Hanaho Hotrod SE Controller

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Hanaho Hotrod SE Controller

Post by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin »

I was wondering if anyone here owns a Hanaho Hotrod SE and is able to use it under Windows XP at all [since all I see on the page is drivers and stuff for 9x] and some thoughts and suggestions on getting the most out of it with Mame. [For instance, easy methods to set it up in the GUI, ie. Wolfmame Plus, etc.]

I am VERY heavily contemplating a purchase of one since they dropped the price to $99.95us, which is a WEE bit more affordable, but I wanted to get some feedback first, as I doubt the word refund is going to exactly work out.

Kelly
Just a gaming junkie looking for his next High Score fix.
Buttermaker
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Buttermaker »

I was wondering if anyone here owns a PS/2 keyboard and is able to use it under Windows XP at all and some thoughts and suggestions on getting the most out of it with MAME.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

My HotRod Joystick SE works fine in Windows XP, works well with MAME, the joysticks could be better though; but they work decent enough. Someone said that Supers (the joysticks in the HotRod) suck, and that Ultimates are better. I'd say if you were to buy a HotRod, switch in some Ultimates or Sanwas (if that is possible?).
Blost
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Blost »

Well you don't need drivers for the HotRod so there's no reason why it shouldn't work fine with XP. It does on my Win2K anyway...
Rat
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Rat »

I find that my NAMCO playstation joystick is VERY authentic and durable, you can get a usb 2 psx converter anywhere, look up the Namco on Ebay or similar.

I bought mine new about 3 years ago, but they don't make them anymore. I think you can get PS2 arcade joysticks too, much better price than others :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i'm sure this won't affect anyone but me: but i can't use my hotrod-se with xp because i have a usb keyboard. Linux works with the hotrod and usb kb; win98 works with the hotrod and usb kb; but windows XP doesn't recognize the ps/2 keyboard port with ONLY the hotrod plugged in and a usb keyboard plugged in.

still waiting for that hotrod usb conversion that's been "in the works" for 3 years. that said, i can't say enough about how cool the hotrod is in the OSes it works with.
-skito
ShaperMC
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by ShaperMC »

JoeyL21988 wrote: Someone said that Supers (the joysticks in the HotRod) suck, and that Ultimates are better. I'd say if you were to buy a HotRod, switch in some Ultimates or Sanwas (if that is possible?).
sikraiken: Diden't know you were here! ;D

Yes, this is acutally EXTREAMLY easy to do! If you have ever seen quick disconnects for elcetrical work then you will know how easy it would be to change.

One other thing: Supers & Ultimates = CRAP. Get either Sanwa (have fun locating one, the only place that I know of is Arcade Infinity, but have fun getting them to answer an email. Best bet is ultimarc.com) which feel like the Dreamcast agetec sticks or get a Happs Competition stick.

I can pretty much promise you that it will take no more than 5 min. to change out your arcade stick in one of these once you order it.

-Good luck.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

ShaperMC wrote:
JoeyL21988 wrote: Someone said that Supers (the joysticks in the HotRod) suck, and that Ultimates are better. I'd say if you were to buy a HotRod, switch in some Ultimates or Sanwas (if that is possible?).
sikraiken: Diden't know you were here! ;D

Yes, this is acutally EXTREAMLY easy to do! If you have ever seen quick disconnects for elcetrical work then you will know how easy it would be to change.

One other thing: Supers & Ultimates = CRAP. Get either Sanwa (have fun locating one, the only place that I know of is Arcade Infinity, but have fun getting them to answer an email. Best bet is ultimarc.com) which feel like the Dreamcast agetec sticks or get a Happs Competition stick.

I can pretty much promise you that it will take no more than 5 min. to change out your arcade stick in one of these once you order it.

-Good luck.
Yeah, I've been here a while. ^_^ I didn't know you were here as well.

Thanks for clearing up what I said previously, and correcting some of my wrong sayings.
boxster
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by boxster »

Chad wrote:i'm sure this won't affect anyone but me: but i can't use my hotrod-se with xp because i have a usb keyboard.
About the only alternative is to use a USB/PS2 adapter/converter and use your USB keyboard essentially as a PS2 keyboard. I did that with my keyboard and the HotRod, and it works fine.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

so someone else did have this problem??? unfortunatley i can't do that because i have another ps/2 game pad that i need to plug in with the hotrod and i can't use the ps/2 game pad + hotrod + a keyboard on the same ps/2 channel :(
-skito