TOURNAMENT 9 - GAME SELECTION+DISCUSSION

Discussion about MARP's Tournaments

Moderator: giro-X

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

Phil Lamat wrote:Bcstry : definitely too slow ; runnning around 70% speed on my stepfather's PC (3.2GHz) ; I'm definitely out with my 1.2GHz
Actually Bcstry appears to be fast enough for a 1ghz, please try phil, your step father's computer must be running something else at the same time. That would mean bcstry is in and punisher is out, if phil can get 100% on 1.2ghz. However i'm a bit affraid about scoring bcstry, the point system looks like a lot of ties might occur?

A few questions for anyone knowlegable about naname and xmcota. (1) naname appears to have 3 splits, the games look similar but the cut scenese are different for the splits, is there any scoring advantage to each split? (2) what is the best clone to use for xmcota?
-skito
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

With Naname, I think the options are practice, normal and hard. Hard is just starting from about stage 5 instead of stage 1, from memory.

With xmcota, avoid any v1.0 or v2.0 (version number is shown on the title screen) v1.0 has over the top combo scoring, v2.0 has a bug that zeroes your score when you do a tech hit. v2.1 and v3.0 seems to have changes in the oppenents' AI, but which one is easier is probably a matter of opinion. v3.0 is probably the one to go for. There seems to be little or no difference (other than language) across different regions.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

xmcota is the clone we'll use then (3.0) and we'll start with normal mode for naname (it's the default options so it's easier to select if you don't know kanji.) Should players be forced to use automatic or manual mode in xmcota, or does it matter?
-skito
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by TRB_MetroidTeam »

Chad wrote:xmcota is the clone we'll use then (3.0) and we'll start with normal mode for naname (it's the default options so it's easier to select if you don't know kanji.) Should players be forced to use automatic or manual mode in xmcota, or does it matter?
Like Mahlemiut said, xmcota or xmcotau are the best (and last) versions to select. Other versions have the problems listed above.
And AUTOMATIC can be allowed/selected, because the game just punish you, like less variatons (fierce, medium, strong) of the special moves and others punishments... and select it don't gain any great advantage.
Valter "TRB" - The Real Battle
Metroid Team, from Brazil
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 world champions
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

And bcstry run at 100% on normal speed, and 300~350 at Full Throttle.
Athlon 1800+, 256+512Mb Ram.
But like Skito said, weird score system :roll:
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Chad wrote:and we'll start with normal mode for naname (it's the default options so it's easier to select if you don't know kanji.)
Which is this "normal" mode? Power Mode, Stage Mode or Tokoton Mode???
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

oh that's puzzloop2 pzloop2j we'll use stage mode (which is the default starting mode), naname the other game is normal mode which is also the default starting mode. In other words, when it prompts you to select a different game, just press the buton (don't move to another selection.) bcstry is a pretty cool game, still haven't been able to get more than 3 points per stage, i think that's not very good for intricate competition, might not allow it just because it won't break ties well, does appear to be fast enough (actually even faster than pzloop2j)
-skito
TRB_MetroidTeam
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

ops... I think I confunded the 2 puzzle games: naname and pzloop2j.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

TRB_MetroidTeam wrote:Like Mahlemiut said, xmcota or xmcotau are the best (and last) versions to select. Other versions have the problems listed above.
And AUTOMATIC can be allowed/selected, because the game just punish you, like less variatons (fierce, medium, strong) of the special moves and others punishments... and select it don't gain any great advantage.
Actually, the Hispanic version is the most recent (by date), but it doesn't work.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Settings for Rip Off:

The MAME default is currently 8 pods to start.

TG's MAME Tournament settings are 16 pods:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx? ... 65&vi=9819

Most of the MARP high scores are 16 pods (including my own).

Robert's Mruczek's bounty on the game, for scoring 20,000 points (which went unclaimed) was for 16 pods.

I suggest we use 16 pods for T9. This game is already a very short one, and using less pods just makes it shorter. The slightly longer game allows more room to differentiate among player skill levels.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

mahlemiut wrote:With Naname, I think the options are practice, normal and hard. Hard is just starting from about stage 5 instead of stage 1, from memory.
And practice mode has only 4 stages ; so even if it's allowed for tourney, that won't be the way to get first place :)

For bcstry, I will try again on my 1.2GHz tonight ; I won't go to see my stepfather before 15 days (travel) to test again on 3.2GHz
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Code: Select all

t9-ripoff : Rip Off
        Default settings
So we are playing 8 pods?

:cry:

Please confirm.

Edit: All the older MARP recordings which say "default" are 16 pods. That was the default back then.
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

viewtopic.php?t=12095

i did tell zwaxy 16 as shown above, but he might have missed that, yes 16 pods was decided.

I wanted to include bcstry but i don't think the game would be suited to a touranment with out an adequate scoring system that's been proven by at least a few recordings competing against each other so we'll go with punisher. btw, i still would like to see some more judging requests! :) just post at the above link or email me to be a cool tournament 9 judge!

as soon as i can figure out how to edit the setting descs, i'll post that t9 is underway, it already is but the settings are not all default.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Code: Select all

't9-ripoff' isn't a MAME short game name

correct the bad stuff and resubmit, or whinge to Zwaxy
Whinge whinge whinge...
John Cunningham (JTC)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

doesn't work with t9-pzloop2j-sm either, checking... at least there isn't a potogold game this time :), but looks like uploading with be postponed a day or so, recordings will still be accepted if they are made April 5th or later.
-skito