Default settings

Archive of the old message board

Moderator: Chad

BBH

Default settings

Post by BBH »

I just uploaded a recording of Nam-1975... as some of you know, the default settings for Neo-Geo games in MAME are messed up. Most of the games only give you one life, and this can make getting a good recording much tougher. Nam-1975 is no exception, but you do get your bonus lives at 10,000 and 20,000 points (on real default settings you get them at 100,000 and 200,000), plus a bonus life if you destroy a big ship in the last stage. Ordinarily it'd still be fairly tough to go through the game on one credit with less lives like that, but it seems that the game is on the easiest difficulty setting. I had never played it like this, and was both amazed and appalled with the ease it was to get through the game... it was like target practice! Enemies take forever to fire, and when they do fire the bullets are slower. This makes finishing the game really easy, although I did screw up in a couple areas... I need a new pad :)<p>
Anyway, this brings me to my point. I'm pretty sure that in the near future, the dipswitch settings will be correct for Neo-Geo games, and you'll get three lives and play at the default difficulty (which is usually Level 4). But then, why would you want to make a recording on settings that are harder, when you can use 0.34 Beta 1 or 2 or whatever to play through and have a much easier time at getting a higher score? Of course, I'm not saying that getting only one life but an easier difficulty level on all games is easier, but it is in Nam's case.

<p>

Any thoughts on this?

--
lordbbh@aol.com
German Castagnasso

Don't accept by now

Post by German Castagnasso »

In my opinion, we shouldn't accept no more recordings until the dipswitch settings will be correct for Neo-Geo games.

--
German_Castagnsso@rocketmail.com