http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

MAME KNOCKOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS 6

Post by Marco Marocco »

KNOCK OUT 6TH EDITION

MarcoMarocco, GameBoy9 and Sawys proudly announce the 6th edition of the MAME Knockout Championships (the real MAME World‘s Championship).
We've made some changes in the format and we hope to involve a great number of players !
Prizemoney : 350 € bonus for the winner, 155€ for others results [5€ for high score for every game from the beginning to the final (45€ total);
10€ for high score in the 1st stage. (3 games combined) (25€ total for stage 1, 5€*3 for the games above, plus 10€ for the high LB score); 25€ for reaching the "round of 4" (50€ total); 50€ for 2nd place; 350€ for 1st place] offered by Marco Marocco and payable not later than 28th February 2008.
Who doesn't like the prize money can donate it to MARP !
The Knock Out 6th edition will start at 21th of September, h. 00.00 GMT.

General guidelines for submission:

- In order to enter K6, it is sufficient to send your inps to MARP with the subscription ”K6” after the start of the championship; in every case, we will open a topic on the forum entitled “K6 list of players”, in which every player can announce (not forced, but pleasant) his partecipation, showing the country that s/he comes from.

-For this tournament, we will only accept WolfMAME Plus 0.106. Other versions of WolfMAME will be permitted and indicated by the Coordinators only in the event that a game is discovered to have severe emulation/playback problems.

-When submitting, please be sure to include the .wlf file along with the .inp.

-It is strongly encouraged to use the game's shortname as the filename when you submit your .inp/.wlf file. Long filenames can be a hassle for confirmers.

-As is the case with regular MARP rules, only one credit is allowed. No continuing, and no starting a 2nd game after your 1st credit.

-Recordings must be submitted within 48 hours of creation, except for the last day of competition on a round, anything submitted on the last day must be uploadedwithin 24 hours of playing.

-Unless otherwise noted, all games are to be played on the default settings. If you're not sure your settings are default, delete the game's corresponding .cfg file from the cfg directory. Although they are usually accepted at MARP, recordings on "harder" settings will not be permitted for this tournament. If the game uses a bios file, please make sure that it too is set to "default", playing on a different bios can lead to playback problemsand sometimes results in changes to gameplay as well.

-Final time before which a recording must be submitted to MARP is 23:59 GMT on the corresponding day. If MARP is down for an extended period of time, we will accept submissions via forum attachments on the thread for that week's game. Please do not submit recordings to the forum if MARP is not down.

-There is no limit to the number of times you may submit on a game, as long as your new recording is a higher score than the previous recording. Regular uploading of scores is strongly encouraged since it makes for more interesting competition.

-Average recorded speed must be 95% or higher. Use frameskip if you must.

-If none of the three tournament coordinators can play back your recording, then your score will not be accepted. To help ensure that your recordings will work,please make sure that you delete/disable your nvram directory, and in the case of Neo-Geo games, delete/disable your memcard directory as well.

THE FORMAT

1ST STAGE: MASSIVE ELIMINATION ROUND
We decided to remove the qualifying round, it was only helpful to know the number of players.
The championship begins with one elimination round who goes on for three weeks, one game for each week (7 days with a 24-hours period separating each week). The games will be announced week by week.
Players do not necessarily have to enter te championship on the first week, it’s possible to join the championships also from 2nd or 3rd week (of course having few chances to go on !).
For each week there will be a classification, with the following point system: 70 pts for 1st place, 60 pts for second place, 55 for third place, 50 for fourth place then one point less for following positions till reaching one point (53 th place).
Top 36 move on, the seeding for next phase will be determined making the addition, for each players, of the scores got in each week.
In case of tie will pass the turn the player who has higher position in the tree weeks (exemple: 2 players have 80 pts; one has got two times 3rd position, the other has got one time 1st position then other lower positions. The second player, who has 1st position, pass the turn).

2ND STAGE: ONE ON ONE (36 PLAYERS)

Top 18 against players will be seeded according to the results in the first three rounds. The rest will be seeded randomly. Winner moves on, loser goes home!

3RD STAGE: ELITE ELIMINATION ROUND (18 players)

One week to reduce the number of the players to 12: top 4 get a bye and, therefore, a week rest for stage 4.

4TH STAGE: ONE ON ONE FOR PLAYERS FROM 5TH PLACE TO 12TH PLACE (8 PLAYERS)
Matchups will be 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9, winner moves on, loser goes home from this point forward.

