Toki poll - Second try.

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Should the first stage boss leeching be allowed?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:40 pm

Allow all kinds of leeching.
20%
Change the difficulty to "hardest" to prevent the leeching.
80%

Total votes: 20

LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Francois, I think it's mainly cuz you can leech for such a long period of time. You can essentially double your score by leeching versus if you just killed what you needed to to complete the game.

Some noted it makes for boring inps to watch etc.
Others that had good scores for the game not leeching would rather not set a score using leeching tactics.

I haven't watched them but it goes on for quite a long time in the inp from what others said.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by Francois Daniel »

LN2 wrote:Francois, I think it's mainly cuz you can leech for such a long period of time. You can essentially double your score by leeching versus if you just killed what you needed to to complete the game..
The game give approximatively 200 'seconds' for playing. Each 'seconds' equal approximatively 2 real seconds. So, I don't think 400 seconds maximum of leeching are boring, and with F10 and F8 key you can pass it very quickly. It's not the same as some games where leech take hours.

Make the game harder don't prevent from leech. Furthermore Destructor finish the game. For me there is no problems here :)

Francois
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Francois, exactly...and that's why I'm sure most voted(including me even) to allow the leeching as long as the player completes the game.

What started that thread and poll initially was a player just leeched at an early spot the entire time to set a score that was higher than those that had finished the game. That clearly isn't fair to those that finished the game.

You also are talking about making it just 1 man which is an idea....versus the what? 5 men?

You say 400 seconds of time per man...ok you have 5 men so that's 2000 seconds or about 34 minutes of game time....with almost all of it being at a leech spot.

You also need to add time with that first man to advance past the bosses where your time is replenished isn't it?

I think it ended up being where once the leeching starts there is like 30 minutes of it in that 1 spot...can't say for sure without watching the inp. Watch it to see. Yes in verifying you could F10 through it.

I voted to allow it even though it's boring cuz it isn't any odd trick being used or anything...just honest play....but figured to make them prove their skills make them finish the game.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LN2 wrote:What started that thread and poll initially was a player just leeched at an early spot the entire time to set a score that was higher than those that had finished the game. That clearly isn't fair to those that finished the game..
Yes, finish the game is more important than any leech.
LN2 wrote:You say 400 seconds of time per man...ok you have 5 men so that's 2000 seconds or about 34 minutes of game time....with almost all of it being at a leech spot...
Oki, but with F10-F8 key, the time is lowered to 5-7 minutes, I guess. For my old 650 MHz computer
LN2 wrote:I voted to allow it even though it's boring cuz it isn't any odd trick being used or anything...just honest play....but figured to make them prove their skills make them finish the game.
I don't voted because I don't see the poll. I regret because I dont agree the current rule. But its the rule.

Francois
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

I think they actually had 2-3 different polls on Toki to get the current special rules that are there.
Blost
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by Blost »

Hmm finishing the game is not necessary.
At least that's what it seems; it's not in the "special rule" & only one of the clone's top score is a finished game...
LN2
MARPaholic
MARPaholic

Post by LN2 »

Well, there was a poll for this recently and it easily passed that you must finish the game to allow that serious leeching.

Maybe they just haven't gotten it written up in the special rules then...if not then they should...cuz it was passed.
Francois Daniel
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

LN2 wrote:Well, there was a poll for this recently and it easily passed that you must finish the game to allow that serious leeching..
You mean, for Toki ? In this case it's a good rule :)

Francois
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

Since 2002/03, many Toki clones have been added to list. I believe we should extend the Hardest settings special rule also to them (tokiua, and most probably also jujub and jujuba are missing the special rule condition).
Frankie
Editor

Re:

Post by Frankie »

giro-X wrote:Since 2002/03, many Toki clones have been added to list. I believe we should extend the Hardest settings special rule also to them (tokiua, and most probably also jujub and jujuba are missing the special rule condition).
Was looking at it, but it seems I don't have the rights to make SR anymore. Someone else? :)
Frankie
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Re: Re:

Post by BeeJay »

giro-X wrote:Since 2002/03, many Toki clones have been added to list. I believe we should extend the Hardest settings special rule also to them (tokiua, and most probably also jujub and jujuba are missing the special rule condition).
The special rules for Toki have now been copied to any of the more recently added clones that were missing the special rule. I haven't reviewed the one recording on tokiua to confirm if it used hardest settings, mainly because I'm currently at work. The other two clones that were missing the special rules had no recordings uploaded.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
giro-X
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by giro-X »

BeeJay wrote:I haven't reviewed the one recording on tokiua to confirm if it used hardest settings, mainly because I'm currently at work. The other two clones that were missing the special rules had no recordings uploaded.
I viewed it, default settings and so, medium skill level.
BeeJay
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by BeeJay »

giro-X wrote:I viewed it, default settings and so, medium skill level.
I've zeroed the score with an appropriate comment regarding the special rules that were missing for this clone at the time they submitted the recording.

Cheers,
BeeJay.
Kale
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Re: Toki poll - Second try.

Post by Kale »

I don't think this is the correct way to nix good plays of this.
First place on this currently has 886k puntos, in a game where a random 1cc is ~250k.
There are other metrics (lives, coins, remaining time in a single stage) that could be used instead.
Of course it must be given credit to people that has finished this on Hardest, so making that a base multiplier should be taken into account too.