Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Suspicious technique in B-Wings

Post by Metrackle »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/8/c/5/hy ... mame68.zip
I watched Sakai's B-Wings recording and I noticed that he used a technique that is hard for me to explain, but I'll try my best: he hit button two numerous times to constantly cancel out of the wings in order to rack up points (2000 a pop). He also leeched quite a bit with this technique and never even got past Stage 11 (he would if he didn't keep focusing on leeching). I have some reasons why this technique should be banned:

-At certain points, this can be done infinitely (mainly in Stages 8 and 11, where those wings are needed to destroy the boss).
-Once you learn how to perform this technique well, you can endlessly rack up an extra life (or two) without much effort.
-It destroys the spirit of the game. Just finish the levels to the best of your skill, whether this game ends or not.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I tend to agree - far too much leeching on stages 8 and 11. There wouldn't be so much of an issue if it couldn't be done over and over continuously like in those stages.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by Haze »

is it just me or does the bonus at the end of the game make the scoring on it pointless, it just seems to max out the score (watch the 99999999 one)

score should be counted before bonus? otherwise (unless theres some secret to it) you're just going to end up with a bunch of people on max score who complete it ...
Metrackle
Mutant Puzzle Freak

Post by Metrackle »

I think it should be a five lives only game.
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

When four or five others start doing it, call me. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer