the 'tournaments' are good to see

General discussion on MAME, MARP, or whatever else that doesn't belong in any of the other forums

Moderators: mahlemiut, seymour, QRS

Haze
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

the 'tournaments' are good to see

Post by Haze »

while I can't compete in them because quite honestly I suck at the majority of the games the 'tournaments' / challenges you do like the WCC recently are rather interesting to watch ... testing the players abilities here to the maximum etc.

There are some games on MARP which don't have that many replays at all, in some cases they're not the most interesting of games, but It'd be nice to see more replays, how about doing some tournament which consists mainly of these less popular games, it would test players abilities to learn new games for example, as well as providing quality replays on MARP for such games.

A couple of titles I've emulated spring to mind

dommy - only has 4 replays atm
mugsmash - only 4 replays
shadfrce - only 3 (although 2 do basically say the game is retarded :-p)
welltris - 3 replays
ninjakun - 3 replays

not sure, maybe they could be mixed in with more popular games, but it'd certainly be 'cool' to see more replays for them, and in a competition environment people have more to play for. None of the mentioned games are especially demanding, so shouldn't rule too many people out of competition and I'm sure there must be other games in Mame which aren't that well covered here yet ... (unless the games I emulate really do suck that much ;-)

http://haze.mame.net
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: the 'tournaments' are good to see

Post by sikraiken »

Haze wrote:while I can't compete in them because quite honestly I suck at the majority of the games the 'tournaments' / challenges you do like the WCC recently are rather interesting to watch ... testing the players abilities here to the maximum etc.
Haze, it's not about if you suck, it's about the fun. I suck at Arcade games, but that doesn't stop me from playing here.
Haze wrote:There are some games on MARP which don't have that many replays at all...
I haven't gotten to many games emulated by MAME, and sometimes when I try games for the first time I end up sometimes enjoying them, and sometimes not. Some of the ones I don't first enjoy, I sometimes end up liking them later, but not all the time. I can't speak for the other people on this. :)
Haze wrote:(unless the games I emulate really do suck that much ;-)
I haven't looked at the list of games you emulated, but if someone has emulated a game, that's awesome. I don't care what game it is, it's quite an accomplishment to emulate a game yourself, even if the game does or doesn't suck. :)
xanadu71
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by xanadu71 »

while I can't compete in them because quite honestly I suck at the majority of the games the 'tournaments' / challenges you do like the WCC recently are rather interesting to watch
Well, it's what i said too when the competition has started. And you know what... I WON. :lol: What a surprise! I'm not a superman in playing but i've succeeded in beating some great players like QRS, Frankie and others.
Try and you'll know if you're sucking
"Bury me with my money", Simon GREEDWELL from "SUNSET RIDERS" / Xanadu71=LeClaqueurFou
http://www.twitch.tv/xanadugcp WR attempts, follow me !
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

xanadu71 wrote:
while I can't compete in them because quite honestly I suck at the majority of the games the 'tournaments' / challenges you do like the WCC recently are rather interesting to watch
Well, it's what i said too when the competition has started. And you know what... I WON. :lol: What a surprise! I'm not a superman in playing but i've succeeded in beating some great players like QRS, Frankie and others.
Try and you'll know if you're sucking
Ohhhh, thank you, but I really think you should put BBH in there instead of me. I'm nothing compared to him and QRS :)
Frankie
xanadu71
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by xanadu71 »

Ohhhh, thank you, but I really think you should put BBH in there instead of me. I'm nothing compared to him and QRS
Frankie you're the 4th all-time player. It isn't nothing and you played almost all wcc's games. BBH played only games which he's interested with a chance to win. :wink:

Sorry Frankie. After i looked the scoreboard you're the 3rd all-time player.
TOTAL RESPECT :D
"Bury me with my money", Simon GREEDWELL from "SUNSET RIDERS" / Xanadu71=LeClaqueurFou
Frankie
Editor

Post by Frankie »

xanadu71 wrote:Sorry Frankie. After i looked the scoreboard you're the 3rd all-time player. TOTAL RESPECT :D
Yes, but take a look at the average :wink:
Frankie
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

xanadu71 wrote:
Ohhhh, thank you, but I really think you should put BBH in there instead of me. I'm nothing compared to him and QRS
Frankie you're the 4th all-time player. It isn't nothing and you played almost all wcc's games. BBH played only games which he's interested with a chance to win. :wink:
Do you really think I thought I had a chance at winning Puzzled? I knew for sure I wouldn't, puzzle games in general aren't my thing.

In case you didn't notice, I didn't play anything after Week 4... I decided to stop and figured my time was better spent on other games.
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

BBH wrote:...figured my time was better spent on other games.
Like ESP.RA.DE!!!!
BBH
Editor

Post by BBH »

JoeyL21988 wrote:
BBH wrote:...figured my time was better spent on other games.
Like ESP.RA.DE!!!!
actually, I was playing hardcore Shock Troopers around Week 5 (Liquid Kids)... but yeah, that too. ;)

BTW, to Haze: Shadow Force isn't THAT retarded a game, but the concept of the "bonus stage" is. Your lifebar's filled up, you have to fight a nasty battle against another character with a lifebar of the same size. If you lose, you go into the next level with zero life, if you win you go into the next level with however much life you had when you won (which probably won't be that much). Some bonus stage huh? It basically dooms you to die pretty fast on the next stage, which isn't a good combination when you only have one life.
xanadu71
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

Post by xanadu71 »

Do you really think I thought I had a chance at winning Puzzled? I knew for sure I wouldn't, puzzle games in general aren't my thing.

In case you didn't notice, I didn't play anything after Week 4... I decided to stop and figured my time was better spent on other games.
It's your right and i respect it. Maybe you could win on other games. :wink: I just continued to play for trying to beat scores from great players. It was my motivation. :)
QRS
Editor

Re

Post by QRS »

Well thanks for the kind words, but I have to say this:

I don´t really rank a player out of his leaderboard place. The leaderboard is only a funny thing that is like a "game on its own" so to speak. The real skill is of course in mastering the games.

I like the idea with the leaderboard, but the games are more important I think.

Just my two cents.

Regards

QRS
QRS
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

not better said, qrs. everyone is a great gamer here, some of us just have more games than others that we are currently great at. And the leaderboard doesn't necesarily tell that, although you can make a few inferences from it.
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Here Here! :) Well said, Anders.
-roncli