The End

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Mindrape
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

get over yourself

Post by Mindrape »

barry come on dude get over yourself. Hacking emus and ROMs has been a part of the scene since the start (the mindrape incident comes to mind...). Neil, creator of the starscream engine, is a well respected member of the emu community. You should be thanking him for even looking at your project.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

barry said nothing against this, so i'm not sure where you're coming from other than to glorify niel doing something that we already knew could be done with some programing effort, duh, this really sounds like a "stig." that's great he can create emus, and it's a blessing emus can be hacked otherwise we wouldn't have such great games, but it's pitiful when a hacker admits he can break anything, and then cracks something that is pretty easy on the things to hack, when he could be cracking a new rom.
Last edited by Chad on Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-skito
BBH
Editor

Re: get over yourself

Post by BBH »

if you registered on this board just to attempt to stick up for Neill, then that's pretty sad.
Mindrape wrote:Neil, creator of the starscream engine, is a well respected member of the emu community. You should be thanking him for even looking at your project.
HAHAHA. Then again, you're pretty funny! Got any more jokes?
zlk
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by zlk »

****BEGIN QUOTES****

ilparatzo- what's preventing me from downloading the alphamame source (as they are required to provide BY LAW), re-adding the cheat functions like pause/maybe speed changing/etc.... and um
ilparatzo- and then using it to create those fancy-pants encrypted inps?
ilparatzo- seems pointless.
D33ts- it prevents pausing, among other things
ilparatzo- no it doesn't. they provide the source. I could add a pause function to it. gimme an hour.
D33ts- go nuts
Fuzzee- Hehehe.
Fuzzee- Enjoy yourself.
ilparatzo- could do worse, even.
ilparatzo- I'd have no use for it other than to just piss people off, though.
ilparatzo- although that would be a great reason in itself

ilparatzo- I broke the AlphaMAME INP encryption.
SiKrAiKeN- really ilparatzo?
ilparatzo- it's not that great
Fuzzee- Reason for what?
ilparatzo- I can understand why Barry wanted to keep it secret, now. it sucks.
ilparatzo- it's basically XOR using the 8-letter game name as a key.
ilparatzo- with a few other minor details, but nothing substantial.
SiKrAiKeN- ilparatzo: then I'll have to tell him about it.
ilparatzo- hey, go nuts
ilparatzo- make him write a new one. the new one will just get cracked, too.
ilparatzo- AlphaMAME is a bad idea from the start.
SiKrAiKeN- it has a less chance of people cheating atleast.
ilparatzo- not once I write a MAME<->AlphaMAME INP converter.

ilparatzo- how about that? converts any MAME INP into an AlphaMAME INP.
ilparatzo- poor Barry's out of his league
ala- all this trouble just to point out alphamame has no point? ~_~
ilparatzo- trouble?
ilparatzo- took me an hour or two
ilparatzo- I've had flamewars longer than that

ilparatzo- hey
MrMr[iCE]- whats up d00d
ilparatzo- nada mucho, just been invalidating Barry Rodewald's work

****END QUOTES****

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Thanks for looking at alphamame :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

Am I allowed to say that neil should just die? :D
or is that flammable or something...
- Smraedis
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Kale »

Mindrape wrote:Neil, creator of the starscream engine, is a well respected member of the emu community. .
Just wondering from who is respected if he acts like "the Mida that every thing that touches becomes shit"...

And BTW I was ignoring his existance just before all of this crap,and I'm not into emulation affairs from days...
aerolupus
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

What's the point?

Post by aerolupus »

What's the point of AlphaMAME? A means of sending 'encrypted' play session recording files around the net for... ego?

"Yes, my personal best on this shmup is 893,471,027. I can't seem to get past this boss, though -- there's nowhere on the screen that is safe from his crisscross laser attack."

Sheesh, this is even worse than the guy who left his NES on for a week to show his friends some amazing high score he got on Tetris!

What's the point? What's the big deal? Why worry about security? Why are you even worrying about such a TRIVIAL THING here?

REALITY CHECK!
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

You came here to say that, now that IS sad!
- Smraedis
diabolik
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by diabolik »

Mindrape wrote:Neil, creator of the starscream engine, is a well respected member of the emu community. You should be thanking him for even looking at your project.
Yeah, he's really special, isn't he? :roll:
Last edited by diabolik on Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kfx
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: What's the point?

