Mame versions...

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Mame versions...

Post by Caseh »

Does anyone have some sort of preference towards particular versions of wolfmame or something? It's just that I came across Morenos latest high score on Marvel Super Heroes that was recorded with mame61..., why mame61 exactly!?!? I ask this mainly because Wolfmame 106 is available, so why record with such an old version of mame? mabye to stop people who are new to mame and used to win32 version from being able to play it back? Don't get me wrong, Moreno is a highly impressive player and I have watched a lot of his inps in the past so no disrespect is intended!

Also on this note BBH recorded a Cabal highscore wolfmame 101, is there a reason behind this or is this simply the version u was using when you decided to hit record and play?

I myself have dropped to earlier versions of mame where the game is more stable, for me that game is Burning Rival which seems to crash on the latest versions of mame. Anyone else have some sort of special preference to the version of wolf/tgmame that they like to use?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Mame versions...

Post by Weehawk »

Caseh wrote:Also on this note BBH recorded a Cabal highscore wolfmame 101, is there a reason behind this or is this simply the version u was using when you decided to hit record and play?
http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7366
John Cunningham (JTC)
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

wolfmame 0.101 is the current adopted version for Twin Galaxies...so often gamers will have a score for TG that they also submit to MARP to share with the public.

I think for some they got mame 2-3 years ago as a CD set with all the roms etc. also for that version so they just keep playing that.

what is most suspect to me is where here you see the same gamer submit scores with 0.61 one day, then 0.56, then 0.78 etc. like they are using a specific version for a specific game to perhaps gain an edge.

otherwise...why would you submit scores using 4 different version of mame on the same day( I have seen this.)?
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

LN2 wrote:otherwise...why would you submit scores using 4 different version of mame on the same day( I have seen this.)?
Because it performs better on older versions, perhaps? MAME is always getting slower, after all.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

otherwise...why would you submit scores using 4 different version of mame on the same day( I have seen this.)?
The only real reason I can think of is default settings are different mabye or in some cases the game might perform better. But then a game like marvel super heroes is not that demanding to be honest, unless you have a pII 233Mhz in which case mabye you need to upgrade :roll:

The wolfmame 101 makes sense now though, thanks.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

mahlemiut wrote:
LN2 wrote:otherwise...why would you submit scores using 4 different version of mame on the same day( I have seen this.)?
Because it performs better on older versions, perhaps? MAME is always getting slower, after all.
Also, analog sensitivity settings change between versions. Sometimes it's a bit of a pain to find good settings again.

Inp is bigger at some versions, harddisk activity can cause irritating slowdowns at some games, when using later versions. Especially if you are playing the game with mouse, crosshair can appear after harddisk writing at completely different position you'd expect. Similar thing happens if your antivirus application accesses net while playing, better lock net access before important recording, although it's almost never I remember to do that.

Mame61 should be a big nono thoughthough.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

yes, I get that for using an older version like 0.61 for some games.

but I remember a couple users who would submit here and have 5-10 different versions they played games with and submitted the scores in the same day.

Many thought them suspect and just wondered if the inps were all that gamer's play or taken from others.

talking games that really no performance difference between one version and the next yet a different version was used.

perhaps their rom set was a hodgepodge of various versions.

that justifies having a couple different versions...but several? most that have several have them for verification/refereeing. We don't actually play using all of those versions.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

In this moment I have on HD 11 wolfmame and 1 alphamame versions - use them all, and 3 other MAME version for playback only.
Usually I have more. Why I have only 15 versions? Hm... :D

Why I use 12 version for recording? Because one game better work in one version, second in next. What better work? Better sound or better FS or more corrected graphic or mouse works better ...
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

I myself have never found a game that runs better in one version over another. Mabye if the game was pretty processor heavy, with games running on Namco hardware like Tekken. Other than that, games like Bubble Bobble and Shinobi run fine on my xp64 3200 regardless of the version im using... :P

That whole thing about finding the right analogue settings after you switch to another version of mame is so true though! :lol:

I have quite a few versions, but they are just for playback. I never record with them.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I can see those that have older systems and slower CPUs using older versions which are much faster than modern versions for games that otherwise would play slowly on their system, but in most cases the games play the same for the last tons of versions.

I guess I need to get more specific. I forget who it was...but in 1 day they submitted inps using versions such as 0.53, 0.55, 0.57, 0.61, alpha 0.69, wolf 0.78, mame 0.37.

these are not likely the exact versions they used...but it is roughly right.

There is no mixture of games a gamer can be playing that would require using all those different versions for playing in the same day.

ok, did they have 2+ years of recordings elsewhere and then suddenly decided to upload them all to MARP? maybe... It's about the only thing that really makes sense given the games that were used.

destructor, I see no reason to play with 12 versions. I can see with a slower cpu maybe using 3 versions....then for specific games using another 2-3 versions.

unless you are talking about games no longer supported in the same manner by current mame versions that you like to play.

I wish they would get the turbo pac type games supported again already.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Caseh wrote:Shinobi
Do you hear sound in Shinobi? Totally different in differet MAME versions ;)
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

destructor wrote:
Caseh wrote:Shinobi
Do you hear sound in Shinobi? Totally different in differet MAME versions ;)
And the sound in this series is excellent... yeah!
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

Do you hear sound in Shinobi? Totally different in differet MAME versions
Well, I never really noticed but I have the original Shinobi arcade PCB for the original authentic sound. :)