http://sawys.ifrance.com/K7.htm

Moderator: Knockout Coordinators

BBH
Editor

K5 Round 3 - I, Robot (Elimination)

Post by BBH »

Game - I, Robot (irobot)
Target Score - Top 16 move on to the next round
Duration of Round - September 17th 2006 00:00 GMT - September 23rd 2006 23:59 GMT

Here it is, the final elimination round. This isn't going to be easy since 1/3 of the remaining players are going to be cut.... and to make things worse, this isn't an easy game. This Golden Age game was the first to use polygon graphics, and combines elements of maze games, platformers, and shoot-em-ups all into one. We've already smashed the Japanese world record multiple times on one game, and watched a mutant puzzle freak finish a difficult puzzle game, so I can't wait to see what you guys do on this one!

There is a pretty good website with more information about the game here:

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/irobot/anderson/

NOTE: On the first and third levels, there is a transporter that can be used to warp up to Level 5, this is allowed. However, there's a trick that allows the player to start at Level 10 and get an even bigger point bonus. We have decided that for tournament purposes use of this trick to start on much higher levels will NOT be allowed. So to summarize: warping to levels 2-5 = ok, warping to level 6-10 = no. (on a somewhat related note, the current MARP high scores were done with a version of MAME with rather screwy emulation, as it allowed warps up to a much, much higher level with a much, much higher bonus. Those recordings should probably be DQ'ed, huh?)

NOTE #2: Because of apparent emulation changes in the game in 0.97u3, we will not allow wolf71 recordings for this game. If you are having speed issues with the game in wolf106, use wolf101 instead as it's much faster and nobody who's left in the tournament should have speed problems with it, I think.

Good luck to everyone!

SCOREBOARD:

Code: Select all

01. destructor@HotTeam.pl     159,639
02. saru3000                  157,290
03. Nanni                     148,934
04. Phil Lamat                148,481
05. RAX@AIVA                  148,445
06. The Pro                   145,618
07. zylquin                   139,620
08. TRB_MetroidTeam           138,592
09. Jason Dyer                137,041
10. JYD@jvrm.net              135,842
11. gastrainga                133,414
12. pat33999                  131,221
13. sikraiken                 130,890
14. BDFil                     130,261
15. mahlemiut                 119,085
16. Abbe                      109,332
-----------------------------------
17. Gerhard Schindler          98,148
18. Metrackle                  91,746
19. IB_Angelo__              No Score
19. LeClaqueurFou@jvrm. net  No Score
19. MORENO@TeamBrazil        No Score
19. Sampras@AIVA             No Score
19. TJT                      No Score, but some rad Doodle City patterns
19. Udirnel                  119,505 (DQ'ed for .cfg file problem)
Last edited by BBH on Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Two sample junk replays.

77,939 No warp, View change allowed, and Wolf 101.

87,230 Warp to level 2, NO view change, and Wolf 106.

So enjoy... :)

NotMan
Attachments
irobot2.zip
(97.26 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

A great choice! :D
And Atari!!!
Always wanted to learn this game.
(on a somewhat related note, the current MARP high scores were done with a version of MAME with rather screwy emulation, as it allowed warps up to a much, much higher level with a much, much higher bonus. Those recordings should probably be DQ'ed, huh?)
Sounds like they could be zeroed, based on wrong emulation. Let's play the game some first and come back to subject when we know more.
On the first and third levels, there is a transporter that can be used to warp up to Level 5, this is allowed. However, there's a trick that allows the player to start at Level 10 and get an even bigger point bonus. We have decided that for tournament purposes use of this trick to start on much higher levels will NOT be allowed.
Why?
We might be tempted to make special rules for this game accordingly, especially if old MARP scores will be DQ'd.

TG record is 1 383 959, assumably with warping.
"factory default settings"
Demonstration Mode: On
Difficulty: Medium
Minimum Game Time: 3 Lives
Lives: 3
Bonus Life: 20,000

P.S. Anyone know what kind of hall effect joystick this game has, and is it easier to play with analog joystick or just hotrod/keyboard?
What does button 2 do?
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Quote:
On the first and third levels, there is a transporter that can be used to warp up to Level 5, this is allowed. However, there's a trick that allows the player to start at Level 10 and get an even bigger point bonus. We have decided that for tournament purposes use of this trick to start on much higher levels will NOT be allowed.

Why?
We might be tempted to make special rules for this game accordingly, especially if old MARP scores will be DQ'd.
Warping to level 10 with the secret warp trick in beginning to get 100k bonus and it can lead to very short game, IMHO. We want the game to be fair as a tourney mode to start less than level 5 with warp or no warp at all. You can gain more points without using warp. You're welcome to use the secret warp trick AFTER the K5 tourney is OVER as a MAME default setting. It is up to TJT to regulate I,Robot special rules after the tourney is over.

