Steering Wheel Use for PC

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

mcneilsassassin
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Steering Wheel Use for PC

Post by mcneilsassassin »

In MAME games such as Pole Position and Turbo does anyone use a steering wheel to play these games on their PC? I am use to the arcade models and just cannot get use to using the control keys to steer a car. I need to know if there is something available that is USB compatible. I tried the Universal Rumble Wheel by Go Pro and it was useless. Is there such a component that will do what I am asking? I will be grateful for anyones assistance. I am using a Compaq Presario 1720 US laptop with Windows XP and run MAME versions .61 and .90. Thanks.
Live long and prosper. Deuteronomy 29:9.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I have in plans steering wheel but not now. On BYOAC forum I see that people talk about steering wheels for PC with MAME (for cabinets but I think is possible to use them wihout cabinets too). Try to serach information there.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php
A few months ago I test standard steering wheel from Media Markt, never buy these standard PC wheels :)
jbd41
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by jbd41 »

Just a word of warning since you mentioned that game: the Pole Position wheel was able to turn 360 degrees, while most (all?) modern computer wheels have limits as to how far they can turn.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

jdb41 wrote:Just a word of warning since you mentioned that game: the Pole Position wheel was able to turn 360 degrees
... or more correctly was able to spin indefinitely. I expect he's familiar with this given his initial comments. It would certainly be nice to be able to play Pole Position again as the manufacturer originally intended as well as the Sprint games.... :)

Cheers,
BeeJay.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Pole works fairly okay with a spinner too.
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

I have new Sanwa catalogue. And they sell interesting Steering Wheel with pedal and two sticks.
Direct link:
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7859/sanwaswmi7.jpg
But no info about it in english language. All in japanese. Can someone translate what is writen on this picture?