universe hate this game.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

A junk submission. Not junk from lack of effort, but lack of skill. Reached stage 4 boss (of cuurse if I'd used the stupid bug to skip the boss I would have had stage 5. Next time, no pride).

I think I hate this game most of all.

Cheers,
George
Attachments
gng_4-boss.zip
(30.85 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
RJM
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by RJM »

Never thought I'd say this but I'm glad I got knocked out in the last round. I don't mind the game but couldn't play it to save my life. My pathetic submissions would just be embarassing.

Cheers

Rob
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

I'm now timing to when the last boss was defeated.

Meanwhile, I'm swearing that everybody is going to turn to the dark side when this tournament is over. :)
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

ok, the game lacks control comfort for sure, but you have to admit that with out points is really the best way to play the game. i'm having a good deal of fun watching the speed attempts, much more entertaining than point scraping! though am glad i don't have to judge the timing :)
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

gameboy9 wrote: Meanwhile, I'm swearing that everybody is going to turn to the dark side when this tournament is over. :)
Good, I can feel your anger. I am unarmed. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete.
GHEMANT
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by GHEMANT »

stage 4
Attachments
gem_gng_stage4.zip
(22.53 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

dbh wrote:
The clock will start when you gain control of your character, and the clock will stop when you lose your last life, or when you defeat the final boss in the 2nd loop.
I think I see a flaw in this description, best displayed by an example: Suppose I have two replays, both of which I get past the second stage bosses but die during the third stage.

On one replay, I finish off the second boss in 5 minutes and the entire replay lasts 10 minutes total but fails to kill the third boss.

On the second replay, it takes me 6 minutes to beat the second boss but the entire replay only lasts a total of 8 minutes (because I die stupidly and quickly in the third stage).

Which replay would win in K6? I would think the first one should win (completed the second stage quicker) but from the wording above it sounds like the second one would win because the total time to the last death is shorter.
Right ! Time must be calculate till the last stage completed (or at the end of 2nd loop)
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Hmmm... I think we've given you an extra day to play this game... I thought this round would end on the 29th...

We've made our bed though.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net