king of fighters 99 and king of fighters 2000 scoring

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

How to score king of fighters 99/2000

Poll ended at Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:52 pm

Score it "originally" only (the way it is now)
14%
Score it "originally" with "traditional" scoring for bonus/boss rounds
21%
Add up "original" scores after each match and add "traditional" scoring for bonus/boss rounds
64%

Total votes: 14

Chad
Tournament Coordinator

king of fighters 99 and king of fighters 2000 scoring

Post by Chad »

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... rt&tourn=0
http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... rt&tourn=0

The scoring systems are bunk for these games, because the score can actually go down when you progress to the next match and it doesn't give extra points for finishing bosses off (as exemplified in hunter-killer's recording). The "original" scoring system ranges from 0-1000 based upon a hidden (althogh proly documented somewhere) computed skill level. And goes up or down after each match.

We could convert it to marp "traditional" figher scoring, where you add 10 for each round won minus 1 for each round loss. But i think we should keep the "original" points in there somewhere.

I like the third option because this keeps a score from an excellent match in the mix, wheras if you screw up in a later match your good score might get lost.
-skito
Hunter Killer-DF
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Hunter Killer-DF »

I have a suggestion, since scoring in these games are mostly based on player's skill:

Original score plus:

75 for each boss beaten - 25 for each characters' loss for the bosses.
If a player doesn't beat a boss the score remains the same.

Example: KOF2000 score of 400, beat Kula straight, beat Zero with 3rd guy.

Score would be: 400 + 75 + (75-50) = 500.

Example 2: kof99 score of 450, beat 1st Krizalid with 2nd guy and beat 2nd Krizalid with 3rd guy.

Score would be: 450 + (75-25) + (75-50) = 525.

This prizes players who can beat bosses straight.

Well, that's an I idea. Hope it's not too much complicated... :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

that's a good one but it's very similar to the Traditional marp fighter scoring, and we'd want to keep everything as decimal as possible to make the math easier, And for these since the "original" scoring is high already we would just multiply everything traditional by 10, I was thinking for suggestion#2 + #3 the traditional score *10 would be used, so your score would be

400 + (100-0) + (100-20) = 580

for suggestion #2 and for suggestion #3 ( i DONT have the real after match scores right so i'm guessing)

200 + 300 + 415 + 400 + (100-0) + (100-20) = 1495

That way you don't lose that 415 you got in the middle of the recording...

if anyone who voted for #3 wanted to use a NON multiple of 10 traditional scoring please post, i figured NOT multiplying the traditional score by a multiplier wouldn't give the finishing bonus enough credit...
-skito