5TH STAGE (QUARTER FINAL) 8 PLAYERS

6 TH STAGE (HALF FINAL) 4 PLAYERS

7 TH STAGE: FINAL 2 PLAYERS
Last edited by Marco Marocco on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Prize money, great.

IMO 1st stage elimination should be different. 36 players advancing is way too much. How do you know there even will be 36 players? That kinda makes 3 weeks of playing with no real threat of elimination...that's not good for seedings either, players will not try their best on stage 1.

I suggest:
- 1st stage elimination cuts the number of players to 18(hopefully there are more than that active participants)

-drop 2nd stage elimination completely, start from stage 1 and then skip to stage 3 with 18 players.
-----

Edit: Well, it looks like there will be enough players. :)
Last edited by The TJT on Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: MAME KNOCKOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS 6

Post by destructor »

Marco Marocco wrote:Winner moves on, loser goes home!
Yes, I love it in KO :D
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

some of the rules at the beginning look awfully familiar :D
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

BBH wrote:some of the rules at the beginning look awfully familiar :D
you know it, eh ? :lol:
RAX
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by RAX »

During K5 (and with other games too) I experienced problems using Wolf106 on Windows98 platform, some kind of memory allocation failure launching the program, in fact most of my inps were made with Wolf101.
Now it's not a problem for me anymore, because I've got a second PC with WinXP, but I wonder if there is a known problem with old systems that has risen between version 101 and 106.
I think people with Windows98 systems should try to play some random games with Wolf106 in these days to see if they experience problems too.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Windows 9x/Me is largely an unsupported platform as far as MAME is concerned. It may or may not work. Although, I'd probably blame the OS first. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

I done a lot of playtesting on K5 on Win98. The only one does works on Wolf106 is using CLI instead of GUI. Most of the games will work on CLI better, but not all of it. GUI does random crashes, but I can't guarantee it will work in some games.

My suggestion is you guys to inform K6 coordinators if you are using Win98 or ME and they *should* give you the alternative WolfMame to use. Wolf101 is preferable and it is up to them to decide which alternative WolfMame is available.

BTW, I don't see the rules about minimum CPU's requirement to play K6. Good Luck K6 coordinators... I give you guys another * sigh *. :lol:

NotMan
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

"Other versions of WolfMAME will be permitted and indicated by the Coordinators only in the event that a game is discovered to have severe emulation/playback problems"
We can add: "other versions of WolfMame will be permitted and indicated by the Coordinators also when WolfMAME 106 doesn't work properly wth your p.c."
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Interesting if rotaxmame guys will play in KO :roll:
Marco Marocco
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by Marco Marocco »

destructor wrote:Interesting if rotaxmame guys will play in KO :roll:
Is any member of Rotaxmame a marper :?:
zarouk
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by zarouk »

hi,

do you think it will be possible to use Wolf 0.118 ?

I've update recently all my set to 0.118 and i think 0.106 is too old ( 15 may 2006 !!!! )

Hope it will be possible.
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

Marco Marocco wrote:
destructor wrote:Interesting if rotaxmame guys will play in KO :roll:
Is any member of Rotaxmame a marper :?:
Sure: Destructor, Kaiser, Mahlemiut, NotMan, Metrackle, Adder, myself... Ok, most of those are MARPers that are members of Rotaxmame as opposed to the other way around. I'll ask Adder to post an announcement for the KO on Rotaxmame in Czech and we'll see if we get any crossover.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

zarouk wrote:hi,

do you think it will be possible to use Wolf 0.118 ?

I've update recently all my set to 0.118 and i think 0.106 is too old ( 15 may 2006 !!!! )

Hope it will be possible.
ewww...why would you delete the older ones? just burn to CD(s).
given most sets are same...only the discontinued/changed ones would need that backup.

0.118 is 2-3 times slower for many games than 106 is...at least that is how I see it on my system....test something like pacman to see.

106 I can run that at 650%...on 116(likely same for 118), I only get 250%.

2.5 times slower...
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I only get about about 10-20% drop in Dungeon Magic (Taito-F3) from 0.106 to 0.118. And using Direct3D is faster than DirectDraw.

With Pac-man, it drops about 50%, but DirectDraw is faster than Direct3D. Not that there's much difference between 550% and 610%.

And it's common knowledge that MAME gets slower as it focuses more on more powerful hardware.

...and why does MAME try to access a DNS server when using DirectDraw, anyway?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer