Thanks..

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

QRS
Editor

Thanks..

Post by QRS »

.. to all of you that voted to allow all kinds of leeching on the toki poll. Thanks to you we now have firstplace recordings that are twice as high in score, twice as long as a "normal" finish of the game. And you know what? He didn´t even finish the game.

I hope we learn by this and in the future at least TRY to discourage leeching even if it is a grey area.

ps:This is not a rant, blame, nor flaming, nor personal to anyone. I´m just stating my opinion and the facts :)

Cheers.
QRS
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Well, I thought one thing that came out of that thread was to add a special rule that the game must at least be completed for that leeching method to be allowed. To allow that leeching with no real intent to finish the game isn't right IMHO. A skilled player can still leech in those spots yet also complete the game.

I do hope that requirement is added.
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

I still think that this tech should be banned.. no skill at all involved. Everything is better that allowing that one.. Even the level1 boss cheating.

And yes of course the game must be finished (my opinion).. If I can do it he can :)
Maybe he is too buzy leeching at stage 5 to bother? Sounds "fun" to me :p

Cheers!
QRS
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

How about to finish the game as fast as possible, fastest being firstest...

BTW QRS, your avatar stinks :wink:
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Ohh and F**k you too Tommi! *joking of course* :)

Maybe I should change it into the energized Ace instead :)
QRS
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re...

Post by AL »

QRS/Tommi : maybe I will shame you all, with an avatar from ' Super-Don Quixote ' . ( Providing I remember how to do it.....) .

As for the Toki Poll......well it kinda sucks . But then again , the downside of 'Democracy' rears it's ugly side , yet again .

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
LordGaz
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

re: leeching vote

Post by LordGaz »

QRS wrote:
I hope we learn by this and in the future at least TRY to discourage leeching even if it is a grey area.
Well I haven't changed my mind on this, I am a purist and when I joined MARP I thought the idea was to get the high score for a game and post your inp. Since I've joined, people have left and new people have joined imposing new rules. It seems that the younger generation of players have no interest in the actual score of a game, they just want to see games 'completed'.

Actually the idea of completing a game was one of the things that marked the end of the 'golden era' of video games, another price of progress.

Cheers, Gaz
tmorrow
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by tmorrow »

Well I voted for it and I'm still in support the current rule as the best of the given options in the poll. I did not want to see a 'no leech' option because I could see it leading to chaos. People would 'accidently die' to get more points, accusations would be made of deliberate deaths even when it was an accident. The game does not have much scope for score variation because of the fixed enemy, fixed points design. The only exception is on some bosses where points are awarded for shooting things (monkeys in stage 1, hands in stage 5).

If we have yet another vote then the options should be refined again. I'm partial to the "one life, leech like crazy" option myself as it will keep the leeching down although the "leech like crazy but must finish the game" is good too. The idea of "finish game as fast as possible" and sum up the time remaining as the score is not bad.

Finally, the current recordings are crap but they won't stay that way, a recording will appear in due course with max leech + finish on last life - I have no doubt.
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by kranser »

I also support the "maximising score" [leech], and agree that it is the only way of beating other high scores.

I look forward to a leech like hell + complete game on last life recording too!!

The only poll that would change my mind is one to allow "leech like hell but only 1 life allowed". I would accept such a proposal, but all other suggestions to ban leeching seem too restrictive to me.

Kranser.
wuzel
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by wuzel »

as far as i know ther is an inp in which my friend des did actually finished the game of toki or maybe im wrong???

http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/dtr_toki ... _win62.zip
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

yes he did finish one of the Toki clones.. but that was after I had started this thread.
QRS