Final try to stop all leeching in Toki.

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

What do we do about the leeching in Toki?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:48 pm

1 - Nothing, let's leech.
59%
2 - No leeching at all.
18%
3 - Leech on one life on Boss 1 & 2.
23%

Total votes: 22

MKL
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by MKL »

Well, the leeching itself may certainly be boring but in the end, when the player has to move on and kill the plant it becomes extremely exciting: it's a very difficult duck'n jump job, one mistake will totally ruin your day...it's like watching Russian roulette or tight-rope walking...very exciting! You do have to be a real master to *survive* that leeching.

NOBODY

CAN

DENY

THIS
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

Hold it... Didn't someone earlier say that Toki was really easy?

I think now that some sort of lives remaining bonus for completing the game would be a far better idea.
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
MKL
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by MKL »

mahlemiut wrote:I think now that some sort of lives remaining bonus for completing the game would be a far better idea.
No. That leeching only lasts 15 minutes or so, not hours as someone seems to think, so it's perfectly acceptable. Some people seem to get bored way too easily these days, but that's only their problem...
kranser
MARP Knight
MARP Knight

score by level reached?

Post by kranser »

Maybe we should redefine how scoring is done in MARP.

For most games (including Toki), the fariest method would be to score
based on level reached (i.e. if you complete the game that you will be in the largest-score category). Only then, will the actual game score play a part (i.e. everyone who finishes the game will have their recordings listed by score). I.e. this enables anyone to leech as much as they want, but they'd need to complete the game for the leeching to be counted as a top score.

This could even apply to puzzle games like Puizzle Bobble, where sometimes major points can be gained in the first few levels.

What do you think?

Kranser.
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

For Toki, I already suggested that and it seemed well received... that you must complete the game for your high score to count for Toki if you did any leeching.

For Toki, this at least adds a risk factor cuz if you do some early level leeching and sacrifice a few of your men for big points, you might not be able to complete the game with the 1-2 men you have left.

For games where you can just earn big points from doing stuff like a "perfect" level or combo hits etc. for big points on early levels, that is just good play for big points...not leeching. People are getting carried away with this. As stated in the past in most cases illegal leeching is obvious in the gameplay.

There are still gray areas though where for some games you can delay a little bit to squeeze out a few extra points each level...after several levels that tends to add up. It's almost impossible to try and govern that type of play.
The TJT
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Man with sideburns

Post by The TJT »