Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

CrazyJim
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Whats the deal with playchoice 10 time?

Post by CrazyJim »

Do I get 2100 seconds per life?
So if you start with 3 lives, you get 6300 seconds?
And earn 2100 seconds per life?

How does this work?
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

No, you get 1 credit ONLY. You get max time by changing Units of time (coin A/coin B) to 300/3900. Now you change the Timer speed to 1 unit every 4 seconds. You have to do this for every game that you play on Playchoice. You then get the most time for ONE CREDIT by pressing coin two, which should give you 3900. This is all the time you get.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

JoeyL21988 wrote:No, you get 1 credit ONLY. You get max time by changing Units of time (coin A/coin B) to 300/3900. Now you change the Timer speed to 1 unit every 4 seconds. You have to do this for every game that you play on Playchoice. You then get the most time for ONE CREDIT by pressing coin two, which should give you 3900. This is all the time you get.
...Which makes 3900sec*4 /3600 =4,333 hours
Phil Lamat
Regulation Coordinator

Post by Phil Lamat »

And once your dipswitchs are saved in the cfg file, you have just to type the sequence 6-0-2 to start game
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

I think it's 4 1/3 hours, actually (3900 * 4 = 15,600 seconds/3600 [3600 = sec/per min (60) * min/per hour (60)] = 4.3333 hours. [repeating])

Anyone want to tell me who's math is right?
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

both of your maths are right, just in different countries. comma is a decimal point in finland (i'm guessing:)
-skito
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

Ah, kinda like the commas for thousands, millions, etc are .(dots) in Japan, and they do them every 4 places or whatever instead of 3. :)
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by The TJT »

Chad wrote:both of your maths are right, just in different countries. comma is a decimal point in finland (i'm guessing:)
I thought dot is used as decimal point only in Northern America :)
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

The TJT wrote:
Chad wrote:both of your maths are right, just in different countries. comma is a decimal point in finland (i'm guessing:)
I thought dot is used as decimal point only in Northern America :)
Oh i'm sorry, the decimal point is a comma in Foreign countries :lol:
-skito
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Why?

Post by roncli »

What's the philosophy behind the time limits? Is it to prevent people like me from putting Dr. Mario in Novice mode and playing forever? :)
-roncli
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Re: Why?

Post by The TJT »

roncli wrote:What's the philosophy behind the time limits? Is it to prevent people like me from putting Dr. Mario in Novice mode and playing forever? :)

The philosophy is stupid.

Once upon a time at marp there was a big debate concerning pc10 credits because it was "marp rule" that you can only use one credit in a game... The final decision was to change time parameters for a credit, so that several credits were not to be used.

There was a lot of bullshit talk because some just didn't understand that credits/coins inserted should be understood as time units not as credits or continues. Well, stupid is what stupid does.

there should be somewhere a longish thread called like pc10...

http://marp.retrogames.com/index.cgi?mo ... 00&tourn=0
QRS
Editor

RE

Post by QRS »

What I find more stupid is that there was a vote later on so multiple credits was allowed on Lemmings... What happend to the one credit rule there?
I know that it´s the best way for lemmings, but in my opinion it was for the playchoice games too :)

Anyway time for some more Kikikaiki. BBH has raped me again :)

Cheers

QRS
QRS
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

The PC-10 trouble came based off a position where the regulation coordinator shot the vote down and there was nothing we could do about it.

This possibility is much harder to achieve now.

Therefore, as a member, you have the right to change the PC-10 to unlimited credits if you want - we made lemmings 99 credits, I don't see why we can't make PC-10 unlimited credits. However, you need to get a two-thirds vote in order to make PC-10 unlimited credits. (one credit only is a standing rule, so it requires a 2/3 majority)

Source: http://marp.retrogames.com/rules/memberrights.htm
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

My first time

Post by roncli »

So, I would just start a new topic, list the affected games, what I am proposing, and add a 7 day poll?

Also, there are certain games that don't have specific scoring (SMB2 comes to mind) that were discussed. Would that require a separate poll as well? I don't wanna spam the forums with a bunch of polls unless it's absolutely necessary. :)
-roncli
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

I think all games w/o a scoring method should be scored upon how fast you can finish the game (be it with ALL the levels, or with the fewest levels, that would be decided by a vote if it were to occur).