Post by kfx »

aerolupus wrote:What's the point? What's the big deal? Why worry about security? Why are you even worrying about such a TRIVIAL THING here?
So Neill has 2 friends ohh boy, dumb questions will not find an answer.
storm

cpu : P4 3gzh
NotMan
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by NotMan »

Neil, creator of the starscream engine, is a well respected member of the emu community. .

Well! Isn't that a former emu author who wrote the Gauntlet I/II emulator back in '97 before it made to Mame. I wonder if that Neil was pissed off at Aaron Giles about the decryption of Atari infamous slapstics that he couldn't finish it and he just partial dcryption working. At least that I know why he abandoned Gaunt I/II emu just before he finally submit to Mame.

The question is why he do it or just pissed Barry off about his hard work on Alphamame? Anybody could hack regular mame, anytime and why Alphamame???

I'm not angry, but I'm just curious! :)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: What's the point?

Post by The TJT »

aerolupus wrote:What's the point of AlphaMAME? A means of sending 'encrypted' play session recording files around the net for... ego?

"Yes, my personal best on this shmup is 893,471,027. I can't seem to get past this boss, though -- there's nowhere on the screen that is safe from his crisscross laser attack."

Sheesh, this is even worse than the guy who left his NES on for a week to show his friends some amazing high score he got on Tetris!

What's the point? What's the big deal? Why worry about security? Why are you even worrying about such a TRIVIAL THING here?

REALITY CHECK!
This is highscore site, which uses replay as proof. What is the point for highscore at a game if someone else makes better by cheating.

Sure, many people are proud of their highscores, me included, why should I not be? You're maybe too young to remember how fun it's to have initials on top of the higscore list at arcade.

Yes, this is only about games, but you would not know anything about mastering a game then?
People have many kinds of hobbys, and are competing even more trivial things than videogames.

But these things are conversated here already many times, some years ago. How would you know anything about that if this is your first visit.

Hacking Alphamame serves no other purpose than to boost young mans ego, bragging rights deserved -why he told you about this... Making it public clearly shows that.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I used to respect Neill. Like, before all this crap happened.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

What neill has done...and in his attitude as shown in the above quoted chat is nothing short of just showing total disrespect toward Barry and the MARP community and the 100s of active players that just like to honestly compete at games.

...and you expect us to respect someone that disrespects others so maliciously like this? Gimme a break. Why do you pat someone on the back for doing this? It just makes him feel good about it where he will do it more cuz he knows it impresses a few other losers and can piss others off. That's sad.

Those that do respect him for doing these types of actions must be lowlife hackers themselves...or those that just cheat at everything possible in life screwing all others.

You guys are nothing short of "criminals" within a gaming community.

What does alphamame do? Well, for the typical player...who doesn't go hacking up inp files to submit to cheat even with regular mame...it prevents them from pausing or playing games at slow speeds without the MARP score confirmers being aware of it so they can DQ the score.

Even if alphamame had no encryption at all but just deactivated the pause and tracked the speed in the inps that would cover 99% of all that would perhaps "cheat"...whether intentional or not...by pausing the game or playing it at a slow speed. That's still valuable....Sure it might still occur...but at a much less rate.
Skyline
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Skyline »

/me takes all of Neill and Co.'s quotes and slaps 'em together

Further proof that inbreeding is wrong. -_-;

Eh...I must be naive or somethin'...when one registers with MARP and submits scores isn't it done honestly by default? I mean maybe I'm high off of my ass or something but isn't this all supposed to be friendly competition? You wouldn't outright cheat in a friendly competition would you? Well...Neill would and his boyfriends..dunno about everyone else.

Yeah anyone with a few hours of spare time and nothing resembling a social life coulda dissected AlphaMAME and found out how it works. Of course none of us bothered because we actually liked MARP and what it stood for, and what Barry was doing for it. Yeah according to you the security structure was "simple". But it was efficient in the tasks that it was created to do, which was track game speed, disable pausing, etc. Things that have been known to be exploited in the past.

On top of that you had the balls to go to #marp and publicly ANNOUNCE that you're a fucking parasite. The internet equivalent of running around Iraq wearing an American-Flag Three-Piece Suit. I personally can't figure out how anyone in their right mind would approve of what you did, much less kiss your ass about it.
「シューティング ラブ。」