Games not working...

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Koza
Button Masher
Button Masher

Games not working...

Post by Koza »

Ok guys... this is very important... I need these games working for a presentation i'm preparing (the reason I have no time to play Knockout 5).

The games are:
- Space Harrier
- Gauntlet

I need to know what files are required for those games to work... I downloaded maaaany files off various sites, but still these games don't work... ;(

I need Help :(
Last edited by Koza on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Here you get latest rominfos:
http://www.mameworld.net/maws/

Also, if you're using wolfmame GUI, you can rightclick gamename and select "audit"...which tells you if your roms are ok and what files are missing for that MAME version.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

One more thought, at marpirc someone sure has the roms you want.
I tried myself to download centiped.zip still was missing one rom from the zip.
For Defender romset didn't work either, I was missing decoder.2 and decoder.3...had them at previously downloaded romset though. XP search looks inside zipfiles too, which is useful for "rom cooking".
Koza
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Koza »

Yeah... but where to get these files from? Like I said, I downloaded many rom files... don't know where to get the good ones ;(
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

marpirc?

I myself can't find centipede, but did send you PM that might help tracking atleast defender roms.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Found centiped rev.3 working roms too, check your MARP private messages.
No guarantee for other roms, didn't look for them since I don't own legal rights :)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Koza wrote:Yeah... but where to get these files from? Like I said, I downloaded many rom files... don't know where to get the good ones ;(
Please read the forum rules. You are not allowed to ask where to get roms.

Sorry you are having difficulties. As said, you can right-click on the rom in the GUI list and select "audit" and it will tell you if it passes or fails.

the problem is rom sets change from one version to the next etc. Odds are wherever you got what you have...is for a different mame version versus what you are using.

What version of mame are you using? cuz most likely any games you find are normally for the latest versions...although some sites haven't been updated for a long time...might be for very old versions.

I can't anything more on it. sorry.
Koza
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Koza »

LN2 wrote:
Koza wrote:Yeah... but where to get these files from? Like I said, I downloaded many rom files... don't know where to get the good ones ;(
Please read the forum rules. You are not allowed to ask where to get roms.

Sorry you are having difficulties. As said, you can right-click on the rom in the GUI list and select "audit" and it will tell you if it passes or fails.

the problem is rom sets change from one version to the next etc. Odds are wherever you got what you have...is for a different mame version versus what you are using.

What version of mame are you using? cuz most likely any games you find are normally for the latest versions...although some sites haven't been updated for a long time...might be for very old versions.

I can't anything more on it. sorry.
I'm not asking for roms and I know the forum's rules - it's just my cry of desperation ;( :twisted:

I'm using Wolfmame Plus! 0.106... thanks for your help TJT... ;*

EDIT: Yay! I finally found all the rom files! Thanks for your effort guys... i'm having a presentation on the history of arcade video games on sunday and I needed these files :)
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

The TJT wrote:Found centiped rev.3 working roms too, check your MARP private messages.
No guarantee for other roms, didn't look for them since I don't own legal rights :)
I own legal rights to Gauntlet ;-) (Thanks to starroms). But unfortunately, the rights do not allow me to share the files.

Kranser.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Koza wrote:I'm not asking for roms and I know the forum's rules - it's just my cry of desperation ;( :twisted:
Koza wrote:Yeah... but where to get these files from?
oh, ok. I guess I somehow misread the above line into thinking you were asking "where to get these files from". my bad. :P

my library needs some serious work though...only about 1000.
Last edited by LN2 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koza
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Koza »

It was a retorical question... ;)

I didn't mean the whle zipped rom files... I was only wondering if there is any method of obtaining single files from the zipped archives...

The main purpose of this topic was to find out WHICH zipped roms are required to run these games... ah fuck it... i'm not in the mood...
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

What is so historical in Space Harrier then?

Not the first 3d analog joystick flying game...For example Atari's Star Wars was more early(and the best, and vector, and Movie)...Maybe Star Fire would be the first?
Don't forget vector games...battlezone etc.
Also remember Laserdisc game boom, Dragon's Lair etc.

Gauntlet can be seen as a 2d grandfather to all 3D first person shooters. Although, Xybots might be first 3DFPS? ...There must be even more early ones though...Umh, Mattel Intellivision Treasure of Tarmin was 3D, wonder what the year was...

Space Wars, Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man, Donkey Kong
Namco, Atari, Williams, Sega, neo fricking geo and simulator/amusement park crap...
Game&Watch, Atari2600, Vic 20, Commodore 64, Vextrex, Mattel, Coleco, Amiga, Snes, PC, modern consoles, death of arcade...
Koza
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Koza »

Space Harrier for the speed and for stereo sound... it is historical in some way... it established games into three-dimensionality and more powerful hardware.

Star Wars is also in presentation ;)

I think Gauntlet is worth mentioning too... it had 4-player gameplay and good graphics...
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Ah ok, I heard that Peter Packrat was first one with digitized stereo sound, could be wrong there.
It's a bit hard to say which game is historical or not...gameplay, software, hardware, popularity etc.

Good luck, don't forget to mention MAME in the end! :)
welby1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by welby1 »

Sent you a link to all you want in pm.