WRX2

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Judging by the speeds of one of his alphamame uploads, (I think it was s1945iii), he probably has something in the range of 1.1-1.2GHz. The speeds he got were around 10% faster that what I get, and my system is a 950MHz Athlon.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

LN2 wrote:I think in this case it's very suspect.
If he is 1 person it almost gives the impression perhaps he is taking inps from another high score site or other people and submitting them as his own or something.
However, it's one of the reasons I think WRX2 might be a team instead of just 1 person. Several people as a team would perhaps use different versions of mame to play. It's also what you would see if he is getting the scores from other sites or people etc. and reclaiming them as his own and submitting to MARP.
Me too, I found his scores very suspect. But, if he take these inp on other site or if WRX2 is a team, the nick for the scores at the end of the game will be not the same for each inps. No ?

Francois
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Re: MsPacman Fruit

Post by LordGaz »

However, WRX2 got great fruit the entire game. He had the kind of fruit that you likely would get one out of every 1000+ games played or maybe even 1 out of 10,000 played. It was amazing fruit.
But the type of fruit that comes out can only be pseudorandom. It wouldn't suprise me if the fruit depended on what the score was at certain points in the game. For example if the 10s and 100s digits match when the fruit comes out then you get a banana etc.. a bit like the Bubble Bobble idea.

Gaz.
Novice
The greatest info supplyer

Post by Novice »

Defcon= 3
LN2 wrote:However, WRX2 got great fruit the entire game. He had the kind of fruit that you likely would get one out of every 1000+ games played or maybe even 1 out of 10,000 played. It was amazing fruit.
LN2 can not do anything else "complaing." why not do other act?? :lol:

Check the score/timing/pattern to find out the rule of fruit :!: :!:

there are very few factor of random in early games.
it may have rule.
find out the rule is one of the big fun of game! is not it??
knowledge is power. ignorance means loser.
stupid always lose.
this is the game!

good luck. I wish LN2 's effort rather than complaing.

and one my opinion.
each of they had better use an unique name.
are they all Korean??
DEFence CONdition
WAR 1<< >>7 PEACE
SJK
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by SJK »

Francois Daniel wrote:
LN2 wrote:I think in this case it's very suspect.
If he is 1 person it almost gives the impression perhaps he is taking inps from another high score site or other people and submitting them as his own or something.
However, it's one of the reasons I think WRX2 might be a team instead of just 1 person. Several people as a team would perhaps use different versions of mame to play. It's also what you would see if he is getting the scores from other sites or people etc. and reclaiming them as his own and submitting to MARP.
Me too, I found his scores very suspect. But, if he take these inp on other site or if WRX2 is a team, the nick for the scores at the end of the game will be not the same for each inps. No ?

Francois
he/they might have made them to all use the same name? but if this a team, then K is in it...
- Smraedis
DRN
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by DRN »

I always thought teams were illegal on marp, or strongly discouraged anyway. I remember reading a thread about it not so long ago. The thing is in this case how do you enforce it? You can't prove that this is a team even if it does seem far too many submissions by just one person. What can you do?? If it is ONE guy and he isn't using slowdown techniques then hats off to him because he is some sort of arcade whiz who can take his hand to any shooter but he probably hasn't left the house in the last few months!
My personal opinion is that the whole WRX2 thing is a bit dodgy, but if there's no solid proof we'll just have to live with it.
Darren
horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by horsie »

Something else to note is that the INPs in wrx2_mspacman-fast_889260_mame64.zip and wrx2_pacgal-fast_851161_win64.zip are date-stamped some time in February 1999. Maybe this points to them being from another source/player?

It doesn't really say anything either way, but I thought I'd point it out. :)
horsie
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by horsie »

horsie wrote:Something else to note is that the INPs in wrx2_mspacman-fast_889260_mame64.zip and wrx2_pacgal-fast_851161_win64.zip are date-stamped some time in February 1999. Maybe this points to them being from another source/player?
Oh yeah! and those MAME versions didn't exist back then.....

