Should this be allowed? (Mortal kombat II hack)

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

QRS
Editor

Should this be allowed? (Mortal kombat II hack)

Post by QRS »

I just watched Jinx recording of mk2r42 and he proves that you can actually marathon this hack version..

As long as you fight Jade the games loops back a few matches and over and over etc.

It seems that Jinx got tired of it after he fought about 50 rounds and then ignored Jade. Then the game went on and he finished it.

This does not stop another person from getting 51 wins etc etc. The game does not get any harder..

Have a look at the recording here:
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/xz_mk2r4 ... mame61.zip

We might have to get some limit here maybe? Only allowed to fight Jade once or something? After all it should not be possible to fight her more than once :)

Cheers
QRS
QRS
Editor

Re

Post by QRS »

Well it seems that the score is already confirmed. I did not confirm it because I though it was better to wait for some words from the editors first :)

Anyway, the question still stands. 15 person has watched this post, so come on and say something ! :)

cheers
QRS
AL
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re...

Post by AL »

err....I'm not an editor ????

:D :D :D

Touche...

AL
HAL: " It's puzzling . I've never seen anything quite like this before..? "
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Yeah, I'm not an editor either 8) I'm the guilty party of confirming it - but I just watch the games now - I have no opinion either way.

Gee, I'm much of a help, aren't I?
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Alex and Pete.. not much help from you I guess :)

Ok to make things more clear:

I need opinions on my first post (And yes both from the editors an the public )

Then I need some final words from any editor (And that is not you Alex! j/k)

Hej!
QRS
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

I would really like to give you my opinion on this, but I can't get it to playback. He loses 2 fights to Baraka and the game is over. Any special settings to play this back?

But from your description, it sounds like something that should be banned.

Bye.
Frankie
Jinx
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Jinx »

Just ban it.
You should only be allowed to fight Jade once.

Frankie: There is some issues regard win98 and win xp on mk2 in the later mame versions. The recording is made with win xp.
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

Jinx wrote:Frankie: There is some issues regard win98 and win xp on mk2 in the later mame versions. The recording is made with win xp.
Ahh, that explains it. I'm running Win98.
Frankie
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

i've watched it and it sort of looks legit. I never knew there was a 50 MK2 icon for 50 wins. I guess is the loop achieved by accident or by knowledge of something to get it to go into the loop? If the loop can be maintained indefinitley then it should be banned.

qrs, it's ok to confirm recordings that are of a banned nature, the confirm is strictly for playbackability confirmation. rules and regulations can be debated on another vein and scores zereod after they are confirmed...
-skito
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Chad:I know that I am allowed to confirm a score even if the score should be banned or something. I just wanted to wait until I heard some opinions about it that´s all :)

And about the Jinx recording:

This is a hack version of mk2 and the loop after killing jade is NOT in the other romsets. the game "should" just go on and in the end have a max score of about 300+ points.

There is a bug that if you kill Jade you go back etc, and as long as you fight her again (easy, just use lowkick ONLY in the round before the "?")
it will loop forever... Hence why Jinx got tired after 100 wins and forced the game to a finish :)

And yes there is an icon of 50 wins in mk2. You seldom see it if you don´t play agains a crap player on a 2player game though :)

Note:When I watched the recording I said "DAMN" when Jinx missed one round after about 48-49 wins in a row.. if I remember correctly you get to fight "Noob Saibot" if you manage 50 wins in a row.

Cheers
QRS
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

ok this is banned, but i would have liked to see the noob fight too :(
-skito
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

Chad:

You can always start a 2 player game and kill the 2player over and over again. At least that worked on the genesis version or mk2 ;)

Otherwise you can start the mk2 romset that is called "challenge" something wich has more question marks in it. Sometimes you get to play smoke and Noob saibot in those. Bevare though it is hard to see that guy.. he is black as the ace of spades :)
QRS
Jinx
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Jinx »

Innuendo's recording should be zeroed to.
http://marp.retrogames.com/inp/rsm_mk2r ... m37b14.zip

To fight Noob Saibot in mk2 you need 50, 2 player wins in a row
in mk2r42 you need 6, 2 player wins in a row
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

-skito
Alpha
Button Masher
Button Masher

Post by Alpha »

Just to mention that there is a bug like this in UMK3. When you finish the game and fight against noob saibot (4th square), you win one round and you lose one. Then in the 3th round you need to win the fight without completely finishing your oppenent. You do this by making sure you have more life energy then your opponent when the timer gets to 0. After that you can choose again a battle plan, ... I once got to about 50 wins in a row, but you can go on as long as you want with 1 credit.