See introduction here

The Game: New York New York

romname: nyny

Screenshot:
(click to see current MARP scores)

Reward: $25 (usd)

Deadline for submission to MARP: June 24, 2005 2359 hours GMT

Further Bounty: none

A simple game, but should prove challenging.

Shows how much score inflation came about in the years that followed.

That spinning thing is the only decent source of points, but dangerous as hell to go for after the first couple of levels.

Use WolfMAME .97

"On Deck" game: Space Dungeon
John Cunningham (JTC)
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Trust Des to go and beat my score when I'm stuck at work and unable to even attempt to answer it - not that there's much chance of me beating it anyway as it happens........ {;-þ)

BJ.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Well done Chad......... perhaps I should just give up on this game now and wait until next weeks game..... :lol:
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

thanks very much, but one thing's for sure, it aint over till it's over. des appears to be holding back in the 15k recording.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:thanks very much, but one thing's for sure, it aint over till it's over. des appears to be holding back in the 15k recording.
True, it's still early, but two pinwheel-thingies on Phase 6 (I guess "Phase" is what the "P" stands for) is pretty tough.
John Cunningham (JTC)
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

..... at least I now have a couple of decent recordings on a newer Mame version to download and watch.... I find it very hard to get those pin-wheel things with enough shots before they go and disappear on me......

Presumably there is some secret to getting them to stay around for longer as they sometimes disappear in very short order when I'm playing/recording?!

BJ.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

BeeJay wrote:Presumably there is some secret to getting them to stay around for longer as they sometimes disappear in very short order when I'm playing/recording?!
Yeah, shooting the last saucer makes them disappear, but I never figured out what else affects their duration.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Oh, yeah, Sunday's bonus points go to Skito.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

Weehawk wrote:but two pinwheel-thingies on Phase 6 (I guess "Phase" is what the "P" stands for) is pretty tough.
Man that was impressive - and nice to have a 4000 point starting pin-wheel bonus by way of a 400 point white formation leader on both of them as well. I still think this game looks like P-07 means game over in short order as those shots really do track sideways and hit you rather too easily.... certainly a large jump in difficulty over P-06 shots.

Cheers,
BJ.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Results:
1st destructor@HotTeam.pl
2nd Skito
3rd Sawys@jvrm.net

Chad gets 2nd plus all 6 bonus points for a total of 13.

An interesting strategy chosen by des. He also shared with me in PM some of the information he observed about how the spinning thing is controlled. Perhaps he would share it with us now.

http://www.gegotw.net/news.html
John Cunningham (JTC)
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

Yes, we can share this info.
PM was:
[PM]
I found when pin-wheel appear and disappear. It's simple. Ufos moves on spiral. Spiral has two points: when any of ufo's touch first point wheel appear, when any of ufo's touch second point wheel disappear.
Look picture:
http://www.gramtech.dt.pl/destructor/nyny.png
When ufo touch black point wheel appear, when touch green point wheel disappear. You must manipulate which ufos shoot first, which next for get more chances to kill wheel.
[/PM]

Best (longest duration and easiest to shoot pin-wheel) spiral is when enemy ships move from left-down (as on first stage) or right-down side and fly simply to right or left to second side of screen. If you watch my inp you can see that I always wait until enemy ships fly out from these places.
And I found next info. On Phase 1 enemy ships appear 8 times and next they speed up, on Phase 2 - 6 times, on phase 3 and next phases enemy ships don't speed up then from phase 3 you can wait for best spiral infinity.

Interesting is word REPLAY1 under statue which appear when you get score 10000. But for what is this word I don't know.
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

destructor wrote:Interesting is word REPLAY1 under statue which appear when you get score 10000. But for what is this word I don't know.
Ooooh I know that one!

It just means the game gives you a free credit. You can play again without paying. Was significant in the arcade, but in MAME, who cares?
John Cunningham (JTC)
Zhorik
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Zhorik »

What's interesting is that the dip switches are set to "No Replays", but the game awards them anyway. Looks like mamedev still has some work to do on the dip switches.

What other games award replays? Speed Coin and Lunar Lander were both mentioned at #marp.
(Moderator's edit: be advised any further discussion on this subject which is not related to GEGOTW will be moved to the General forum)

-gastrainga
destructor
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by destructor »

And one more info. Very important enemy ship - white ship. White ship change color to other if your first bullet don't hit him (sometimes is possible to shot white ship using second bullet, but first bullet must be on screen). When you succesfully hit white ship others ships change colors and give more points.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

the number of bullets doesn't matter, you can hit the white ship with a third bullet, it only matters that your first shot of the round is still on the screen and no other bullets have hit anything, the white ship is still available to be killed. And long duration spirals (pin-wheels) don't only come on certain levels, yes some are very short duration but if you hit the ufos correctly (leving the first ufo and the last ufo) the next round will have a long duration pin-wheel, because they hit the point soonest and leave the point latest. And the other ships don't change once you hit the white ship you just get a big boost in spiral bonus points, 10 times the value of the white ship. interesting you didn't mention this...
-skito