Looking at the older replays of I,Robot:

1. Emulation was screwed back then, wrong dip switch, mathbox wasn't properly emulated back then.

2. Warping up to Level 78 (I think) in the beginning to get a ridiculous high score in a short time wasn't a fair game. It should be zero if the other three players wish to remove it and start all over, again. IMHO.

TJT wrote:
P.S. Anyone know what kind of hall effect joystick this game has, and is it easier to play with analog joystick or just hotrod/keyboard?
What does button 2 do?
Hall effect joystick is a slighty loose joystick controls than analog joystick. Roadrunner use the Hall effect joystick, if you remember how to play that game back then, TJT. The second button is probably either one of left/right fire button. The original cab has two buttons on side. (One on left and One on the right).

NotMan knows this game, very well. At least I didn't hear TJT start bitching again! :P

Later,

NotMan
The_Pro
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by The_Pro »

Anyone know a MAME version where save states work for this game? Wolf101 doesn't work and wolf78 produces weird results.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Try 0.108, and if that still doesn't work, you'll have to add save state support yourself.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

The TJT wrote:A great choice! :D
And Atari!!!
Always wanted to learn this game.
glad you're happy this time. :) (although I should mention that your comments on the previous rounds had no bearing on the decision to use this game, of course)
Why?
Well, the reason for banning the Level 10 warp was because we were worried it would have too much of a negative effect on the competition, that it would force EVERYONE to start on Level 10 if they wanted to have a chance at competing, just for the 100k bonus. Without warping, it seems to be very difficult (maybe impossible? I'm no expert at this) to reach 100k by the time you get to level 10. While this would make for shorter recordings (and certainly make it easier for us coordinators to confirm the recordings, haha), it just makes things a little too imbalanced. Plus the whole having to hold both buttons when you enter a transporter sort of implies that it's a code...

For regular MARP purposes I think the Level 10 warp should be allowed... just not for this tournament.

TG record is 1 383 959, assumably with warping.
"factory default settings"
Demonstration Mode: On
Difficulty: Medium
Minimum Game Time: 3 Lives
Lives: 3
Bonus Life: 20,000
Since the game allows warping to a higher level based on how far people have gotten on the machine since it's been turned on (like Tempest), it's very possible the record was done with a warp. Supposedly the game has 99 levels, but I don't know what happens at the end... back to level 1?
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

just a heads up, I'm probably not going to have much of a chance to confirm recordings/update the scoreboard right now, having a big problem with my hard drive right now and I'm afraid it may be going bad. NotMan and MJS, continue confirming as usual and email me if there's any problems with any of the submissions.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

No comment about this game. How is possible to play on it?
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

One last sample junk replay then you're on your own! :)

Wolf106

112,653 Level 11.

OK! Mahlemiut, here the right ways to beat the Spike Head spitting spikes. :P

NotMan
Attachments
IROBOT4.ZIP
(48.51 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

Is there any way to switch to an overhead view and keep it there? I keep losing on Level 10 because I can't see the level, and pressing start doesn't help.
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

Never mind, I figured out that you have to shoot the columns to expose the level.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

The TJT wrote:P.S. Anyone know what kind of hall effect joystick this game has, and is it easier to play with analog joystick or just hotrod/keyboard?
What does button 2 do?
Yesterday I played on keyboard, today on Ultimarc U360 joystick in analog mode. There is almost no difference, maybe one small only(but not for sure). On analog joystick is easier to enter to crossed paths and is easier to move robot by 1 (one) square.

Button 2 is for nothing (I think).

I'm inetersting how hall joystick works. The same as analog?
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Des, I tried using analog joypad...actually a hacked SW yoke. I found Hotrod joystick to be better. Assumably, if your robot can move slower of faster depending how "far" you point the joystick...Then analog would be more appropriate for moving one square distances, as you said. Moving square distances is quite important imo. Then again, minus would be possible lag in the movement with analog stick, which I have experienced sometimes using mame and PC.

Now a noobie question: Can you go through teleporter without entering warp selection?

I can see why this game bombed in the sales. It's too hard for the beginner and maybe even too innovative. Hard to get in to the game and what's it all about...the enemies.
However, I feel this game is the stuff the stars are made of (nebulae). I'm starting to like this game more and more now that I've grasped the very basic stuff. One of those games that gets better and better when your skills improve.
saru3000
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by saru3000 »

pat33999 wrote:Is there any way to switch to an overhead view and keep it there? I keep losing on Level 10 because I can't see the level, and pressing start doesn't help.
The 2nd player start button raises the camera.
The TJT wrote:I'm starting to like this game more and more now that I've grasped the very basic stuff. One of those games that gets better and better when your skills improve.
Same here but I can see the game getting very frustrating on later levels.