Streets of Rage 2 - Score System

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Streets of Rage 2 - Score System

Post by Caseh »

First time i've ever done this so here goes.

Personally I think the in game scoring in this game is crap, players are rewarded more points for just throwing opponents instead of punching them in the face which is just wrong in my book.

Throwing is easily done and doesnt require much skill, its done by simply dropping in with an attack and launching the opponent or if you play the game enough you understand how to coax an opponent into walking straight into a throw.

This makes for some seriously tedious gameplay. My own replay reaches very near the end of level 7, pats replay around halfway through level six yet it is 60,000 pts higher. I mentioned the crappy tactics I had to use to get my score when I posted my replay several months ago.

Anyway, enough with the rant. I propose the scoring is based K.O.s instead of ingame scoring. K.O. scoring is provided when the game ends within the highscore table. So scoring is based on progress and not how much that particular character is awarded for using throws.

The poll will run for 14 days, yap yap yap your opinions please :)

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... xlines=999
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Caseh, I deleted the poll, since we should allways have conversation before voting. If there's need and/or demand for the poll after the discussion, then regulation coordinator posts the poll. Thanks.

For the record, options were:
a. Ingame scoring system
b. KO System

Would be nice to hear other player's opinions on the scoring system.
Last edited by The TJT on Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

ahh ok, no problem :)
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

It takes more skill to throw than it does to stand there tapping the button for an auto-combo, especially when using Max. He's slow, making it very difficult to avoid hits, especially when fighting the bosses.

Its a risk/reward situation. I could power my way through the game using the double tap special moves, or do things the slower, harder way, risking extra hits while throwing.

Considering how much more damage you take by doing it the hard way, I think the scoring system is fine. If anybody thinks its easy to throw your way through the game using Max, I suggest they try it. Its much harder than it looks.
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

Sorry if it seems like im attacking you Pat, but just so you know I'm not :)

If you have been playing the game as long as I have Pat, you know which enemies you take a risk of taking a hit from when walking or jumping into them. ;) So I wouldn't really class it as skill, more like knowledge. :P

Its just that I would love to see someone complete the game and make me a happy bunny, not find a characters move that scores highly and use it just to gain a higher score and not even get near the end.

I personnaly think the game is impossible to complete, the lift on level 7 will take at least one life if you have any left by that point. On level eight, if you manage to survive the elevator there, you face shiva...hahaha not even going there :D
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

OK, i've just literally walked through a stage and thrown everyone with Max and found a really dodgy bug mabye?

When you jump and throw with max, if you keep tapping punch button 600-700 points just magically appear in your score. This doesn't happen with any other character just Max.

The replay attached is how many points max should get without using that trick.

I think it was roughly 101000 i got in the replay, i didnt discover that trick until the end of the level so probably lower, Pats first stage score was 130000 8O
Attachments
sor2_max.zip
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Why don't we just ban uppercuts and roundhouse kicks in Double Dragon as well? Why not just say Sega did a poor job of designing the scoring system and leave it at that?
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
pat33999
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by pat33999 »

Yes, I used that points trick to increase the score. You get 200 points for each time you press the attack button, between the time you throw the enemy and the time they hit the ground. I thought it was common knowledge among people who've played the game extensively.

I've been playing SOR2 since the game was released in November 1992, and its one of my favorite games of all time. Knowing that, I'm ashamed that I haven't finished it in MAME yet :oops:

The main problem I have, is that the game randomly crashes back to the desktop almost every time I play as Axel (if it weren't for this, I probably would've finished the game by now, or at least made it to the last level). With Max, it happens less often, making it easier to play a full game. Caseh, your inp always crashes during the first boss fight when I try to watch it. Do you have this kind of problem, or is it just me?

The issue here is the points trick I used. I'm not sure if it should be considered cheating or not. I'll leave that up to to the regulation coordinator to decide.

I guess scoring based on KOs would be alright, but then you still have a situation where somebody could finish the game, and have a lower score than another person who didn't finish the game. Its really no better or worse than the built-in scoring system.
Caseh
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Caseh »

Why don't we just ban uppercuts and roundhouse kicks in Double Dragon as well? Why not just say Sega did a poor job of designing the scoring system and leave it at that?
Double Dragon is easy to complete, if everyone is completing a game then I personnally don't see any problem with players finding ways of making higher scores i.e. Using a single move that scores higher.
I thought it was common knowledge among people who've played the game extensively.
I never really used max when I had it on the megadrive, always axel or blaze and I only played to complete it on mania level not for point.s :)
The main problem I have, is that the game randomly crashes back to the desktop almost every time I play as Axel
Ahh, I thought I was the only person getting that problem. I've had the game crash out on me 2/3s of the time. Thats part of the reason that I stopped trying to complete it. I just looked over my inp though and it plays back fine at this end, I'll start a post under playability and see if anyone else has same problem as you.
I guess scoring based on KOs would be alright, but then you still have a situation where somebody could finish the game, and have a lower score than another person who didn't finish the game. Its really no better or worse than the built-in scoring system.
True, if anyone ever completed the game though mabye you could multiply the final score by 2 mabye?
mmxx
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by mmxx »

999990 Max stores able in SOR2,My friend can touch it,Bu not for MAME,because the hardest level,just reach to the last stage

Do you know SOR3 is also in arcade ,you can choose 7 pepole in the game!Very crazy game,I like it very much!
but no broad now ,I'm sure the game undump by Guru.The board is in my arcade shop,but I can't buy and send it to MAME dump project team
I'm a chinese boy.I just like "NO MISS ALL",but not always the scores