Super Breakout

Discussion about MARP's regulation play

Moderator: BBH

Should Super Breakout (sbrkout) be split into three games, Progressive, Doubles, and Captives?

Poll ended at Mon May 27, 2002 5:25 pm

Yes, split sbrkout into 3 games.
73%
No, leave sbrkout as 1 game.
27%

Total votes: 11

roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Super Breakout

Post by roncli »

In Super Breakout, you have the progressive game as the default, but if you select one of the other games (see "Input (this game)" for the keys that change to the other games), you can choose from the doubles game and the captives game as well.

In this case, since the type of game you play is selectable in the game, I'm suggesting splitting it up into Progressive, Doubles, and Captives.
-roncli
[Poor sig. :P --SarcasmCli]
***PL***
Editor

Post by ***PL*** »

I voted NO because 2-player games are not allowed to count in the leaderboard standings. Also, it doesn't prompt you for the three choices--not intuitive!
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

http://www.klov.com/S/Super_Breakout.html

Doubles means two paddles, two balls at a time, one player.
Captives means one paddle, one ball at a time, two captive balls (the game actually calls it cavity), one player.
Progressive means one paddle, one ball at a time, and the board progresses down as play proceeds.

The whole point of Super Breakout was that it was "three games in one." While it may not be completely intuitive in MAME, it was simple in the arcades. Just use a dial to select the game you want. It doesn't HAVE to prompt you, it was in the controls. I understand why not to split games on DIP switches, but it seems kind of odd that MARP wouldn't allow these modes of such a classic game on the single criteria that it isn't selectable on the screen. Which is why I brought it up for vote. :)
-roncli
mahlemiut
Editor

Post by mahlemiut »

I guess this means that Pat just has to split Super Breakout up now with the vote ending 8-3 in favour of splitting it. :)
- Barry Rodewald
MARP Assistant Web Maintainer
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

Yeah, I had forgotten about this. Horray for email notifications. :) Can't wait to try some doubles! W00t!
-roncli
sikraiken
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by sikraiken »

:)
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

Doubles, no. Captives (cavity), yes. While doubles could theoretically be played by one player, it is still a two-player option nonetheless.
***PL***
Editor

sbrkout version added

Post by ***PL*** »

Again 2 paddles is a 2 player game which is not allowed to count against LB standings. Sorry!! In any event, I've added the other one.

sbrkout-c "Super Breakout (Cavity)"
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

Wait wait wait - hold on now - doubles is NOT a two-player simulataneous game. Did either Pat or JoustGod try it out? I inserted ONE credit, hit the ONE player button, and moved the mouse around, and BOTH paddles moved. Not only that, I inserted TWO credits, hit the TWO player button, and moved the mouse around, and BOTH paddles moved. When I lost both balls, it was player two's turn to move BOTH paddles around. Therefore, the two-player version is like the one-player version of doubles, with alternating turns.

In addition, the input (this game) selection asks for keys for only one paddle, and the analog settings talk about the dial for only one paddle.

So I respectfully ask to research the issue more carefully and split up the game correctly.

Thank you for your attention.
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net
JoustGod
MARP Serf
MARP Serf

Post by JoustGod »

Hmmm...appears I made my comments based on Ron's initial description. It is easy to presume a two-player game when the word "doubles" is used. After checking it out as suggested by GB9, "doubles" in this case does not mean "two-player". I think Pat will find the same thing I did once he gives it a run-through. That being the term "doubles" in this case merely is describing a one-player, double-paddle game.

I stand corrected. :wink:
roncli
MARPaltunnel Wrists
MARPaltunnel Wrists

Post by roncli »

-roncli
Chad
Tournament Coordinator

Post by Chad »

being picky on pat i noticed the games were split but the image link doesn't list all split clones (i.e. sbreakout sbreakout-c, etc...), it only goes to sbreakout. I thought that would be fixed on the fly, i guess there must be a specific database item for that?
-skito
***PL***
Editor

New sbrkout games

Post by ***PL*** »

OK, the the games were added as follows:

sbrkout-p "Super Breakout (Progressive)"
sbrkout-d "Super Breakout (Double)"
sbrkout-c "Super Breakout (Cavity)"

Note the word Double rather than Doubles, hence the confusion! :roll:
Cubist
Button Slapper
Button Slapper

Post by Cubist »

Does MAME emulate the original Breakout yet? If not, is it on the
agenda? I remember when Super Breakout was new in my local
arcade. :lol:
Chris Long, Departments of Mathematics & Statistics, Rutgers University

"Pinky, this baby is our ticket to taking over the world."
gameboy9
MARP Seer
MARP Seer

Post by gameboy9 »

I'm wondering if breakout goes down the line like pong - ran with no files to download whatsoever - maybe it's run off those microchip things, so it won't be emulated by the MAME squad...
Gameboy9 - Founder and coordinator of MARP Time Trials and Olympiad
Founder - Home Action Replay Page - http://www.homeactionreplay.org
http://gameboy9.marpirc.net