Btw, I'm not accusing anyone of cheating, I'm just pointing out some obvious anomalies.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

hmm, VERRRY interesting, thanks horsie, not that it's really "evidence" that points to anything but certainly abnormal.
-skito
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

His computer clock could be wrong. ~_~

Look! This file attached inside the zip was made 8 years before I was even born! -_-
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

Very nice observation, horsie. It appears that we now have bloodhorses instead of the usual bloodhounds for MARP sleuthing. ;-) Interesting player, this WRX2...either a practicing mindfucker or a practicing snake oil salesman...or could it be? A legit player! Only time will tell. I watch with rapt interest.
Last edited by JoustGod on Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: MsPacman Fruit

Post by LN2 »

LordGaz wrote:But the type of fruit that comes out can only be pseudorandom. It wouldn't suprise me if the fruit depended on what the score was at certain points in the game. For example if the 10s and 100s digits match when the fruit comes out then you get a banana etc.. a bit like the Bubble Bobble idea.

Gaz.
We have had big discussion of the fruit for mspac at the Twin Galaxies forums. How it is pseudo is fairly well known because some deassembled the roms and figured it out from the code.

It has nothing to do with the score. It's all based on time and a counter that cycles so many times per second.

If interested check out the forums at http://www.twingalaxies.com in the coin-op forum..or search for mspac fruit and you will find those threads easily.

We get into calculating the most probable score and odds(confidence limits) of having games where your fruit is beyond the statistical average.

WRX2's 889k game was way above the average fruit. You can see he played another for pac-gal fast reaching the kill screen also yet has 50k less in score. That game was more average. That shows just how great his fruit was that one game. He was roughly 45-50k above the average.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Novice wrote:Defcon= 3
LN2 wrote:However, WRX2 got great fruit the entire game. He had the kind of fruit that you likely would get one out of every 1000+ games played or maybe even 1 out of 10,000 played. It was amazing fruit.
LN2 can not do anything else "complaing." why not do other act?? :lol:
I don't get how you quote that line and say that's complaining. It's saying the fruit in that game was amazing.

Also Novice, I hope next time you post in a thread it's with the idea of actually contributing to the thread topic instead of just ATTACKING other players again. Your post above contributes absolutely nothing to this thread except to once again call me ignorant and stupid. If you are going to keep doing that do us all a favor and leave MARP forever. Thanks.
Check the score/timing/pattern to find out the rule of fruit :!: :!:

there are very few factor of random in early games.
it may have rule.
Yes...it's quite defined...but quite pseudo-random as well if those that diassembled and interpretted the code are correct. I have full knowledge of those projects. There are a couple threads about it discussed a couple months ago at http://www.twingalaxies.com .
knowledge is power. ignorance means loser.
stupid always lose.
this is the game!
Exactly and I am very knowledgable when it comes to mspac or the other pacman type games. I am far more knowledgable and skilled at those game than you ever will be Novice. Again you just decide to attack me with NO basis for doing so. Go crawl back into the hole you came from.

MARP doesn't need members who just post to call others stupid and ignorant for no reason.
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

welp wrx2 may be on the right track, a squeaky clean tgmame recording. he certainly didn't record this one a couple decades ago :)

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/wrx2_99l ... mame64.zip
-skito
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Right...if there are a bunch of Korean players behind the name, you really can't judge legality of a recording based on one alpha-/tgmame recording. After all, different players have diffent(slow/fast) computers and different principles about autofire, pause etc...

If one recording is done with computer clock screwed, and other ones have right timestamps, whatt does it prove...Nothing, but one of the team members have hes pc clock set at wrong time.
If some recordings have slowdown/autofire -and some don't...what does it prove, well, figure it out.

I don't have anything against that kind of team though, I would not care if the whole Korea played under the same name...Ok, maybe a bit irritating if you cannot get emailed to the exact player who made the recording.