*jrpacman-fast

Discussion of playback questions / problems. Any recording where people have playback problems should appear here.

Moderator: Chad

roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

*jrpacman-fast

Post by roncli »

I know since it's starred it's not really important....

But can other people play back my jrpacman-fast recording? I know that with the changes the other pacman roms don't work like they used to... but jrpacman seems to me to not be affected by this change.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... acman-fast$

If other people can play this back, then perhaps it should be looked into possibly unstarring it.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Playbackability isn't why turbo-jrpac is archived.

Since 0.87(or was it even 0.86) was released, ALL of the turbo-pac games have been archived!!! ALL of them!

This is because of the change in rom and game structure in MAME so I think the turbo mode is no longer just a dip switch...but an actual cheat or something along those lines.

It's considered a "hack"-cheat to the rom set to allow turbo.

So MARP decided to view it that way also...and archive them ALL.

TG still accepts them though...as far as I am concerned. If I decide to set scores for these in the future it likely will be for submission to TG...not for MARP.

It's also why I have dropped a lot on the leaderboard...I had the high scores for almost all of the turbo-pac games.

All MARP really needed to do if they were concerned over having the true cheats on is just limit play on those to certain versions.

oh well.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

they were archived because there are now clones of the hacks... although there isn't a clone of the jrpacman hack, perhaps it was archived too quickly... so you can still submit other speedup things (mspacmnf, pacmanf, etc) to marp.
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Jrpac-fast should be unarchived...It's the only fun way to play those oversized mazes. If the "hack" really works still.
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Well, the "speedup hack" in the arcade versions wasn't a dip switch (at least the two machines I saw anyway), so even calling it a dip switch in the first place would be incorrect.

As I understand it, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, and Puck-Man all got shiney new fast ROM sets, and as such mspacman-fast got moved to mspacmnf, etc. The rest of them got a dip switch which incorrectly emulates the speedup hack, and those rightfully got starred.

EXCEPT for Jr. Pac-Man. Its dip switch, at least as far as my eyes can tell, correctly emulate the speedup hack, and thus probably should not be starred.

It really doesn't matter to me... I don't play them for leaderboard points... There was a Jr. Pac-Man machine at the University of Buffalo that had a speedup hack, and having already enjoyed the Ms. Pac-Man machines that were sped up, a lot of quarters ended up in the belly of this one.

Along with Buster Bros. too, that game was so much fun I bought Super Buster Bros. for the SNES. :P

Anyway, the point is, starred or unstarred, the ones I enjoy and do well at are the ones I'm going to try my best to hold on to. As long as MARP allows them to be uploaded, I see no reason not to submit the scores. :) I just happen to think that, since this is playable, it shouldn't be starred.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

ok...so there are new fast rom sets for all those pac games? ....except jrpac?

Ok, so why not transfer the older turbo scores over to the new rom set name then just have some note in the special rules about playbackability...and for versions older than 0.87(or 0.86 or whenever the change came) you need just that version of mame and the rom sets compatible with it.

MARP has done this for many other games whose rom sets have changed and new rom set names etc...so why not for the turbo ones?
tar
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by tar »

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I think this was meant to be done but was never done, pat is usually the one that moves clones, i thought he did do that though.

viewtopic.php?p=29838#29838
-skito
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

ok, so without doing lots of lookups... from that other thread it seems only a few of the speedup dip switch pacman type games had a new rom set come out for it.

In these cases I totally agree with archiving or deleting and moving all the scores over to the new rom set.

However, there are tons of others listed as archived there where there is no "substitute rom set" as noted in that thread.

Why not unarchive them until there is a substitute set?

...or is that info outdated now and with 0.87 they all have sets?!?
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

tar wrote:Image
The scores previously made on mspacman-fast were moved to mspacmnf
The scores previously made on pacman-fast were moved to pacmanf
The scores previously made on puckman-fast were moved to puckmanf

hangly-fast, hangly2-fast, hangly3-fast, joyman-fast, jrpacman-fast, mspacmab-fast, mspacmat-fast, mspacpls-fast, newpuc2-fast, newpuc2b-fast, newpuckx-fast, pacgal-fast, pacheart-fast, pacmod-fast, pacplus-fast, piranha-fast, piranhah-fast, piranhao-fast, puckmana-fast, and puckmod-fast were archived

From roncli's report I would guess that MAMEdev overlooked jrpacman when they removed the speed-up hacks from the above listed games, and will correct this as soon as they become aware of it.

I guess until then it could be unarchived.
John Cunningham (JTC)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Weehawk wrote: From roncli's report I would guess that MAMEdev overlooked jrpacman when they removed the speed-up hacks from the above listed games, and will correct this as soon as they become aware of it.

I guess until then it could be unarchived.
That's the spirit.
negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Re: *jrpacman-fast

Post by negative1 »

roncli wrote:I know since it's starred it's not really important....

But can other people play back my jrpacman-fast recording? I know that with the changes the other pacman roms don't work like they used to... but jrpacman seems to me to not be affected by this change.

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... acman-fast$

If other people can play this back, then perhaps it should be looked into possibly unstarring it.
no sorry, i can't get it to work at all.
i've tried all the versions of wolf87.. but nothing,
it starts up, and then stops right away.

any ideas?

later
negative1
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by negative1 »

looks like i got the replay working..

use wolf088..

watching it now.

later
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

I think the staring was because it was too easy to play with speed-up (for pac-geniouses) this playsback for me ok with w87u1 Visual Studio compiled version.
-skito
Weehawk
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by Weehawk »

Chad wrote:I think the staring was because it was too easy to play with speed-up (for pac-geniouses) this playsback for me ok with w87u1 Visual Studio compiled version.
jrpacman-fast was archived because the speed-up option for the Pac-Man games was removed from MAME. At the time this thread was started in 2004, MAMEdev had overlooked jrpacman and left the option in it.

The oversight was corrected shortly thereafter.
John Cunningham (JTC)